Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hofstra Dropping Football Program

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Does Title IX still require the matching of $$ for male and female sports?

Football is probably the most expensive sport, and what they spend on that they also need to spend on chicks sports, who NO BODY watches (or cares about unless you are related or a family friend).

I guess you drop football and put the $$ to education and grants and they don't have to match fund about 15 women's sports.

Btw, my younger brother played for Hofstra in the late 80's.

what a bunch of liberal sh*t- I grew up in Massapequa & my dad took my brother & I to Jets training camp & Hofstra football games every year...need based scholarships....suck my white a$$

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Under Title IX spending must be roughly equal.
    Nothing wrong with women playing sports by the way. A few dozen years behind the social progress of the country? You need to bring yourself into the modern world.
    Hofstra is just being cheap. Add a couple women's sport and it be be done easily. Add womens track and swimming/diving and you're well on your way. Not now though.
    The place is bigger than Duke, Wake Forest, Notre Dame or any Ivy League school. Cheap bastards.
    the school has no money. all the other schools you mention have big fat endowments that can support a football team. you think the Ivy's of this world make any money on football?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was costing notheastern something like 3.5 million a year to run the football team and were averaging 1,200 fans a game. For them it made sense to can the program.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    is the jets place a medical center yet?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bernie Madoff may be a cause of this. He is a Hofstra Alum, and rumor has it the school had alot invested with him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    I think that the Jets leaving Hofstra might have something to do with Hofstra shutting down the football program.

The jets were paying hofstra a substantial amount of money to rent out the facilities. That money was probably used to fund the program which I heard cost about 4.5 million a year, therefore when that money was gone the University could or would not pay the cost to fund football.
    Another example of Woody's commitment to Long Island.

Don't forget to buy you PSL!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess they'll take down to stadium, no reason to maintain a football stadium without a team.
    Which would mean that the Jets scrimmage at Hofstra during training camp won't continue. Maybe they hold one in Stony Brook? Or else they just scrap the idea of throwing the LI fans a bone after ditching them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lacrosse team still plays there. And hopefully they leave that sport alone
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I guess they'll take down to stadium, no reason to maintain a football stadium without a team.
    Which would mean that the Jets scrimmage at Hofstra during training camp won't continue. Maybe they hold one in Stony Brook? Or else they just scrap the idea of throwing the LI fans a bone after ditching them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    The problem with that is that the team still wouldn't draw flies despite having a winning record over the years and some real talent on the team
    at times. Hofstra never properly marketed the team and could never draw an average crowd bigger than 5,000 per home game.

It's a shame, but why keep running a program if no one is going to come out and cheer for it?
    It's sad but true. With all the people on LI, Hofstra could NEVER draw a decent crowd. The HS football championships they played there would draw bigger crowds than Hofstra.

I know some players on the team now personally, first they had budgets fail in HS and almost miss out on playing now this, what a sad day.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 12-03-2009 at 02:22 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Maybe they can rent it to a UFL team...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shuarte Stadium

HOME OF YOUR FIGHTING SENTINELS

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a shame. They had some real momentum behind Hofstra football about 10 years ago. It seemed like it was really started to take off, and then it just sort of ... faded. They could never take that next step. Was probably an impossible mission not being D-1.

You look at where UConn was 10 years ago, and they were nowhere compared to Hofstra. Unfortunately, the CAA is not the Big East...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerricho89 View Post
    http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/new...te_120309.html

This is really the end of any football being played in Hempstead.
    Click on the link for the full announcment.

The Jets could have stayed And built better facilities at hofstra & helped the program out instead they crushed
    the program. thanks Woody

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you want to blame the correct party

send your hate mail to Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, State Assembly, Albany NY

once he pocketed the Dolan thousands and killed the WSS, the new meadowlands deal required that both teams have their permanent training site in New Jersey

Thanks, Sheldon, you stinking bastard

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    When Hofstra redid the stadium a few years ago they made the mistake of not making it large enough to quality as a D1 Stadium. I think they needed like 25 thousand seats or more.

I remember seeing some articles that they were considering adding a 2nd tier to get to the D1 requirement. D1 would have changed everything. Better teams coming in to play would bring the crowds. D1 would mean real Athletic FB Scholarships, etc.

Hofstra build up most of their Athletic Facilities for the other sports but were shortsighted by only putting in 15,000 seats for their new stadium.

The Jets & Brett Farve still hold the largest FB attendance @ Hofstra - and it wasn't even in the stadium. It was @ the Jets practice fields.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Under Title IX spending must be roughly equal.
    Nothing wrong with women playing sports by the way. A few dozen years behind the social progress of the country? You need to bring yourself into the modern world.
    Hofstra is just being cheap. Add a couple women's sport and it be be done easily. Add womens track and swimming/diving and you're well on your way. Not now though.
    The place is bigger than Duke, Wake Forest, Notre Dame or any Ivy League school. Cheap bastards.
    Excuse me?

I don't need Title IX or Affirmative Action NOW to correct ills of the past, real or perceived. Those programs have so outlived their usefullness.

YOU need to bring yourself into the modern world--get your head out of the last century.

And while YOU may think there is nothing wrong with women's sports, forcing Men's sports to subsidize it to me sucks.

Btw, I think Football costs a LOT more than just a few women's programs, so if the program can't support itself and the school subsidizes it, they have to match it. Swimming? Really?

Oh, and I'm sure Hofstra's endowment is SO much larger than Duke or Notre Dame or an Ivy school.

Like Harvard. Can you say BILLIONS?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what does this mean for the Jets going back there for a practice or two? Does that mean the Jets are completely done with New york? What a shame but Rutgers always needs some support and they have GREAT facilities!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Pez View Post
    So what does this mean for the Jets going back there for a practice or two? Does that mean the Jets are completely done with New york? What a shame but Rutgers always needs some support and they have GREAT facilities!

SHOCKING NEWS UPDATE

SUNY Cortland is in NEW YORK where the Jets spent their entire summer training camp

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hofstra football has gotten more attention in the past 2 hours than they did in the previous 10 years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Hofstra football has gotten more attention in the past 2 hours than they did in the previous 10 years.
    69 years probably in reality