Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hofstra Dropping Football Program

Hofstra minus football = Adelphi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by extra714 View Post
    Hofstra minus football = Adelphi
    Hofstra will be fine. They have a respected communications program, a high ranked law school and from what I've heard they're even starting a medical school soon.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    It's sad that Hofstra wasn't getting the school or local support during the games. Did the school warn the local area, along with the students of the school, that they would shut down the Football Program in advance, before they actually shut it down?

All I know is this...If a team such as Hofstra played in a small town/city here in FLorida...Those games would get sold out. High School and college Football is HUGE down here in the south, one of the reasons why teams such as Miami, FLorida, USF and FLorida State ALL have elite talent on the team, year in and year out. Those players on these FLorida teams are pretty much all from FLorida, some are H.S students from Georgia at times.

FL, GA, TX, AL...These southern states live and die for Football...You see little kids playing Football 24/7 when you leave the house, you really never see them playing Baseball. Basketball is pretty big down here, but NOTHING like Football.

Honestly, NY and other Northern States are huge on Baseball and Basketball, Football? Not so much.

As far as the NFL goes...Giants, Bills, Jets, Eagles and Steelers fans are as loyal as they come, as good as they get. Fan bases such as Bucs, Dolphins, Falcons, Saints and Jaguars cant compete with those up north fans but as far as H.S and College Football goes, it's not even close, the SOuth LOVES it.
    +1 College football is BIG in the south. Much more popular than NFL football in a lot of areas!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Hofstra will be fine. They have a respected communications program, a high ranked law school and from what I've heard they're even starting a medical school soon.
    Good for the brainiacs and geeks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    +1 College football is BIG in the south. Much more popular than NFL football in a lot of areas!
    Even HS football is big in the west and the south..

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Excuse me?

I don't need Title IX or Affirmative Action NOW to correct ills of the past, real or perceived. Those programs have so outlived their usefullness.

YOU need to bring yourself into the modern world--get your head out of the last century.

And while YOU may think there is nothing wrong with women's sports, forcing Men's sports to subsidize it to me sucks.

Btw, I think Football costs a LOT more than just a few women's programs, so if the program can't support itself and the school subsidizes it, they have to match it. Swimming? Really?

Oh, and I'm sure Hofstra's endowment is SO much larger than Duke or Notre Dame or an Ivy school.

Like Harvard. Can you say BILLIONS?

You obviously a VERY misinformed person. Have you heard of equal rights? Perhaps black people shoudn't be allowed in colleges? That was a prevailing thought once. Now women should not have equal rights?
    The program sucked and was not supported. It went away.
    I am in this century. I am a conservative but understand that women do have rights.
    And if Hofstra's endowment is low, perhaps it's the cheap people who live on LI or the alumni who are at fault. Perhaps Hofstra grads are not successful enough to support their school?
    BTW, I have a Division 1 coach in the family. So I know my way around these arguments. It is critical to have women's sports because they elevate the overall scores that the NCAA and conferences require. Most women's athletes score A LOT higher than men. A couple men's sports are critical also. A major percentage of the football players getting into certain conferences could not without the women's scores SUBSIDIZING them.
    Ask the athletic director at the college you played ball for about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    who'd Richmond beat???
    Must have beaten some teams - they were national champion last year!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    You obviously a VERY misinformed person. Have you heard of equal rights? Perhaps black people shoudn't be allowed in colleges? That was a prevailing thought once. Now women should not have equal rights? .
    I hope you are not being serious.

Welcome to the 21st century.

AA and Title IX have outlived their usefullness.

Yes, but were Hofstra in the south, it wouldn't be Hofstra.

It'd be some crappy Southern local college. The South sucks.

I think, given a choice, Hofstra would rather be in the North sans football, than be in the South with a real football following.

They are trying to turn out doctors with their new med school, not used car salesman.

Let's see, Southern schools suck? Rice, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Duke, NC, William and Mary, Richmond, Furman, Wofford, Davidson, College of Charleston, Samford.
    That's 12 way better than Hofstra. Off the top of my head.

Hall Of Fame
    Let's see, Southern schools suck? Rice, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Duke, NC, William and Mary, Richmond, Furman, Wofford, Davidson, College of Charleston, Samford.
    That's 12 way better than Hofstra. Off the top of my head.
    Hey-PD, go argue with yourself. I was poking fun at DWC2 for suggesting it would be better for Hofstra to be some local Florida community dump school with a football program than be a North Eastern school trying to impove it's academics.

Seriously, STFU.

I hope you are not being serious.

Welcome to the 21st century.

AA and Title IX have outlived their usefullness.

So you're endorsing re-segregating the country? Taking the vote away from women are you?

And for the record, I am serious and a lot more informed than you.
    Ask your AD about how the system (athlete acceptance) works. Seriously. You know the AD at your school? Right?. I mean you get invited back for the homecoming games and are asked by the AD as a past athlete to make donations? Right? So ask how the system works.

Hall Of Fame
    So you're endorsing re-segregating the country? Taking the vote away from women are you?
    Really? Stop being a doosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    First Northeastern dropped their Football program last week...now Hofstra.
    2 teams in a couple of weeks lost by the CAA.

And that's the best Football conference in Division 1AA.

4 of the remaining 8 teams in the Division 1AA Playoffs are CAA teams.
    (Richmond...Villanova...New Hampshire...William & Mary)

Shame.
    I played against Hofstra when I was at Maine. You're right, it's the best conference in 1-AA (FCS), and Hofstra always had a good team. Hate to see this happening.

Neither my alma mater, Rhode Island nor even New Hampshire (which has had a lot of success in recent years) draw particularly well, and teams hate to travel to Maine. So I fear that those programs may consider dropping as well.

at leat be a div 2 or 3 team and spend less money

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear83 View Post
    I played against Hofstra when I was at Maine. You're right, it's the best conference in 1-AA (FCS), and Hofstra always had a good team. Hate to see this happening.

Neither my alma mater, Rhode Island nor even New Hampshire (which has had a lot of success in recent years) draw particularly well, and teams hate to travel to Maine. So I fear that those programs may consider dropping as well.
    problem is even when they were doing well and were a IAA "powerhouse" in the late 90's the attitude towards and support of the program was lukewarm at best....