Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Become an Electrician?

How to Become an Electrician?

My son is looking to become an electrician. He has a year and half in college but he finds that it’s not for him. He has a great aptitude for electrician work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hall Of Fame
    If any electricians check in, I had 4 light bulbs blow in a twenty four hour period yesterday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3385855]If any electricians check in, I had 4 light bulbs blow in a twenty four hour period yesterday.[/QUOTE]

See, this is the difference between you and I; I saw this thread, read it, saw I had nothing to offer in regards to a heartfelt plea for info. from a father about his son, so I moved on.

Is anything sacred?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3385832]My son is looking to become an electrician. He has a year and half in college but he finds that it’s not for him. He has a great aptitude for electrician work. Does anyone have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
    [URL]http://www.delhi.edu/[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3385855]If any electricians check in, I had 4 light bulbs blow in a twenty four hour period yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Could be a loose neutral wire. Are they all on the same circuit? If they are, I would check where the white wire bugs to the neutral bar in your panel. If not there...check the wirenuts on the neutrals in the switch boxes on that circuit.

To the OP: Have your son start working for a contractor. On the job experience will teach you waaay more than any amount of schooling.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3385868]See, this is the difference between you and I; I saw this thread, read it, saw I had nothing to offer in regards to a heartfelt plea for info. from a father about his son, so I moved on.

Is anything sacred?[/QUOTE]

After yesterday, you have a lot of nerve shooting off your mouth. It would be like Gholston talking s***.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Isn't Statz™ an electrician?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3386000]Isn't Statz™ an electrician?[/QUOTE]

He's a serb, you might want to check that license closely. Look for eraser marks in the name section.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3386009]He's a serb, you might want to check that license closely. Look for eraser marks in the name section.[/QUOTE]

lolz

Thanks.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3385872][URL]http://www.delhi.edu/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Would you know of any programs like this in NJ?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3386330]Would you know of any programs like this in NJ?[/QUOTE]
    I know there are a couple of schools similar (my nephew is interested)...one is further away Ferris St. I think it is...

The thing is there is a two year program and an actual 4 year program which would be dedicated to your specific trade. It seems to me a great idea, and would help land a job no sweat. I don't think there is anything closer then Delhi, but I'm not 100%

good luck :cool:

I started a thread here about 2-3 years ago looking for the same advice. Wanted to switch fields and go from IT to Electrician. From the responces I got, I was told to forget it. The waiting list is like 12-18 months for work (journeymen) and the pay for apprentice is real weak, like $13 an hour. Also there is alot of issues with the local unions, 3 + 25. After speaking to some of those guys, I was basically told, 'this aint your fathers union anymore'

Plus my cousin worked his ass off when he was an apprentice. He now has his card and has been laid off 3 times.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3386378]I started a thread here about 2-3 years ago looking for the same advice. Wanted to switch fields and go from IT to Electrician. From the responces I got, I was told to forget it. The waiting list is like 12-18 months for work (journeymen) and the pay for apprentice is real weak, like $13 an hour. Also there is alot of issues with the local unions, 3 + 25. After speaking to some of those guys, I was basically told, 'this aint your fathers union anymore'

Plus my cousin worked his ass off when he was an apprentice. He now has his card and has been laid off 3 times.[/QUOTE]

I worked for an electrician for one summer in college (residential, non union work). It was terrific. If I weren't a CPA, i would be an electrician. I would advise your son to apply to as many residentail electricians as possible (via letter, e mail etc...) that he is looking to start at the bottom and see if he likes it.

I have several electricians as clients( all business owners) and they did VERY well before the recession, high six figures, now it is a bit tough but the skill will always be needed.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3386415]I worked for an electrician for one summer in college (residential, non union work). It was terrific. If I weren't a CPA, i would be an electrician. I would advise your son to apply to as many residentail electricians as possible (via letter, e mail etc...) that he is looking to start at the bottom and see if he likes it.

I have several electricians as clients( all business owners) and they did VERY well before the recession, high six figures, now it is a bit tough but the skill will always be needed.[/QUOTE]

It's a different world up there in Yankee-Union land.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    my father use to do electrical work. he taught himself everything he needed to know. its like with anything,it has it good and bad things with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3386448]It's a different world up there in Yankee-Union land.[/QUOTE]

Understood. i worked for an electrician on Long island. I was 20 years old and it was non union work. A local guy with 3 or 4 helpers.

I do understand your point though.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3386415]I worked for an electrician for one summer in college (residential, non union work). It was terrific. If I weren't a CPA, i would be an electrician. I would advise your son to apply to as many residentail electricians as possible (via letter, e mail etc...) that he is looking to start at the bottom and see if he likes it.

I have several electricians as clients( all business owners) and they did VERY well before the recession, high six figures, now it is a bit tough but the skill will always be needed.[/QUOTE]

Do you think he should get some training before hand?

Hall Of Fame
    Electric work is a blast...I loved it when I did it, but turned to the dark side because plumbers make more money. You always hear about plenty of people who want to become electricians...but how many people do you hear about that [B][I]want[/I][/B] to become plumbers (ewwww. Poop is gross!)...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3386822]Do you think he should get some training before hand?[/QUOTE]

My thought is ...most young kids have NO idea of how hard work can be and if his expactations are not clear, he will quit. For me, while I did NOT have any prior experience, I was hired as a gopher but literally read 3 or 4 books on wiring within a week and very quickly I was wiring kitchens, re working breakers etc... and he offered me a full time job which I declined in order to be an accountant.

If your son has NO experience, the only value he will be is as a gopher at say $12 to $15 an hour and then he MUST start to learn fast and out perform.

He MUST show the employer he is commited etc...

There are LOTS of employees, few that are committed to go the distance, not claim union rights and work to become an owner.

You say he is "talented in this area", so a night program at a local community college while he sends his resume around would in my view be enough to get started.

That's my view..... not worth more than 50 cents but hope it helped a little.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3386845]...re working breakers...[/QUOTE]

You did what now? <concerned>