Thread: The Trenches - Week 2

The Trenches - Week 2

Very happy with the win, especially considering the beatdown we put on them, minus the penalties and 2 Geno miscues (I dont care that he threw one pick, and woodson made a great play).

Anyway, looking at the GB Lines on both offense and defense compared to the Raiders, and its not a stretch to say the Raiders are currently better on both sides of the ball.

Offensive Line: GB lost starting RT Bryan Baluga who was replaced by Derek Sherrod who was very overmatched against seattle. They are also starting a rookie center, who was a bit of a reach as a 5th round pick and is only 300 pounds, and whose scouting report specifically mentioned he struggled with larger NTs. Lastly their starting LT also is more athletic then large, weighing only about 315 and is really just an average player. Overall this group looks to be weaker then the line that we just obliterated on sunday. Rogers will obviously be the tipping point here, but I think they are gonna struggle to run the ball and we should be able to at least collapse the pocket and get rogers moving. I also think Rex will have some interesting blitzes and use a spy sometimes to help keep him from getting outside the pocket where he excels throwing on the run.

As far as the GB defensive line they are also decimated by injury and Capers is playing more of a 4-3, simply because they dont have enough lineman and no NT. Letroy Guion their NT is 315 and they start mike daniels (305) and dontae jones (285) along the line with julius peppers. This is a group that we should be able to literally OBLITERATE in the running game. Aside from Matthews, the GB linebacking crew is weak across the board with AJ Hawk and Brad Jones at ILB, neither of whom are close to being top players.

Yes this game will again come down to turnovers and Geno playing well - but games are won in the trenches and in my opinion we have a SOLID advantage on both lines Sunday. If we can come out with a road victory at GB, it will go a long way for the confidence of this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Bulaga may still play Sunday, he will practice on Wednesday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I thought the Bulaga injury was going to be huge, but it seems like its not that serious and he may be back. We'll see come Wednesday (as they have off til then). But if its Bulaga and a rookie Center, that's a big advantage for the Jets. And losing BJ Raji is even bigger. The Jets should be pounding and pounding and pounding the ball on Sunday.

If they can stay away from the stupid penalties and mistakes, they are right there in this game.

Wow - I thought Bulaga's injury was more serious. Still gotta figure he wont be moving around as well at least.

Also, another good matchup for our defense is that GB has no TE threat and Lacy, while a very good back, isnt one of the quicker, best-in-space guys that normally give us trouble.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I thought the Bulaga injury was going to be huge, but it seems like its not that serious and he may be back. We'll see come Wednesday (as they have off til then). But if its Bulaga and a rookie Center, that's a big advantage for the Jets. And losing BJ Raji is even bigger. The Jets should be pounding and pounding and pounding the ball on Sunday.

If they can stay away from the stupid penalties and mistakes, they are right there in this game.
    I read that a sprain like that is a 3-4 week hiaitus. We'll all be monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Very happy with the win, especially considering the beatdown we put on them, minus the penalties and 2 Geno miscues (I dont care that he threw one pick, and woodson made a great play).

Anyway, looking at the GB Lines on both offense and defense compared to the Raiders, and its not a stretch to say the Raiders are currently better on both sides of the ball.

Offensive Line: GB lost starting RT Bryan Baluga who was replaced by Derek Sherrod who was very overmatched against seattle. They are also starting a rookie center, who was a bit of a reach as a 5th round pick and is only 300 pounds, and whose scouting report specifically mentioned he struggled with larger NTs. Lastly their starting LT also is more athletic then large, weighing only about 315 and is really just an average player. Overall this group looks to be weaker then the line that we just obliterated on sunday. Rogers will obviously be the tipping point here, but I think they are gonna struggle to run the ball and we should be able to at least collapse the pocket and get rogers moving. I also think Rex will have some interesting blitzes and use a spy sometimes to help keep him from getting outside the pocket where he excels throwing on the run.

As far as the GB defensive line they are also decimated by injury and Capers is playing more of a 4-3, simply because they dont have enough lineman and no NT. Letroy Guion their NT is 315 and they start mike daniels (305) and dontae jones (285) along the line with julius peppers. This is a group that we should be able to literally OBLITERATE in the running game. Aside from Matthews, the GB linebacking crew is weak across the board with AJ Hawk and Brad Jones at ILB, neither of whom are close to being top players.

Yes this game will again come down to turnovers and Geno playing well - but games are won in the trenches and in my opinion we have a SOLID advantage on both lines Sunday. If we can come out with a road victory at GB, it will go a long way for the confidence of this team.

Home opener after a loss to defending super bowl champs on Thursday night?? Think Jet's are going to have their hands full up in Green Bay... not going to be able to easily minimize the impact of Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews.. Aaron Rogers is as good as they come.... Jet's play run as good as anyone... but they are not Seattle's defense... not easy winning on road...

Think you make some valid points.. for the Jet's to have a shot in this game.. they need to be able to run the ball.. and apply pressure on QB.

All Pro
    If Sherrod plays at RT I line up Babin in a wide 9 technique against him and tell him go kill AR12. Sherrod looked slow footed last game, a speed rusher can wreak havoc on him and Rodgers...

I absolutely love how we match up vs this team. It's never going to be easy with Rodgers at the helm with extra time to prepare and having them desperate for a win, but you can't ask for a much better Xs and Os matchup. (You know... vs a hall of fame QB at least.)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I absolutely love how we match up vs this team. It's never going to be easy with Rodgers at the helm with extra time to prepare and having them desperate for a win, but you can't ask for a much better Xs and Os matchup. (You know... vs a hall of fame QB at least.)
    I'm glad we're going in there at 1-0. EVERYONE had this Week 2 game chalked up as a Loss for the Jets. I give us 45% chance of winning the game. It's a great early season test outside the conference in a loud environment against an elite QB.....great experience for this team that should serve it well the rest of the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm glad we're going in there at 1-0. EVERYONE had this Week 2 game chalked up as a Loss for the Jets. I give us 45% chance of winning the game. It's a great early season test outside the conference in a loud environment against an elite QB.....great experience for this team that should serve it well the rest of the season.
    It is funny how perception of the hard schedule can change after just one week of games. Green Bay's vulnerabilities line up perfectly with the Jets strengths, the Bears lost at home to Buffalo, the Pats can not stop the run, Denver looked great and will be a tough game, but if the Jets are 4-4 after 8 games they are actually in really good shape for a playoff run.

It would be so huge if they could walk away from GB with a win. The Jets definitely have a lot of advantages that they'll be able to play to against Green Bay, but they can too. No matter what we saw yesterday, the secondary is going to face a completely different monster with Aaron Rodgers and those receivers. We'll see what happens.

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;5322495]It is funny how perception of the hard schedule can change after just one week of games. Green Bay's vulnerabilities line up perfectly with the Jets strengths, the Bears lost at home to Buffalo, the Pats can not stop the run, Denver looked great and will be a tough game, but if the Jets are 4-4 after 8 games they are actually in really good shape for a playoff run.[/QUOTE

Green Bay is 8.5 point favorite.. they lost to the defending super bowl champs on the road... in stadium where the home team dominates...

I think the Jet's have a very tough stretch ahead of them... and they face some elite QBs with talented core offensive weapons..

Going to Green Bay and winning will not be a easy task... Jet's definitely need to clean of the penalties and protect the football better!! If your offensive and defensive lines can dominate the line of scrimmage you can play with anyone... I think their OL is playing with chip on their shoulders.. seems like they want to prove something this year.. good to see..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    It would be so huge if they could walk away from GB with a win. The Jets definitely have a lot of advantages that they'll be able to play to against Green Bay, but they can too. No matter what we saw yesterday, the secondary is going to face a completely different monster with Aaron Rodgers and those receivers. We'll see what happens.
    As I said last week. If we pull of the upset in GB, we're looking at 10+ wins.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    I read that a sprain like that is a 3-4 week hiaitus. We'll all be monitoring.
    This is the report coming out of Green Bay....

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers right tackle Bryan Bulaga sprained the MCL in his left knee during the team's season-opening 36-16 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

It is undetermined how much time Bulaga will miss, but the injury is not considered serious.

Bryan Bulaga's sprained MCL is the fourth injury to his left knee in the past four seasons that will cause him to miss games. Bulaga has helped the Packers' pass game since his rookie season in 2010.

Depending on its severity, Bulaga could return without missing a game. The Packers have more than a week before their next game, Sept. 14 against the New York Jets.

Coach Mike McCarthy on Friday wouldn't rule out the possibility that Bulaga could face the Jets. The players are off this weekend and return Monday with their next practice scheduled for Wednesday.

"Right now we have a little bit of a gap between how Bryan feels and how the medical department feels about him, which is normal," McCarthy said. "I think really Wednesday's practice will probably give us a better indication. I know Bryan would like to try to go on Wednesday, but we have to continue to see how his knee reacts between now and then.

"It's not a major injury. We're relieved by that. So I really don't have a timeline for you."

Bulaga blew out the same knee in training camp last summer, causing him to miss the 2013 season after ACL reconstruction. He was playing in his first game since November 2012, and was wearing a brace on the knee. After being injured, Bulaga was examined on the sideline, then walked to the locker room under his own power. His return originally was announced as questionable, but he was ruled out for the remainder of the game at halftime.

Bulaga and tight end Richard Rodgers collided after running back Eddie Lacy cut back for a 3-yard gain. Former first-round draft pick Derek Sherrod finished the first half in place of Bulaga. The former first-round draft pick struggled mightily, allowing sacks on consecutive series, one of which led to a fumble and a safety.

Despite Sherrod's struggles, McCarthy said he would start against the Jets if Bulaga can't go.

The Packers were thin on the offensive line even before Bulaga's injury. They lost Don Barclay, who likely would have been their top backup at both tackle and guard, to a torn ACL during training camp. Barclay has started 18 games over the past two seasons. Sherrod has never started a game in the NFL and before Thursday night had not played for an extended stretch since breaking his leg on Dec. 18, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This is the report coming out of Green Bay....
    Packers are going to be careful regarding Bulaga. They can't afford to lose him for the season if he reinjures a sprain.
    Rogers is going to be getting rid of the ball quickly, we gotta play tight.

I agree with the OP in that we should be able to manhandle their OL. However they have talented linebackers and can get a lot of pressure with Peppers and Mathews. We need to avoid playing from behind and known passing plays.

I love how we played inside on the OL yesterday. Colon is one nasty SOB. He dominated yesterday. And obviously we have a pro bowler in mangold. Breno is a beast and even Winters got a lot of push in the run game.

We need to run the ball tomorrow. Keep rogers off the field.