Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao v. Mayweather - March 2010

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Hell yeah... I've been waiting for this fight. I thought Floyd would duck him for sure. From what I hear the only thing left to negotiate is venue (Cowboy Staidum v. MGM) and glove weight (8 oz. v. 10 oz.).

Can't wait for Manny to prove he is the pound-for-pound best in 7 different weightclasses !! My money will be on him, literally.

Can't wait to go to Vegas for this one. As soon as they finalize the deal and pick the venue, I'm booking my flight !!
    I believe the catchweight hasn't been agreed upon yet....Floyd will want a big ring, a hard speedy canvas, loose ropes, big gloves and 147lbs.

If they call the weight at 144, allow 8oz. gloves and an 18ft. ring, Manny wins, but don't count on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've been dreaming of this matchup for the past three years.

Pac-Man is just sick. Quick as lightning and accurate as all hell with his punches. This is the guy who can exploit Mayweather's "rope-a-dope" style.

Mayweather's streak comes to an end in March.

Pacquiao by KO in 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Narra View Post
    fine, i'll bite.

i don't know exactly what you mean by "respect that he's been due for years" considering he was the #1 pound-for-pound fighter from the summer of 2005 until he retired. no one would ever deny the talent mayweather has, but if wins would he be as popular as manny is? i'd say no. pacquaio is one of the most polarizing fighters we've seen in years-- he used to sell cigarettes on the streets as a kid so he would be able to eat. and yet, celebrity hasn't seem to went to his head. he takes care of his friends and family, does an incredible amount of philanthropy work for the philippines, and is smiling every second of the day. top that off with his scary knock-out ability. floyd is all about floyd-- i have no issue with that, but he'll never be as loved as manny is.

if floyd wins, it'll cement his legacy as one of the greatest welterweights of all time. no one would be able to deny that. but he'll never be as popular across the globe as pacman is right now. virtually impossible.

this is the most important fight for boxing in well over a decade. the outcome will greatly shape the way we follow it. i'll be pulling for manny, but i don't think he's necessarily the favorite. all i want to see is a good fight, and something that peaks my interest again for the next
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Without a doubt this is the first time he his fighting a great fighter in his prime with no strings attached. It would have been more fair if Floyd agreed to meet at 140, since Pacman is a blown up Bantamweight, so Floyd has a bigger advantage at 147, but that aside its still a very dangerous fight verses a great fighter in his prime.

I knew Floyd would take this one because the money will be insane, the kind of money no-one can reject, in essence an offer you can't refuse, so I'm not surprised he took this fight .. now I look forward to seeing him get decked
    Two quality posts - Hammer again showing his deep knowledge of the sweet science. Kudos.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    I believe the catchweight hasn't been agreed upon yet....Floyd will want a big ring, a hard speedy canvas, loose ropes, big gloves and 147lbs.

If they call the weight at 144, allow 8oz. gloves and an 18ft. ring, Manny wins, but don't count on it.
    Thanks for the info. I though they agreed on 147.

I thought this fight was set tentative for May 2010.... Why are tehy rushing such a big ticket fight... 3 mos. away???

is this 100% confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Hustle View Post
    I thought this fight was set tentative for May 2010.... Why are tehy rushing such a big ticket fight... 3 mos. away???

is this 100% confirmed?
    Looks like it:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...r_espn_4715684

The fight will be on March 13. Pac-man is running for Congress in the Philippines, and the elections are in May. So it's got to be March.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Looks like it:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...r_espn_4715684

The fight will be on March 13. Pac-man is running for Congress in the Philippines, and the elections are in May. So it's got to be March.
    This sucks, my wedding is on March 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Congrats on the wedding. Lets them fight. You get the Lovin LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Priorities, man, priorities.

Move the wedding.

Veteran
    I hope they pick the cowboys stadium as the venue. I wonder how many people would go to the fight? If they made the upper level tickets cheap enough, it could possibly get 100,000 people.

Time to cancel the wedding, then. Duh.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Narra View Post
    years ago, though. no one was saying that after the de la hoya, hatton, or marquez fights. manny just recently proved that he might be the only person alive that's half as talented as floyd is.
    Wat? Those were the three fights that people questioned him about.....

Hall Of Fame
    it may be a moot point by why would Manny agree to fight both oscar and Floyd at 147 but force Cotto to cut down to 145?

not saying that the 2lbs hurt Cotto significantly but it certainly wasn't fair considering that he went back to 147 again for Floyd, just shows how truly afraid they were of Cotto's power and not so much afraid of Floyd's

Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    because he's a money hungry, self centered, bragadocious punk. It's like Kerry Rhodes with boxing gloves.
    That is absurdly rude to Kerry Rhodes, who is probably money hungry and self centered, but nowhere near the level of Floyd. The big difference is Rhodes always wants to go out there and face the best opponents. Floyd wants to go out there and face a bunch of average boxers who he have no shot because he ducks the best. He ducked Cotto for years, he ducked Margarito for years, and he ducked Shane Mosley for years. Now, for the first time in about 7 years, he will fight a worthy opponent. And he will get his ass kicked, and I will absolutely love it.

Lets go Manny!

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    it may be a moot point by why would Manny agree to fight both oscar and Floyd at 147 but force Cotto to cut down to 145?

not saying that the 2lbs hurt Cotto significantly but it certainly wasn't fair considering that he went back to 147 again for Floyd, just shows how truly afraid they were of Cotto's power and not so much afraid of Floyd's
    Yup, could be. To be honest, I thought Cotto's power would be too much for Manny, as Cotto is just a much bigger guy, but of course I was way wrong on that one. To me what Pacquiao did to Cotto was one of the more impressive displays of boxing in recent history.

All League
    Cotto still had a HUGE advantage, he was still fighting a blown up flyweight

Cotto had to drop two or three pounds below the welterweight limit, though he probably entered the right at 155+, but Pacman started his professional career at light-flyweight (106 Pounds) then settled in at Bantamweight (113 Pounds), so none of these Welterweights can complain about 144 or 145 when they are fighting a blown up flyweight/bantamweight

Oscar, Cotto, Floyd .. they all have a distinct "BIG MAN Vs LITTLE MAN" advantage verses Pacman

That's what makes Pacman so incredible, he's like another Henry Armstrong

Just like Armstrong, he consistantly turns conventional wisdom (Good big man beats Good little man) on its head .. flips the script and dismantles the Good big men too, because he is an "All-Time Great"
    Great post. That's also why I love watching him fight and always root for him. His natural weight is 106, but he holds the belt in 7 different weight classes. Simply amazing.

Do you think we should have him come in and talk to the Jets?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Yup, could be. To be honest, I thought Cotto's power would be too much for Manny, as Cotto is just a much bigger guy, but of course I was way wrong on that one. To me what Pacquiao did to Cotto was one of the more impressive displays of boxing in recent history.
    as did I, however Manny was by his own admission never beaten as badly as Cotto beat him but you couldnt much tell that night, Manny did have a busted eardrum and a pretty banged up body and face, but he took it all and walked through it, unbelievable IMO, that grit will help him in this next fight as well because Floyd cant hit nearly as hard as Cotto so power wont be the key to this fight, at least not on PBF's side

Hall Of Fame
    Cotto still had a HUGE advantage, he was still fighting a blown up flyweight

Cotto had to drop two or three pounds below the welterweight limit, though he probably entered the right at 155+, but Pacman started his professional career at flyweight (106 Pounds) then settled in at Bantamweight (113 Pounds), so none of these Welterweights can complain about 144 or 145 when they are fighting a blown up flyweight/bantamweight

Oscar, Cotto, Floyd .. they all have a distinct "BIG MAN Vs LITTLE MAN" advantage verses Pacman

That's what makes Pacman so incredible, he's like another Henry Armstrong

Just like Armstrong, he consistantly turns conventional wisdom (Good big man beats Good little man) on its head .. flips the script and dismantles the Good big men too, because he is an "All-Time Great"
    nahbro, 2-3 lbs makes a world of difference at 147 when cutting to 147 takes alot our of you, Roach knew this and wanted Cotto to cut even further because he knew it would hurt Cotto, if not they would have never made the catch weight. I'm not crying about it but I'm just pointing out a key fact that he should have fought at 147, it may not have made a difference but you should fight at the regulation weight for a title shot, thats all

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Great post. That's also why I love watching him fight and always root for him. His natural weight is 106, but he holds the belt in 7 different weight classes. Simply amazing.

Do you think we should have him come in and talk to the Jets?
    his natural weight is 106 or he fought at 106 when he was 18 years old. Lets not make Pacman out to be a guy that walks around at 106 and bulked up to fight at this weight, please. Floyd started at 106 in the golden gloves too so does that make him a natural 106 lber too?

so basically these are both 106 lbs blown up to 147 lbs. That just doesnt make sense man. Men grow up and their bodies develop and they go up in weight. Taking nothing away from Manny what he has done is amazing but not much more amazing than what Floyd has accomplished except taht floyd moved up more gradually than Pac has.