Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Restaurants

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

New Jersey Restaurants

I am a huge fan of good local places to eat (not chains). So, I thought I would start a thread where everyone can post a few of their local favorites and what makes the place special.

I will start a breakfast place in Marlboro called "MOMS". Great food, large portions, small price. They also serve lunch and dinner. Was there for dinner last week with the family. We will return.

In case anyone is interested, started a [URL="http://newjerseyrestaurants.blogspot.com/"]NJ Restaurant blog [/URL]where some local places are discussed. I have worked in foodservice quite a bit in the past. Now, I happen to travel a lot on business and visit those local hot spots. Been following the Diners Drive Ins and Dives show and have stopped in about 25 locations from that show.
    Last edited by EricJ; 12-06-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add one more point

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice blog. The last time I ate at the Red Oak Diner it was called the Adelphi Diner.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paulie...

yes the Red Oak changed names when the ownership changed. HUGE difference. All fresh food. They even have their seafood brought in daily from the fish market in Philly.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EricJ;3388918]Thanks Paulie...

yes the Red Oak changed names when the ownership changed. HUGE difference. All fresh food. They even have their seafood brought in daily from the fish market in Philly.[/QUOTE]

hmm, I'll have to check it out

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes, Callahan's was awesome. I grew up eating at that place. It was sad to see that place close down.

I frequent a lot of the diners on or around Rt. 3 and Rt. 46. Tick Tock, Six Brothers, Park West, Lyndhurst. All taste great late at night when you got some booze in you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rutts Hut and Hot Grill in Clifton, NJ
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-06-2009 at 07:04 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Fontana in New Brunswick....Great old world Italian cusine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arthur's Steakhouse in Hoboken, Bendix Diner in Hasbrouck Heights, White Mana in Hackensack and Grease Trucks in New Brunswick.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I ate at Arthurs I was not impressed. I will have to give it another shot. I planned to do a write up on White Manna...like that place. Will also be doing something on Rutts Hut.

I have been to Bendix but it has been a LONG TIME.

Check the blog again, I just posted something about some north Jersey restaurants that were involved with loan sharks and a credit card scam.
    Last edited by EricJ; 12-06-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add one more point

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up traveling up and down Jersey to play hockey games on the weekend, and whenever we passed by, my dad and I would stop at The Fireplace.

Wish we had a place like that in Rockland.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahhh yes the Fireplace. If you are referring to the one on Rt 17 in Paramus, then I have been there a few times.

Decent charbroiled burgers. They also have fried chicken, pizza, etc etc Never ate their chicken or pizza. That place is a gold mine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3389064]Ah yes, Callahan's was awesome. I grew up eating at that place. It was sad to see that place close down.

I frequent a lot of the diners on or around Rt. 3 and Rt. 46. Tick Tock, Six Brothers, Park West, Lyndhurst. All taste great late at night when you got some booze in you.[/QUOTE]

Callahans was awesome. It was sad to see it go. Most Jersey diners are solid the only one I never really liked was that overpriced POS diner that's by the Tribecca nightclub in Fort Lee. The food sucks, waiters give you attitude and it's too expensive but because it's right by the GW Bridge and in downtown Ft Lee it does business.

Coach House on rte 4 is good. Buddy of mine is a waiter there. It's gotten alot better now that they got rid of the old douchebag owner with his dumb, stuckup hoebag daughter.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 12-06-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man v. Food is doing an episode about NJ on the Travel Channel this week. The guy is going to do the grease truck challenge where you have to eat 5 fat sandwiches. Heart attack special.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3389613]Man v. Food is doing an episode about NJ on the Travel Channel this week. The guy is going to do the grease truck challenge where you have to eat 5 fat sandwiches. Heart attack special.[/QUOTE]

My buddy that goes to RU was there for that. He can put down 3 in one sitting himself. Mangino can probably post up a 10 spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3389609]Callahans was awesome. It was sad to see it go. Most Jersey diners are solid the only one I never really liked was that overpriced POS diner that's by the Tribecca nightclub in Fort Lee. The food sucks, waiters give you attitude and it's too expensive but because it's right by the GW Bridge and in downtown Ft Lee it does business.

Coach House on rte 4 is good. Buddy of mine is a waiter there. It's gotten alot better now that they got rid of the old douchebag owner with his dumb, stuckup hoebag daughter.[/QUOTE]

Never been to the one you mentioned in Fort Lee, but I went to the Coach House once a few years back and I remember it being pretty good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3389622]My buddy that goes to RU was there for that. He can put down 3 in one sitting himself. Mangino can probably post up a 10 spot.[/QUOTE]

That's insane. I've never been able to throw down more than 1 and a half in a sitting. Plus I practically **** the thing out whole in the morning.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3389622]My buddy that goes to RU was there for that. He can put down 3 in one sitting himself. Mangino can probably post up a 10 spot.[/QUOTE]

I'm a skinny vinny but I can definitely eat with the best of them. Never tried the fat cat challenge but if did I think I could give it a good run.

Would need to drink a 5th of vodka first though. I'd name my sandwich the Fat Kotite.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3389628]Never been to the one you mentioned in Fort Lee, but I went to the Coach House once a few years back and I remember it being pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Coach House has always been good. Just didn't like the old owner and his b*tch daughter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I recommend the Tick Tock Diner late at night simply to see the one hostess. Girl is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be talking about the Tick Tock at some point in my blog. Good place to eat.