Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex to make major overhaul in 2010 (insider)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex to make major overhaul in 2010 (insider)

The following is a distinct possibility. I heard this on saturday night from long-term employee in the Islanders organization who has close ties with the Jets. He gets his info from a contact in the Jets front office supposedly (wouldnt say who it was) It might all be BS, but, the guy was talking like it was extremely probable.

Rhodes (traded or cut)
    Edwards (unsigned)
    Washington (unsigned)
    Sheppherd (unsigned)
    T. Jones (cut or contract restructured)
    Pouha (unsigned)
    B. Thomas (cut)
    Fanica (cut)
    Gholston (cut)

The operative words for 2010 are: "Consistency", "Team", and "Toughness"

Obviously ALOT of payroll will be freed up if any of this is true.

Look for the Jets to make a major move up in the draft - possibly for a cant miss all-world DT (Rex cant stomach Jenkins not giving the team 16 games each year) Another possible move is a veteran QB to come in like Vinny came here in '98. Personally I would like to see Erik Ainge get a shot - but only AFTER the team is sure about Sanchez' future.

Woody does not want to go to the new stadium and finish 7-9 again. Playoffs in 2010 no matter what it takes.

Opinions?

PS - Forgot to mention, Woody loves the Jets uni and wont change it for the forseeable future. The "NY" on the helmet is pretty much dead.
    Last edited by Schroy48; 12-06-2009 at 03:06 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be pretty happy for the most part if this was true.

I really really really hope we resign Braylon though. He has dropped a few balls, but he's also a huge playmaker and has brought a different dynamic to our offense. Letting him go would be a mistake.

Rhodes, Thomas, Sheppard, and Faneca can all go IMO.

Not sure how I feel about moving up though. Trading up to get Suh would be amazing, but I also don't want to give up our 2nd round pick. We have depth needs at a bunch of positions and it could really hurt us. With that said, Suh would be unbelievable in this defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess someone forgot to tell me that the season was over already. Had no idea.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes me a little nervous, especially the part about going into the new stadium with the playoffs a must. That's not what it should be about, it should be about long term success. I hope we don't risk the future of this team for a one year run with expansive veterans...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post
    The following is a distinct possibility. I heard this on saturday night from long-term employee in the Islanders organization who has close ties with the Jets. He gets his info from a contact in the Jets front office supposedly (wouldnt say who it was) It might all be BS, but, the guy was talking like it was extremely probable.

Rhodes (traded or cut)
    Edwards (unsigned)
    Washington (unsigned)
    Sheppherd (unsigned)
    Pouha (unsigned)
    B. Thomas (cut)
    Fanica (cut)
    Gholston (cut)

Look for the Jets to make a major move up in the draft - possibly for a cant miss all-world DT (Rex cant stomach Jenkins not giving the team 16 games each year) Another possible move is a veteran QB to come in like Vinny came here in '98. Personally I would like to see Erik Ainge get a shot - but only AFTER the team is sure about Sanchez' future.

Woody does not want to go to the new stadium and finish 7-9 again. Playoffs in 2010 no matter what it takes.

Opinions?

PS - Forgot to mention, Woody loves the Jets uni and wont change it for the forseeable future. The "NY" on the helmet is pretty much dead.
    Ya know, as much as I like some of these guys, I think a roster shake up is needed. Get rid of the players from the old Mangina regime and get players in here that Rex wants. Inject some life. I do want us to retain TJ though, he still has tread on the tires. I also would like Edwards and Leon to stay as I like what they bring to the team. The thing about Leon is that if he's still wanting the money he did last year, get rid of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhodes (traded or cut)
    Edwards (unsigned)
    Washington (unsigned)
    Sheppherd (unsigned)
    Pouha (unsigned)
    B. Thomas (cut)
    Fanica (cut)
    Gholston (cut)

Opinions?

I'm not discounting what you're saying, but some of it makesno sense. So, we're going to cut TJ and LW loose? No way. Rex is worried about being screwed by another Jenks injury, but we're not gonna re-sign Bouha, who has played really well this year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha is under contract until 2011. If the Jets did all those other things and the year was capped they would not even be able to field a competitive football team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of this just doesn't make sense at all.

Like the other poster said...cut TJ and Leon? And be left with a 2nd year RB?

And I don't see why they wouldn't sign Edwards. Rex I think loves him and clearly sees what he has done for our running game.

All of that would just open up a ton more holes then we already have or need. AND the Jets don't have a boat load of picks to fix em anyway. So...yea.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Rhodes (traded or cut)
    Edwards (unsigned)
    Washington (unsigned)
    Sheppherd (unsigned)
    Pouha (unsigned)
    B. Thomas (cut)
    Fanica (cut)
    Gholston (cut)

Opinions?

This is worthy of Tex getting the Fish to bite...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he means that these are options they would all look at. No way they let all these guys go.

Move Rhodes and draft a Safety.
    Let Bryan Thomas go and make a big splash in FA with a guy like Dumervil.
    Cut Faneca and sign a younger LG.
    Sign a solid backup NT.

I hope they keep Ellis though. He's still solid and deserves to come back. Douglas should go and DeVito should start at DE.

Trading up for Berry wouldn't be a bad idea if he falls out of the Top 5.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You forgot to put one on that list.
    Brian Schittenheimer: Fired

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhodes (traded or cut)
    Edwards (unsigned)
    Washington (unsigned)
    Sheppherd (unsigned)
    Pouha (unsigned)
    B. Thomas (cut)
    Fanica (cut)
    Gholston (cut)

Can't say I disagree with any of these, although I might try to keep Sheppard (we have no other competent CB other than Revis).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What passes for "long term" in the Islanders' organization (there's an oxymoron) anyway? Not getting fired before the season ends?

No one with any sense would gut a team like that. A few guys will be cut loose for sure, but guys like Sheppard and Edwards were brought in with Ryan's say so. Faneca can still run block, but his pass protection is almost non-existent at this point.

If Woody wants to assure a full stadium then how about not raping the season ticket holders with PSLs?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    who in their right mind would not want to keep edwards? pouha? washington (if healthy)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like something the moron Icelanders might do with their worst organization in hockey

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    majority of those are stupid if true

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must be the same guy who suggested giving DiPietro that 15-year guaranteed contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    who in their right mind would not want to keep edwards? pouha? washington (if healthy)
    Bongo has not approved of this thread..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of those would just be awful moves. Don't keep Pouha? Edwards? Leon?

Not buying it.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 12-06-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Selling that.

Just stupid moves.