Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Levon Helm Band

All League

The Levon Helm Band

Had the most amazing experience last night...

If any of you are fans of The Band (The Weight, Up on Cripple Creek, etc.) or Levon Helm, you need to do what I did last night. Apparently every Saturday when The Levon Helm Band is not touring, Levon and his band put on a concert in his studio/barn on his property up in Woodstock, NY. The place fits about 100 people, so it's very intimate as you would expect. It's $100 per person, and people bring food and drinks for everyone. There's also a little discount if you buy 5 tickets. It's totally worth it.

The band played for about 2 hours, and Duke Robaillard (I think he played with Dylan) and Little Sammy Davis opened.

Just a fantastic night. I really can't even explain what it was like....we were basically just sitting in on the private jam session of some really extraordinary musicians.

I don't have the set list, but here are some of the notable songs out of the 19 played:

The Shape I'm In
    It Makes No Difference
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    Attics of My Life
    Tennessee Jed
    Long Black Veil
    Tangled Up in Blue

If you are a fan, GO!

All League
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;3389356]Had the most amazing experience last night...

If any of you are fans of The Band (The Weight, Up on Cripple Creek, etc.) or Levon Helm, you need to do what I did last night. Apparently every Saturday when The Levon Helm Band is not touring, Levon and his band put on a concert in his studio/barn on his property up in Woodstock, NY. The place fits about 100 people, so it's very intimate as you would expect. It's $100 per person, and people bring food and drinks for everyone. There's also a little discount if you buy 5 tickets. It's totally worth it.

The band played for about 2 hours, and Duke Robaillard (I think he played with Dylan) and Little Sammy Davis opened.

Just a fantastic night. I really can't even explain what it was like....we were basically just sitting in on the private jam session of some really extraordinary musicians.

I don't have the set list, but here are some of the notable songs out of the 19 played:

The Shape I'm In
    It Makes No Difference
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    Attics of My Life
    Tennessee Jed
    Long Black Veil
    Tangled Up in Blue

If you are a fan, GO![/QUOTE]

Sounds like a great time, always loved the Band, and Woodstock is a fun town. Am I mistaken or wasnt Levon pretty sick at one point??

All League
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;3389574]Sounds like a great time, always loved the Band, and Woodstock is a fun town. Am I mistaken or wasnt Levon pretty sick at one point??[/QUOTE]

He was. He didn't sing for a long time, but his voice suddenly came back a few years ago. He had to have another surgery so he isn't singing at the moment, but he should be soon.

All League
    Wow, I can see a lot of people are fans of The Band....

All League
    I have not heard of the band actually, but some of the songs looks familiar. It does sound like a good time. Woodstock is way to far from here though.

Saw Levon open up for Phil Lesh last summer at Jones Beach. Kids suck today.

Was Arlen Roth in the band, or did he sit in by any chance?

They did a few NY area shows with the Black Crowes over the summer and he didn't sing then either. But they did say he would sing again. Definitely gonna check out his show in Woodstock sometime.

Hundred bucks to sit in a barn with dirty old hippies? And YOU bring your own snacks?

All League
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3390552]Was Arlen Roth in the band, or did he sit in by any chance?[/QUOTE]

No, he wasn't there.

All League
    [QUOTE=FF2;3390638]Hundred bucks to sit in a barn with dirty old hippies? And YOU bring your own snacks?[/QUOTE]

You don't have to bring snacks. A lot of people choose to bring stuff....it's sort of a potluck thing, I guess. And if you are a fan, a hundred bucks is nothing for that kind of experience....

[QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;3390681]No, he wasn't there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. They won't embed, but double click to watch on YouTube.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsWoWkVwLjU[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WiqMaEjDzg[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Been to a Ramble, what an amazing time. The concept was first talked about by Levon in the movie The Last Waltz.

If you haven't seen that yet, it is a [I][B]must[/B][/I] for music fans. Directed by Martin Scorcese and is probably the best concert film ever made. Look at the guests they had at that farewell concert. Sick.

The Crowes recorded their recent double album in the barn before live audiences over a two week period. Phenomenal. Levon didn't play then, but he opened for them in Central Park this summer. He still wasn't singing, but he features his daughter Amy on vocals often.

All League
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3390719]Been to a Ramble, what an amazing time. The concept was first talked about by Levon in the movie [B]The Last Waltz.

If you haven't seen that yet, it is a [I][B]must[/B][/I] for music fans. Directed by Martin Scorcese and is probably the best concert film ever made. Look at the guests they had at that farewell concert. Sick.[/B]

The Crowes recorded their recent double album in the barn before live audiences over a two week period. Phenomenal. Levon didn't play then, but he opened for them in Central Park this summer. He still wasn't singing, but he features his daughter Amy on vocals often.[/QUOTE]

+1, watched it with my dad on tv or VHS, he was a huge Muddy Waters fan at the time, plus he is an old hippie, so he is down.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I have always wanted to go to a Midnight Ramble. Hopefulle I can get it done this spring. Saw Levon at the Beacon last March. What an outstanding show. Its a shame Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson don't join him.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=petejet;3392076]I have always wanted to go to a Midnight Ramble. Hopefulle I can get it done this spring. Saw Levon at the Beacon last March. What an outstanding show. [B]Its a shame Robbie Robertso[/B]n and Garth Hudson don't join him.[/QUOTE]

That will never happen

All League
    [QUOTE=petejet;3392076]I have always wanted to go to a Midnight Ramble. Hopefulle I can get it done this spring. Saw Levon at the Beacon last March. What an outstanding show. Its a shame Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson don't join him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Robbie Robertson will never happen...but Garth Hudson has come to some of the Midnight Rambles.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3390719]The Crowes recorded their recent double album in the barn before live audiences over a two week period. Phenomenal. Levon didn't play then, but he opened for them in Central Park this summer. He still wasn't singing, but he features his daughter Amy on vocals often.[/QUOTE]

Was gonna post this until I saw your post. This is easily one of my favorite albums of the year. It really deserves to be noticed.

For those asking about Arlen Roth, is this the same Arlen Roth from Hot Licks fame? If so, I met him and hung out with him a few times back when I was a kid. My Dad met him selling cars in Stamford, CT and said that I was learning guitar. He invited us to his house and above his vintage car garage was a loft that housed the most guitars I have ever seen at once. It was like a Sam Ash in someone's house, unreal. He was a super nice guy and was very encouraging. I will never forget that experience.

[QUOTE=RageATL;3392971]Was gonna post this until I saw your post. This is easily one of my favorite albums of the year. It really deserves to be noticed.

[B]For those asking about Arlen Roth[/B], is this the same Arlen Roth from Hot Licks fame? If so, I met him and hung out with him a few times back when I was a kid. My Dad met him selling cars in Stamford, CT and said that I was learning guitar. He invited us to his house and above his vintage car garage was a loft that housed the most guitars I have ever seen at once. It was like a Sam Ash in someone's house, unreal. He was a super nice guy and was very encouraging. I will never forget that experience.[/QUOTE]

That was me. Yeah, Arlen is the brilliant guitarist who created Hot Licks. I had a few lessons with him two years ago in that loft, which you describe perfectly. He is the master of tone. The vid below won't embed, but you aspiring guitarists should double click to watch on YouTube.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHq8Xy3ByTU[/url]

Levon Helm's laslt two LPs have been crackers (as in very good) - did he play Dirt Farmer or Single Girl, Married Girl?