Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Good Advice

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Good Advice

from my fellow posters here at JI...

my daughter's best friend asked her if she could go on a disney cruise with her next year. she will be going with her best friend and her parents. i am not sure if i should let her go. what would you guys with a kid do?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3392772]from my fellow posters here at JI...

my daughter's best friend asked her if she could go on a disney cruise with her next year. she will be going with her best friend and her parents. i am not sure if i should let her go. what would you guys with a kid do?[/QUOTE]

How old and how well do you know these folks?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let her go. She'll be properly supervised and will hate you if you say no. But what do I know? My daughter is a 7 month old unborn fetus.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3392791]Let her go. She'll be properly supervised and will hate you if you say no. But what do I know? My daughter is a 7 month old unborn fetus.[/QUOTE]

You may change this opinion once you meet some brain dead parents out there. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3392786]How old and how well do you know these folks?[/QUOTE]
    my daughter will 11 at the time of the trip. we know them very well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

my daughter's best friend asked her if she could go on a disney cruise with her next year. she will be going with her best friend and her parents. i am not sure if i should let her go. what would you guys with a kid do?[/QUOTE]

Have you met the parents?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3392807]Have you met the parents?[/QUOTE]
    yeah. i know the parents well. in fact last year went all went to Cedar Point together.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3392812]yeah. i know the parents well. in fact last year went all went to Cedar Point together.[/QUOTE]

If the parents are cool and you trust them...hell with it, let her go. It'll give you and the hubby some alone time... :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3392818]If the parents are cool and you trust them...hell with it, let her go. [B]It'll give you and the hubby some alone time... [/B]:)[/QUOTE]
    no it wont. my son will still be around ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You've got to be comfortable with the parents- if you are definitely let her go...

We've gone on Disney Cruises the past three years- they are expensive but fanatastic- your daughter will not be bored and will be secure...

which cruise is it (4 day?? 7 day??)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 daughters and this has already come up. In our case it was a trip to FL with her boyfriend and his parents when she was 17. We let her go, but not before having a long talk with the boyfriend's parents.

It depends on your comfort level with the other girl's parents. If you don't know them, you need to invite them for dinner, or at least coffee and discuss the issue with them. Then make your decision.

EDIT: One more point...

You can't always be there to protect your children. At some point, you have to trust yourself and the way you raised them to feel comfprtable that they will do the right thing. That point is different for every child and only you will know when the time has come.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: I missed your reply that your daughter is 11 years old. Please disregard my previous edit. Obviously, 11 is too young to not protect your child.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 12-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3392804]my daughter will 11 at the time of the trip. we know them very well.[/QUOTE]

I'm not real big on my kids spending a week like that away. Thats a long time for an 11 year old. A weekend would be different.

With that said for me its ALL about the other parents. I have to feel 100% positive about them. I only know one couple I trust like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally wouldn't go for it...but I generally hate everyone. I don't even trust my kids grandparents.

But then again...my elevator doesn't go quite all the way to the top floor, if you know what I mean...:P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    don't like it...too young

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3392862]don't like it...[B]too young[/B][/QUOTE]

+1 My son is 11, and I wouldn't let him go with parents of friends. I'd want him to be at least 13.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so much worried about safety, etc. It sounds like you trust these parents as they are pretty close friends. Not much different than spending time with aunt or grandmother.

But, what about wanting to spend quality time with your daughter? I'm assuming this is during a school vacation, right? Did you have any expectation of doing anything with the family that you will now be missing out on?

A long weekend is one thing, a full week is quite another.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the answer to your dilema, but I know I wouldn't come here for good advice! :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3392893]+1 My son is 11, and I wouldn't let him go with parents of friends. I'd want him to be at least 13.[/QUOTE]

I thought the opposite actually...I think the parents would be more inclined to stay on top of what two 11 year olds are up to rather than two 13 year olds...

At 11, having a friend to share the cruise experience is waaaaaaay more fun for the kids, and keeps the "I'm bored" whining to a minimum.

That being said, it is all predicated on how much you trust the other parents.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you trust them implicitly, then it's ok. But you'll probably need to do some kind of forms legality wise just in case you can't be reached during an emergency, etc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My son is ten. I'd have no problem letting him go on a Disney cruise with a friend and parents if I knew the parents well.

Maybe it's different with a girl, don't know.

We were on a Disney cruise earlier this year, so he's familiar with the drill. That probably makes a difference too.