Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Only Good Tom Clancy Movie...

The Only Good Tom Clancy Movie...

...was Hunt for Red October.

Confirm/deny?

And if they ever made "Red Storm Rising" it would be epic.

Confirm/deny?

Banned
    Not a big fan of Hunt for Red October. Clear and Present Danger was the best Tom Clancy movie. Crimson Tide and Das Boot are both better submarine movies.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3395376]...was Hunt for Red October.

Confirm/deny?

Confirm/deny?[/QUOTE]

Deny.

While Hunt is GREAT, I liked Clear and Present Danger a LOT. Not as good as the book--just too much there, but that is a GREAT movie. A slight notch behind Hunt, and only because of the great casting of Connery.

Patriot Games? Meh.

Sum of All Fears? Vomitous.

Now what I would REALLY like to see is a 3 part, 6 hour series (no commercials, HBO or Showtime) on Without Remorse.

NOT cheapened into a 2-1/2 hour movie.

SIX full hours.

How John Clark BECAME John Clark.

:yes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3395397]Deny.

While Hunt is GREAT, I liked Clear and Present Danger a LOT. Not as good as the book--just too much there, but that is a GREAT movie. A slight notch behind Hunt, and only because of the great casting of Connery.

Patriot Games? Meh.

Sum of All Fears? Vomitous.

Now what I would REALLY like to see is a 3 part, 6 hour series (no commercials, HBO or Showtime) on Without Remorse.

NOT cheapened into a 2-1/2 hour movie.

SIX full hours.

How John Clark BECAME John Clark.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

Patriot Games was too long and uneven. Sum of All Fears was horrific - Ben Affleck has the poopy touch when it comes to movies.

Without Remorse would make a great movie or mini-series.

Hunt for Red October- excellent

Confirm/deny?

Confirm/deny?[/QUOTE]

Hunt for Red, was an excellent flick. Red Storm Rising would be somewhat dated now; but fans of Cold War stuff like me would like it.

My favorite read of Clancy's is Cardinal of the Kremlin. Terrific. Again, probably dated now and the politically correct crowd who thinks the Rooskies were misunderstood and we were the bad guys would not go for it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3395402]Patriot Games was too long and uneven. Sum of All Fears was horrific - Ben Affleck has the poopy touch when it comes to movies.

[B]Without Remorse would make a great movie or mini-series[/B].[/QUOTE]

It's basically 2 stories in 1--it's GOT to be at least 5 hours. Been hearing rumors about if for years now--IMDB says 2011. Last I heard, Liev Schreiber would reprise his role as Clark.

Confirm.

It is tough to make a good movie from a great book, although Blind Side is one of the best adaptations I can remember.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;3395426]Confirm.

It is tough to make a good movie from a great book, although Blind Side is one of the best adaptations I can remember.[/QUOTE]

Best adaptations of novels to film IMHO:

Jaws. (sans middle chapter)

Silence of the Lambs.

No Country For Old Men.

All 3 great movies and I have not read those books.

[QUOTE=JStokes;3395432]Best adaptations of novels to film IMHO:

Jaws. (sans middle chapter)

Silence of the Lambs.

No Country For Old Men.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Don't forget about The Godfather.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;3395437]All 3 great movies and I have not read those books.[/QUOTE]

Jaws was in 3 parts. First--on land, the killings, the start for the hunt. The middle chapter--thankfully left out of the movie--involved an affair between Hooper and Chief Brody's wife. Last chapter, out on the boat. Classic book, read it next summer! :D

I read Silence before seeing the movie, and the movie was so great, I often wonder how much better I would have enjoyed it had I not read it first.

No Country--one of the best novels AND movies I've read/seen in last 5 years. A perfect adaptation.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3395445]Don't forget about The Godfather.[/QUOTE]

Wow, great call. How could you forget THAT one.

Hunt for Red October=Deny. Just didn't dig it-not epically anyway.

Agreed on Red Storm rising...Confirm.

+1000 on Without Remorse...and the pressure chamber bit!

Cardinal I'd pay to see.

Would like to see Debt of Honor too, but that ending might be a little rough nowadays for alot of folks.

Just to even it out, I didn't care too much for Executive Orders.

The Hunt for Red October was on OK movie. Nothing great. What made the book great though was all the technical jargon and the chase which were not properly translated to the movie.

Red Storm Rising would have made a great HBO miniseries, but doing it now after the demise of the Soviet Union is just pointless. Having a scenario with a no longer existent foe would ruin the whole "what if?" theme.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=frostlich;3395493]Hunt for Red October=Deny. Just didn't dig it-not epically anyway.

Agreed on Red Storm rising...Confirm.

[B]+1000 on Without Remorse...and the pressure chamber bit![/B]

Cardinal I'd pay to see.

Would like to see Debt of Honor too, but that ending might be a little rough nowadays for alot of folks.

Just to even it out, I didn't care too much for Executive Orders.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow--best torture scene EVER. When he dumps him on the dock and says "stay...stay". Cracked me up. :D

Yeah, you can't film the end of Debt of Honor and put it in a movie. Never happen.

Clancy's books are so complex in plot development and sometimes so esoteric in military lingo and technology, that most general audiences would find it difficult to follow along if adopted exactly as written for a movie.

Ditto on Red Storm Rising, that book inspired me at 9 years old to become a strategic military and political analyst. That would be an epic War and Remembrance style of production. i'd love to see a film version of the Atlantic convoy battles, the invasion of Iceland, the raid on the Nimitz- Foch carrier battle group and the massive Soviet tank Armies rolling across West Germany.

Probably the most film adaptable work was Patriot Games, but even Hollywood missed the boat on that one.

The final nail in the coffin for Clancy books on film was "Sum of All Fears". Distorting the plot and even changing the themes to make it PC with cartoonish neo-Nazis looking to restore the Third Reich was an insult. I know Clancy did not like the result.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=VivaSanchez;3395510]The Hunt for Red October was on OK movie. Nothing great. [B]What made the book great though was all the technical j[/B]argon and the chase which were not properly translated to the movie.

Red Storm Rising would have made a great HBO miniseries, but doing it now after the demise of the Soviet Union is just pointless. Having a scenario with a no longer existent foe would ruin the whole "what if?" theme.[/QUOTE]

+1000.

Actually, I think some of his best writing is the technical jargon.

It took him about 4-5 pages to explain what happens in less than a nano-second during a nuclear detonation in Sum of All Fears--fascinating stuff really.

And the scene from Clear and Present Danger, when Clark is calling in the air-strike on the Drug-dealers home with the laser guided smart-bomb--how they paint the target and the bomber's computer takes over and drops the bomb into the perfect cylinder to hit the target--and the wings setting themselves on the bomb itself to hit within an 18-inch window?

I've read that passage a dozen times--just brilliant writing how clearly he explains such a complex ordanance.

All League

Confirm/deny?

Confirm/deny?[/QUOTE]

The whole Iceland substory of RSR would be a great movie in itself....the book? Epic.

All League
    Hunt for Red October was a very good movie. Close to the book, but not exact. Excellent book.

Red Storm Rising - Great book. One of my favorites.

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3395530]+1000.

[B]Actually, I think some of his best writing is the technical jargon[/B].

It took him about 4-5 pages to explain what happens in less than a nano-second during a nuclear detonation in Sum of All Fears--fascinating stuff really.[/QUOTE]

My step father was in the Navy, and worked on some classified stuff at the time (this was 30+ years ago). Then he reads Tom Clancy and he's talking about the classified stuff he worked on in the book.