Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUMBEST thing the JETS have ever done?

Practice Squad

DUMBEST thing the JETS have ever done?

[url]http://www.faniq.com/article/30th-anniversary-of-guy-getting-killed-by-flying-lawn-mower-at-Jets-game-1916610[/url]

Today marks the 30th anniversary of a dude who got killed at a Jets game (at Shea) by a flying lawnmower. Seriously.

Here are the insane details from Loge 13:

The halftime show was by a group of aerial buffs that were called (I believe) The Flying Eagles (Wikipedia calls them Radio Control Association of Greater New York). They had these huge model airplanes that circled the stadium while their pilots ran around the football field with remote controls, guiding their crafts, buzzing the crowd and doing tricks. Why anyone thought it would be a novel idea to have airplanes at Shea for a halftime show when real airplanes fly across the skyline every 7 minutes is not worth discussing.

The club’s real schtick was they claimed they could make anything fly. And so they had flying chairs and washing machines and other stuff that doesn’t belong in the air. Then they sent aloft a lawnmower, which began circling the stadium at great speeds, even going through the uprights. The crowd roared in drunken delight but I remember looking down on the field, where the club pilots were all pointing up and twiddling the knobs on all their remotes. Meanwhile, the lawnmower just went around and around the stadium. That’s when we all realized the lawnmower was out of control.

After circling for a bit, suddenly the lawnmower stalled, over near the third base field boxes, and dropped straight down into the crowd, hitting John Bowen, from Nashua, New Hampshire. He died a week later.

According to Wikipedia: “On November 17, 1981 a $10 million damage suit was filed by the man’s father in the Federal District Court in Brooklyn. Named as defendants in the negligence suit were the New York Jets Football Club, the Radio Control Association of Greater New York, and the man who designed, built and furnished the model airplane.”

So, uh, pour one out for John Bowen today. And never, ever, send a lawnmower aloft.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Hiring Rich Kotite.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lHhcr2TxS4[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Parcells meeting with Archie Manning. Archie asked Parcells to guarantee they wouldn't trade the pick for Peyton Manning if he came out early. Parcells said no because he wanted to "shop for groceries". Manning back to Tennessee.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397447]Parcells meeting with Archie Manning. Archie asked Parcells to guarantee they wouldn't trade the pick for Peyton Manning if he came out early. Parcells said no because he wanted to "shop for groceries". Manning back to Tennessee.[/QUOTE]

God, that just makes me wanna stab Parcells in his dick-fat!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Richard Todd to AJ Duhy...three times...1 touchdown.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetswin;3397462]Richard Todd to AJ Duhy...three times...1 touchdown.[/QUOTE]

AJ DUHY?:steamin:

Slowly I turned....

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3397462]Richard Todd to AJ Duhy...three times...1 touchdown.[/QUOTE]

Painful to read this........ even today.:steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3397401]Hiring Rich Kotite.[/QUOTE]

and basically hiring him on a whim without, at the very least, picking up the phone to talk with Jimmy Johnson, before doing so.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3397489]and basically hiring him on a whim without, at the very least, picking up the phone to talk with Jimmy Johnson, before doing so.....[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Is this true?

egadz, didnt know that.:shakehead

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;3397494]:eek:

Is this true?

egadz, didnt know that.:shakehead[/QUOTE]

Yeah.... I remember that like yesterday.

HESS announces to the "sporting reporters"..

"I want to win a superbowl in my lifetime" and he promptly fires Carroll and hires DICK Kotite. Carroll was 7 and 7 going into the last 2 games and we lost them both. Carroll was one and done.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397447]Parcells meeting with Archie Manning. Archie asked Parcells to guarantee they wouldn't trade the pick for Peyton Manning if he came out early. Parcells said no because he wanted to "shop for groceries". Manning back to Tennessee.[/QUOTE]

#1 in my book

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3397499]Yeah.... I remember that like yesterday.

"I want to win a superbowl in my lifetime" and he promptly fires Carroll and hires DICK Kotite. Carroll was 7 and 7 going into the last 2 games and we lost them both. Carroll was one and done.[/QUOTE]

Kotite was after Carroll?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3397553]Kotite was after Carroll?[/QUOTE]
    "a dee's, dem's, doe's guy"

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

"I want to win a superbowl in my lifetime" and he promptly fires Carroll and hires DICK Kotite. Carroll was 7 and 7 going into the last 2 games and we lost them both. Carroll was one and done.[/QUOTE]

"I'm 80 years old...I don't have much time left..."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3397627]"I'm 80 years old...I don't have much time left..."[/QUOTE]

Lol, I remember that, I just didnt realize how sloppy the due diligence was as far as hiring Kotite. Guess the results, and Hess's eventual death, are a testimony to that.:eek:

Hall Of Fame

This killed me. Oh what could have been.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;3397454]God, that just makes me wanna stab Parcells in his dick-fat![/QUOTE]

:eek:

LOL :D

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe not the "dumbest", but possibly one of the worst moments.

Falling for the "fake spike".

If you recall, we were up big in that game, and if we hold on, we are in first place tied with the Fins WITH the tie-breaker--late November.

Marino brings them back, throws the fake snap dagger in our hearts and we end up losing the rest of our games.

And then going 1-15 the next year, I think.

Carroll was 6-5 and lost his last 5, I believe, starting with the Spike game.

The team quit.... from the point the Dolphins were down 24-6 to the end of the season, the Jets were outscored 109-36

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3397673]Carroll was 6-5 and lost his last 5, I believe, starting with the Spike game.

The team quit.... from the point the Dolphins were down 24-6 to the end of the season, the Jets were outscored 109-36[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected..... I would have passed a lie detector test thinking they were 7 and 7.

Thanks!