Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your irrational childhood fear?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What was your irrational childhood fear?

We all had real fears as kids--death, fire, heights, flying, drowning, snakes, unsupervised trips to the Rectory (read: buggery), bad report cards, Dad's kicking the crap out of you, bullies, girls, poison ivy, bees or wasps, etc.

And then there were the irrational ones--piranhas (like you were going to fall into the Roslyn Duck Pond and have your bones stripped in 45 seconds by thousands of them), black widow spiders, plate-lipped indians, being run-over by a steamroller, being bitten by an Egyptian Cobra, monsters, etc.

Was re-watching a great movie the other night--Apocalypto--and I was
    jolted into my youth by a scene that dredged up one of my biggest irrational fears as a kid.

Quicksand.

Yup, like I was going to be strolling down Glen Cove Road and cutting through a field to my house and all of a sudden I'd find my self knee-deep then chest-deep in a quagmire, sucking me deeper and deeper until I was no more.

Scared the crap outta me. In fact, my brothers and I used to practice regularly (well, maybe twice) how we'd foil the nasty stuff--try to lay prone, NEVER struggle and try to roll yourself over the top of it.

Anyone else have any idiotic irrational fears as a kid?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have vivid memories of lying in bed worried I might forget how to breathe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was and still am DEATHLY afraid of heights.

70 th floor of the WTC was a computer/ IT floor with a raised floor for wiring. So the floor was raised to window level. i walked to the edge and almost lost my lunch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After I finished grade school, I was afraid to go to Junior High because I thought the kids would hold me down and force me to take drugs. Probably heroin. Probably with a needle. I was deathly afraid of drugs. Once I was at
    a subway stop in New York and their was a "say no to drugs" poster that showed pictures of various drugs and someone wrote captions under each one like "Delicious for breakfast" and "My very favorite". I almost passed out at the thought of living in such a drug crazed society.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397748]... I thought the kids would hold me down and force me to take drugs. ...[/QUOTE]
    you went to school with Free?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Flyin fricken Lawnmowers, baby.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Halloween/Monsters/Images/Spider1.jpg[/IMG]

On a HS field trip to the museums in DC my friends tried to get me to TOUCH one of those things...f*ckers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397748]"Delicious for breakfast" and "My very favorite". [/QUOTE]

lol:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    For about 2 or 3 years in the early to mid 80's I was convinced there would be a nuclear explosion outside my house from the Soviets. :O

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397748]After I finished grade school, I was afraid to go to Junior High because I thought the kids would hold me down and force me to take drugs. Probably heroin. Probably with a needle. I was deathly afraid of drugs. Once I was at
    a subway stop in New York and their was a "say no to drugs" poster that showed pictures of various drugs and someone wrote captions under each one like "Delicious for breakfast" and "My very favorite". I almost passed out at the thought of living in such a drug crazed society.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/ghey-33917.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3397895]For about 2 or 3 years in the early to mid 80's I was convinced there would be a nuclear explosion outside my house from the Soviets. :O[/QUOTE]

:yes: Me too.

That's why Ronald Reagan is one of my American Heroes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still deathly afraid of heights.

When I was 6, I saw my dad reel in a 4 ft. barracuda while fishing in St. Maartin. I refused to go in any non-pool body of water for a good 3 years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone remember the whole, "skylab" is falling debacle back in '79?

That was pretty scary.

I had one neighbor, an older woman, who was obsessed with talking about it whenever we would walk by. After a while we would just yell "skylab!" and point at the sky and she would go oh my and slam the door.

We must have gotten her about six times before the stupid thing finally crashed, and about two times after.

I think she enjoyed the adrenaline rush at her age.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3397935]:yes: Me too.

That's why Ronald Reagan is one of my American Heroes.[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a fear of clowns. My grandma had all of these ceramic (and very creepy) clowns that just scared the hell out of me. I think it stemmed from my brothers making me watch the movie "It" while we visited an Aunt in Maine (where the film was set). I was only 9 yrs old.

[IMG]http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/03/13/stephen-kings-it-pennywise.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3397953]Anyone remember the whole, "skylab" is falling debacle back in '79?

That was pretty scary.

I had one neighbor, an older woman, who was obsessed with talking about it whenever we would walk by. After a while we would just yell "skylab!" and point at the sky and she would go oh my and slam the door.

We must have gotten her about six times before the stupid thing finally crashed, and about two times after.

I think she enjoyed the adrenaline rush at her age.[/QUOTE]

GTFO!! Of course!! :yes:

We had a "Skylab Party" at Hempstead Harbor Beach the saturday that it was supposed to break up and start falling which actually coincided with my 19th birthday. We hoped to watch it reenter during the party--although I think it fell into the Indian Ocean.

Kegs, burgers, dogs, booze, much merriment, and we called WPLJ and they actually mentioned us on the air that day--exhorting people to come out and join the party.

GREAT time. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was afraid that every time my family went to a store, they were going to leave me there.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was 13, it was being breast fed by the Milf that lived next door! Oh?! You said FEAR?!?!? Nevermind! :O

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3397729]We all had real fears as kids--death, fire, heights, flying, drowning, snakes, unsupervised trips to the Rectory (read: buggery), bad report cards, Dad's kicking the crap out of you, bullies, girls, poison ivy, bees or wasps, etc.

And then there were the irrational ones--piranhas (like you were going to fall into the Roslyn Duck Pond and have your bones stripped in 45 seconds by thousands of them), black widow spiders, plate-lipped indians, being run-over by a steamroller, being bitten by an Egyptian Cobra, monsters, etc.

Was re-watching a great movie the other night--Apocalypto--and I was
    jolted into my youth by a scene that dredged up one of my biggest irrational fears as a kid.

Quicksand.

Yup, like I was going to be strolling down Glen Cove Road and cutting through a field to my house and all of a sudden I'd find my self knee-deep then chest-deep in a quagmire, sucking me deeper and deeper until I was no more.

Scared the crap outta me. In fact, my brothers and I used to practice regularly (well, maybe twice) how we'd foil the nasty stuff--try to lay prone, NEVER struggle and try to roll yourself over the top of it.

Anyone else have any idiotic irrational fears as a kid?[/QUOTE]

I had a big issue with rats as a little kid but I had to get over that quickly living in the city and all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3398006]When I was 13, it was being breast fed by the Milf that lived next door! Oh?! You said FEAR?!?!? Nevermind! :O[/QUOTE]

One kid's fear is another kid's dream!