Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automobile quandry. How can a car accelerate on it's own?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Automobile quandry. How can a car accelerate on it's own?

I send this as a private message to someone and he is threatening to publicly post it. You probably know who he is. Very arrogant ba$tard.

Can you tell me how a car can accelerate itself, with no one in the car?

The mother of this dude I know gave him a Ford Taurus when she stopped driving recently. He doesn't use it much. Yesterday he decided to use it because his other cars were low on gas and he didn't feel like going to the gas station. You can laugh, but he had to go to the grocery store to buy peanuts for the squirrels. Why? Because if he didn't, they wouldn't come to his yard and destroy his yard and house, which is very important to his wife.
    He was supposed to do this the day before.

There is ice on his driveway, of course.

He backs the Taurus up on the lawn beyond the driveway so he can make the turn, and it gets stuck because it has no snow tires. He gets out of the car to survey the situation, and this is the important part, [B]he leaves it in drive[/B] because the car isn't going anywhere.

As he gets out, he hears the door shut behind him. He checks out the back area and nudges the car a bit. He pulls on the door handle to get back in the car. Locked. Evidently when the Ford Taurus is [B]in drive[/B] the doors lock automatically.

So now the car is running, locked, and nobody is inside. It's also still in Drive.

No big deal he thinks. He'll just let it run.

As he's staring at it, the engine revs, the front wheels spin, and the car moves sideways a bit. At the time he didn't know why the doors locked and he still doesn't know how it accelerated on it's own. Actually, he got a little chuckle out of it since no harm was done. The engine reved loudly ten seconds later and then does the same thing. It slid sideways even more though, and the front tires have now shifted to a less icy part of the driveway so they can grip gravel and go. He wasn't laughing anymore.
    I should add that Led Zeppelin was blasting, making it look even more like the car was alive and driving itself.

I won't go into detail, but before this happened, he was trying to make a 90 degree turn to go down the driveway when he got stuck. The car, now with no one inside, made about a 30 degree turn on it's own because the steering wheel was turned to go down the driveway. When he nudged the car and got it off the ice, the car was now doing what he tried to do. All he knows is that if the car does this about four more times, it's going to right itself on the driveway... slide down into the street.... with no one in it... locked... and Whole Lotta Love blaring... At this point he was worried about making the local news as buffoon of the week, and everybody knows everybody up here.

He contemplated getting a sledge hammer to break the driver side window and shut the car off. Fortunately the car didn't rev on it's own anymore.

He called his wife to come home with the only other key. She said he sounded so shook up that she thought there was a death in the family.

He's a pretty bright guy...personable...could have happened to anyone.

What is with the acceleration on its own?
    Last edited by Timmy®; 12-11-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone remember about 20years ago when Audi's would, for some reason, take off forwards even though the gear shift showed the car was in park???

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397862]The mother of this dude I know gave him a Ford Taurus when she stopped driving recently. [/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

lolz
    Last edited by 32green; 12-11-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm...a car shouldn't accelerate on it's own without someone pulling on the throttle cable...

...but in drive, a car will creep forward on it's own...and given enough "runway room" can get going faster than you might think.

But rev the engine?? I dunno about that one...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Timmay........

What's the point of this????

I see nothing "personal",

What's the deal?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    just started it? my truck does that to warm up sometimes. goes through brief periods of higher RPM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3397881]anyone remember about 20years ago when Audi's would, for some reason, take off forwards even though the gear shift showed the car was in park???[/QUOTE]

I remember it as being in drive, but not having to step on the gas pedal for it to start moving forward. But there was no wheel spinning...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3397886]Ummm...a car shouldn't accelerate on it's own without someone pulling on the throttle cable...

...but in drive, a car will creep forward on it's own...and given enough "runway room" can get going faster than you might think.

But rev the engine?? I dunno about that one...[/QUOTE]

He saw it with his own eyes, front tires spun fast and car accelerated loudly.

We speculated it could be because he gunned the motor a couple of times
    to get the car moving and it didn't go. An air or vacuum build up?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;3397890]just started it? my truck does that to warm up sometimes. goes through brief periods of higher RPM.[/QUOTE]

Yes the car was started about twenty seconds before this all happened.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The throttle cable was stuck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397901]Yes the car was started about twenty seconds before this all happened.[/QUOTE]

I think Free is right....I also had a Nissan pickup that did that too. I could see that car doing that if it had just been started...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;3397890]just started it? my truck does that to warm up sometimes. goes through brief periods of higher RPM.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;3397911]The throttle cable was stuck.[/QUOTE]

Nice theories but no mention of why he thought it would be a good idea to step out of a running vehicle in drive?

:dunno:

Btw, Timmmeh, I think that arrogant ba$tard was only kidding with you, but I guess you blinked.:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397862]I send this as a private message to someone and he is threatening to publicly post it. You probably know who he is. Very arrogant ba$tard.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this part. You're saying you sent everything below this sentence to someone here as a PM and he threatened to post it? Why would he post it?

Maybe I'm just confused.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a BONG is stuck near the gas pedal?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3397927]Nice theories but no mention of why he thought it would be a good idea to step out of a running vehicle in drive?

:dunno:

Btw, Timmmeh, I think that arrogant ba$tard was only kidding with you, but I guess you blinked.:D[/QUOTE]

Ah he knows you were kidding...er, I mean I do...I can't keep everyone straight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3397937]I don't understand this part. You're saying you sent everything below this sentence to someone here as a PM and he threatened to post it? Why would he post it?

Maybe I'm just confused.[/QUOTE]

Oh Jeez

[B]I'm the guy you dumbazzes
    [/B]

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397946]Oh Jeez

[/B][/QUOTE]

DOH!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A car will go into high idle to warm up, but it shouldn't do that when in drive, only in park.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3397946]Oh Jeez

[/B][/QUOTE]

rofl - which makes Hess Station's quote even funnier

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks cause throttle hesitation, which is what is being described...just unfortunately while in drive.

[url]http://www.ehow.com/facts_5072548_symptoms-vacuum-leak-car.html[/url]