Thread: COMPUTER PEOPLE_NEED HELP PLEASE!!

Veteran

COMPUTER PEOPLE_NEED HELP PLEASE!!

Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you guys out there can help me out.

First, Im not an idiot with a computer. But this issue I have is giving me fits in trying to find a solution.

We have our old computer, which has [B]windows 98[/B]. And there is a file of important photos on there that I'd like to take off. But our new computer has Vista premium on it. I've tried everything. The old computer is that. OLD. The CD rom doesnt have a CD burner in it, so I can't go that route. It has a hard disk drive in it, but 1, the folder/pics are too big to put on a hard disk and 2, our new computer doesn't have a hard disk drive.

I was going to try and use a flash drive, but the one I have isn't compatable with Windows 98. Can't do it that way. Then I was going to try to hook up my old computer to my cable modem and email them to my hotmail account, but my old computer is set up for 56k dial up. I was then wanting to use Vista's easy transfer, but that's only compatable with Windows 2000 and up.

Anybody have any answers to this issue? This is very important to me. I'd like everything to remain low cost or free because Im going to destroy/recycle the old computer. Thanks in advance for your help!

Zip disk? Can't remember if they work with 98, but if I had to guess I'd say they do.

I like how I ignored that you probably don't have a zip drive on either computer...but best idea I've got. I feel like there's something I'm missing with that...

Veteran

No sir, I don't.

On either. Can't I down load win zip?

[QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;3398114] 1, the folder/pics are too big to put on a hard disk
    [/QUOTE]
    What does too big to put on the hard disk mean?

What about this?

[url]http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=IDE+to+USB&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2489542834808802122&ei=R6ciS_qTPIjdlAfh2MH-CQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCIQ8gIwAw#[/url]

Option 1
    There are flash drives that are compatible with WIN98. They come with a CD with the drivers you need to install to make them work.

Option 2
    You can borrow someones external hard drive to move the files. But you will probably have the same issue you have with the flas drive.

Option 3
    You can physically remove the hard drive out of the old PC and connect it as a slave drive to your new PC. You can probably keep it in there for extra storage or a back up. The old hard drive is an IDE drive and the new PC might have SATA connections. The new PC would have to have IDE channels on the motherboard to make this work.

Option 4
    They sell Hard drive enclosures (less than $30..pictured below) where you can connect your old hard drive to and then connect it to your new PC via USB cable.

Option 5
    Remove your old hard drive, send it to me. I'll copy the documents on to a CD, DVD or flash drive and send it back to you. Free of charge.

[IMG]http://na.tm.agilent.com/images/diskenclosure.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3398142]What does too big to put on the hard disk mean?

What about this?

[url]http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=IDE+to+USB&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2489542834808802122&ei=R6ciS_qTPIjdlAfh2MH-CQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCIQ8gIwAw#[/url][/QUOTE]

I think he's referring to the floppy drive as a hard disk.

Veteran

DOH!

[QUOTE=Sparky24;3398158]I think he's referring to the floppy drive as a hard disk.[/QUOTE]

My bad, lol. That's what I meant.

I purchased a transfer cable a couple of years ago, but I couldn't get it to work. I think I accidently bought one for XP and 98 instead of Vista and 98.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;3398114]Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you guys out there can help me out.

First, Im not an idiot with a computer. But this issue I have is giving me fits in trying to find a solution.

We have our old computer, which has [B]windows 98[/B]. And there is a file of important photos on there that I'd like to take off. But our new computer has Vista premium on it. I've tried everything. The old computer is that. OLD. The CD rom doesnt have a CD burner in it, so I can't go that route. It has a hard disk drive in it, but 1, the folder/pics are too big to put on a hard disk and 2, our new computer doesn't have a hard disk drive.

I was going to try and use a flash drive, but the one I have isn't compatable with Windows 98. Can't do it that way. Then I was going to try to hook up my old computer to my cable modem and email them to my hotmail account, but my old computer is set up for 56k dial up. I was then wanting to use Vista's easy transfer, but that's only compatable with Windows 2000 and up.

Anybody have any answers to this issue? This is very important to me. I'd like everything to remain low cost or free because Im going to destroy/recycle the old computer. Thanks in advance for your help![/QUOTE]
    Follow Sparky's advice! :)
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 12-12-2009 at 03:39 AM.

[QUOTE=Sparky24;3398154]Option 1
    There are flash drives that are compatible with WIN98. They come with a CD with the drivers you need to install to make them work.

Option 2
    You can borrow someones external hard drive to move the files. But you will probably have the same issue you have with the flas drive.

Option 3
    You can physically remove the hard drive out of the old PC and connect it as a slave drive to your new PC. You can probably keep it in there for extra storage or a back up. The old hard drive is an IDE drive and the new PC might have SATA connections. The new PC would have to have IDE channels on the motherboard to make this work.

Option 4
    They sell Hard drive enclosures (less than $30..pictured below) where you can connect your old hard drive to and then connect it to your new PC via USB cable.

Option 5
    Remove your old hard drive, send it to me. I'll copy the documents on to a CD, DVD or flash drive and send it back to you. Free of charge.

[IMG]http://na.tm.agilent.com/images/diskenclosure.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

These are all good options. If you feel in over your head and have a few extra bucks the folks atr geek squad will gladly assist as well. You really should be able to accomplish one of these options though.