Thread: Everton finalizing deal with Landon Donovan

Veteran

Landon Donovan to Everton

Everton FC is finalizing a deal that will bring him over from the Galaxy on loan. He will join fellow US National Team goalkeeper Tim Howard, a key staple for Everton. I am really, really looking forward to seeing Donovan in the EPL. I just hope he doesn't wind up with a broken leg so close to the World Cup.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 12-12-2009 at 09:58 AM.

I'd rather have the guy playing in EPL in the run up to the WC than doing nothing. His tune-up shouldn't be against inferior MLS level competition.

That being said, the guy will have to get off the bench for it to matter. His last loan to Bayern was very limited action (with exception of non league play) during the tumultuous last days of Klinsy.

Liverpool fans have a nickname for the Everton fans - 'bitters'. Because they are so bitter about everything and constantly complain about the injustices of football. Donovan seems to be a nice fit given his griping over Beckham at Galaxy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Liverpool fans have a nickname for the Everton fans - 'bitters'. Because they are so bitter about everything and constantly complain about the injustices of football. Donovan seems to be a nice fit given his griping over Beckham at Galaxy.
    This might seem like a stupid question but I am still a Yank new to watching the EPL. What is the relevance/meaning of "Toffee?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    This might seem like a stupid question but I am still a Yank new to watching the EPL. What is the relevance/meaning of "Toffee?"
    Per wiki: Everton's most widely recognised nickname is "The Toffees" or "The Toffeemen", which came about after Everton had moved to Goodison. There are several explanations for how this name came to be adopted, the most well known being that there was a business near the ground named Mother Noblett's Toffee Shop which advertised and sold sweets, including the Everton Mint, on match days. This also led to the Toffee Lady tradition in which a girl walks around the perimeter of the pitch before the start of a game tossing free Everton Mints into the crowd. Another possible reason is that there was a house named Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House near the Queen's Head hotel in which early club meetings took place.[27]

Veteran
    Per wiki: Everton's most widely recognised nickname is "The Toffees" or "The Toffeemen", which came about after Everton had moved to Goodison. There are several explanations for how this name came to be adopted, the most well known being that there was a business near the ground named Mother Noblett's Toffee Shop which advertised and sold sweets, including the Everton Mint, on match days. This also led to the Toffee Lady tradition in which a girl walks around the perimeter of the pitch before the start of a game tossing free Everton Mints into the crowd. Another possible reason is that there was a house named Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House near the Queen's Head hotel in which early club meetings took place.[27]
    Nice. I was curious. I am glad you are in the other football forum. Reading what some Jets fans are writing tonight is beyond belief. Opinions can vary but I have to wonder what some of these guys are watching?

Nice. I was curious. I am glad you are in the other football forum. Reading what some Jets fans are writing tonight is beyond belief. Opinions can vary but I have to wonder what some of these guys are watching?

To be fair, what Donovan said was right, he just should have said it to Beckham, not Grant Wahl.

Also, despite not getting playing time in Germany, Donovan came back from there seemingly a much better player.

I agree that the most important thing for Donovan is to get some playing time, though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    OK, who peed in Beckham's hair?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Altidore dove like Greg Louganis.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Altidore dove like Greg Louganis.
    I seriously hope you aren't complaining about the refs during the US/Italy games.

The Red card the US received was so harsh, even Italian players were saying it should have been a yellow

Veteran
    Just in case anyone cares, I watched Donovan play today on a live streaming. Here is how I saw his performance: He started at what appeared to be an attacking outside right midfielder. He played a steady 90 minutes in a 2-0 Everton FC victory over a formidable Manchester City club. However, Landon was far more visible in the first half. He showed off his speed on a few runs as well as some creativity. He took almost all of the corners and nearly had an assist but a header rang off the crossbar. He was less noticeable in the second half. Perhaps, he is not fully fit. His defending was too passive IMO, but he was not beaten. He will have to adjust to the physical nature of the EPL. He was substituted off in the final minutes of injury time and received a nice ovation from the Everton crowd. Overall, a decent outing for our Yankee captain.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 01-16-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Just in case anyone cares, I watched Donovan play today on a live streaming. Here is how I saw his performance: He started at what appeared to be an attacking outside right midfielder. He played a steady 90 minutes in a 2-0 Everton FC victory over a formidable Manchester City club. However, Landon was far more visible in the first half. He showed off his speed on a few runs as well as some creativity. He took almost all of the corners and nearly had an assist but a header rang off the crossbar. He was less noticeable in the second half. Perhaps, he is not fully fit. His defending was too passive IMO, but he was not beaten. He will have to adjust to the physical nature of the EPL. He was substituted off in the final minutes of injury time and received a nice ovation from the Everton crowd. Overall, a decent outing for our Yankee captain.
    FSC carried the game yesterday. Agreed, much more noticeable in the 1st half, and he set up several decent opportunities. Missed an early opportunity for a goal from a difficult angle. The Everton fans seem to be very supportive of him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    FSC carried the game yesterday. Agreed, much more noticeable in the 1st half, and he set up several decent opportunities. Missed an early opportunity for a goal from a difficult angle. The Everton fans seem to be very supportive of him so far.
    He also had an assist off of a corner in his first start against Arsenal that resulted in a 2-2 draw.

Veteran
    Donovan netted his first EPL goal today against Sunderland. I watched a video of it but don't know how you guys post it. Can someone please post?