Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

As in the film. Getting great reviews for a 'blockbuster', critics are saying it will redefine popular cinema in the same way Star Wars did all those years ago. Apparently it is a film squarely aimed at the teen market, but it looks like you'll be hearing a lot about it over the holiday period.

No interest to see this movie for some reason. Although I hear great reviews and I'm a sci fi buff. There's just something that doesn't appeal to me.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3400064]No interest to see this movie for some reason. Although I hear great reviews and I'm a sci fi buff. There's just something that doesn't appeal to me.[/QUOTE]

Me either...but I know the reason. It looks ****ing awful.

I'm gunna end up seeing it but will definitely need some assistance :leaf

It's getting a lot of great reviews, but they all seem to be based on the special effects. I read that the story is very cliched and the dialogue is corny.

I certainly won't be paying $10 to donate to James Cameron's Ego Fund.

Cameron is a great technical director, but as a screenwriter his stories and dialogue have always left a lot to be desired. I'll still go see Avatar though. The CGI effects look amazing.

[QUOTE]No interest to see this movie for some reason. Although I hear great reviews and I'm a sci fi buff. There's just something that doesn't appeal to me.[/QUOTE]

+1...I expect it won't be as intellectually stimulating as a Sci-fi movie like District 9 was and it kind of turns me off. I'll still watch it cause it looks pretty cool, but I'm thinking only for free.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3401386]+1...I expect it won't be as intellectually stimulating as a Sci-fi movie like District 9 was and it kind of turns me off. I'll still watch it cause it looks pretty cool, but I'm thinking only for free.[/QUOTE]

I was actually disappointed with District 9. I felt the theme was shoved down our throats in a not so subtle way (as opposed to being shoved down our throats in a subtle way?).

[QUOTE=Crease29;3401447]I was actually disappointed with District 9. I felt the theme was shoved down our throats in a not so subtle way (as opposed to being shoved down our throats in a subtle way?).[/QUOTE]

No way you can make a movie like that in this day and age and not seem like you're shoving a point down anyone's throat. The complexity of the point combined with Jackson's execution made that movie absolutely stunning imo.

Peter Jackson > James Cameron.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3401456]No way you can make a movie like that in this day and age and not seem like you're shoving a point down anyone's throat. The complexity of the point combined with Jackson's execution made that movie absolutely stunning imo.

[B]Peter Jackson > James Cameron.[/B][/QUOTE]

Now that's something I can agree with. :yes:

Veteran
    Good article if you're interested in the tech side of things:

[url]http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4339455.html[/url]

Got me kinda excited for the movie whereas I didn't have any expectations beforehand so...

Banned
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3401456]
    Peter Jackson > James Cameron.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Cameron arguably one of the greatest directors of all time. He's easily the greatest action director ever. Terminators 1 & 2, Aliens, Titanic, True Lies and even wrote Rambo: First Blood.

Peter Jackson is so freakin overrated. The Lord of The Rings movies were a hyped up borefest, King Kong was actually better but no way does that movie even compare to an Aliens or T2.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3401604]:eek:

Cameron arguably one of the greatest directors of all time. He's easily the greatest action director ever. Terminators 1 & 2, Aliens, Titanic, True Lies and even wrote Rambo: First Blood.

Peter Jackson is so freakin overrated. The Lord of The Rings movies were a hyped up borefest, King Kong was actually better but no way does that movie even compare to an Aliens or T2.[/QUOTE]

+100000000000000000000.

Not even close.

Will not be seeing this movie. It's a combination of me not liking this type of flick and also the movie just doesn't look that good IMO.

Veteran
    not really into the whole starwars meets terminator meets animation meets love story meets weird sifi shiz.

ill prob skip.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3400064]No interest to see this movie for some reason. Although I hear great reviews and I'm a sci fi buff. There's just something that doesn't appeal to me.[/QUOTE]

AMEN, same here, no interest whatsoever.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3401456]No way you can make a movie like that in this day and age and not seem like you're shoving a point down anyone's throat. The complexity of the point combined with Jackson's execution made that movie absolutely stunning imo.

Peter Jackson > James Cameron.[/QUOTE]

Jackson didn't direct District 9, he produced it and provided cheap labor to the director/his butt-buddy Neill Blomkamp (who also created the original short film that D9 was based on, Alive in Joburg).

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8[/URL]
    Last edited by Jonathan; 12-14-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Anyone else see this yet? I saw it last night. Amazing movie! Must be experienced in 3D. IMAX would be incredible. I'm a 41 year old man and it's the best movie I've seen in many years. A "must see" in 3d!

Banned
    [QUOTE=ten-not-done;3409197]Anyone else see this yet? I saw it last night. Amazing movie! Must be experienced in 3D. IMAX would be incredible. I'm a 41 year old man and it's the best movie I've seen in many years. A "must see" in 3d![/QUOTE]

It was sold out in 3D so I saw it in regular version. Good movie, lots of action and FX, story is basically Dances With Wolves on another planet.

I'm in the same boat. Huge sci-fi/fantasy fan. Animation does not bother me. Avatar just looks meh to me. If I can zero in on anything I would say the story looks like it is going to turn out very cliche. The big bad imperialists and all that.