Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hangover & Inglorious Bastards -worthy blind buys on Blu-ray?

All Pro

The Hangover & Inglorious Bastards -worthy blind buys on Blu-ray?

I know everyone says the Hangover is the funniest movie in a while but just how funny is it, I need some comparisons to some other classic comedies to determine if it's worth a blind buy on Blu-ray (prolly $20 or so)?

Also, IB got some great reviews and friends who saw it love it...someone convince me please.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3402025][B]I know everyone says the Hangover is the funniest movie in a while but just how funny is it, I need some comparisons to some other classic comedies to determine if it's worth a blind buy on Blu-ray (prolly $20 or so)?[/B]
    Also, IB got some great reviews and friends who saw it love it...someone convince me please.[/QUOTE]

Think of the best comedy of all time. Best you have EVER seen.

Hangover is better, funnier.

Funniest movie of all-time. IMHO. And I'm a movie buff.

$20 is a mere token to own it.

Sure, some will say Blazing Saddles or some other classic, yet dated comedy.

For this decade, none funnier.

IB, ok movie, not sure it's a movie you want to watch over and over and over, i.e., not sure you need to own it.

Absolutely worth the buy for both. Saw The Hangover twice in theaters and Inglorious Basterds once. Loved them both and are 2 of the best new movies I've seen in a long while. You won't be disappointed.

Hangover is easily on my list of funniest movies of all-time, possibly even number one.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3402033]Think of the best comedy of all time. Best you have EVER seen.

IB, ok movie, not sure it's a movie you want to watch over and over and over, i.e., not sure you need to own it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, some nice praise there. Yeah, I'm a HUGE movie/home theater/stereo equipment buff as well. Obviously a big Big Lebowski fan, so on par with that?
    Last edited by RageATL; 12-16-2009 at 01:24 AM.

[QUOTE=JStokes;3402033]Think of the best comedy of all time. Best you have EVER seen.

IB, ok movie, not sure it's a movie you want to watch over and over and over, i.e., not sure you need to own it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, completely agree about The Hangover.

Disagree about Inglorious Basterds. It was phenomenal IMO.

I saw a lot of movies in 2009, and these two are the best, by far. The Hangover was the funniest movie I've seen since Old School. Great movie.

Inglourious Basterds is simply the best Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. It's ambitious but delivers on every point. Not as groundbreaking as Pulp Fiction from a storytelling standpoint, but I thought the characters and plot were better, imo. Definitely worth the price of a Blu-Ray disc.

Personally, I see a movie once, I can't watch it again for years. I would never buy a movie on DVD or Blue-Ray.

Anyone see In Bruges? I seen it last night, very good black comedy.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3402045]I saw a lot of movies in 2009, and these two are the best, by far. The Hangover was the funniest movie I've seen since Old School. Great movie.

Inglourious Basterds is simply the best Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. It's ambitious but delivers on every point. Not as groundbreaking as Pulp Fiction from a storytelling standpoint, but I thought the characters and plot were better, imo. Definitely worth the price of a Blu-Ray disc.[/QUOTE]

UGH, did you have to say Old School? I HATED that movie, I just don't get it. A few funny parts but as a whole, didn't do it for me. That being said, sounds like I'll be buying both on BR Tuesday.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3402052]Anyone see In Bruges? I seen it last night, very good black comedy.[/QUOTE]

One of my favorites from last year, actually probably in my top 10 or 15 over the last 5 years.

GREAT movie.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3402043]

Disagree about Inglorious Basterds. It was phenomenal IMO.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pauliec;3402045]

Inglourious Basterds is simply the best Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. It's ambitious but delivers on every point. Not as groundbreaking as Pulp Fiction from a storytelling standpoint, but I thought the characters and plot were better, imo. Definitely worth the price of a Blu-Ray disc.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong--I liked IB a LOT. I was expecting/hoping for a Tarrantino classic and it delivered--easily his best since PF.

I would watch it again, but probably not enough to own it.

Again, VERY VERY good movie.

[QUOTE=RageATL;3402040]Wow, some nice praise there. Yeah, I'm a HUGE movie buff/hometheater/stereo equipment as well. Obviously a big Big Lebowski fan, so on par with that?[/QUOTE]

Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies ever -- and i think The Hangover is right on that level.

i've only seen it once, so i don't know if it has the "watch it over and over and it never gets old" ability of Big Lebowski, but given all the ins, outs and what-have-yous, i'd say Hangover is without a doubt a movie you'll enjoy watching more than once. BY FAR the funniest movie of the 2000's.

haven't seen Basterds yet.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3402469]Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies ever -- and i think The Hangover is right on that level.

i've only seen it once, so i don't know if it has the "watch it over and over and it never gets old" ability of Big Lebowski, but given all the ins, outs and what-have-yous, i'd say Hangover is without a doubt a movie you'll enjoy watching more than once. BY FAR the funniest movie of the 2000's.

haven't seen Basterds yet.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to respectfully disagree after picking up The Hangover today. I liked it, but was extremely underwhelmed. IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to the Big Lebowkski or many other comedies for that matter. Anybody wanna buy a once watched Blu-ray copy of it? ;)

All Pro
    Just got done with IB. Great movie indeed, just not so sure it will be one of those repeated viewing movies for me. I traded in some DVDs to get these 2 movies for free, so not really a waste of money, but I'm not 100% that I will not trade them in for something else.

Thanks for everyone's input, much obliged.

All League
    Just saw IB last night I thought it was great. I would own this one first and recommend it to anyone.

The Hangover was funny no doubt about it, but IMO Wedding Crashers was the funnier movie of the 2000's.

I bought both movies this week, but only on regular DVD since neither of them is one that has images or sound that you'll appreciate more on Blu-ray.

Now let me start off by saying that I am a huge Tarantino fan. I can watch Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction over and over again. Kill Bill (I & II) is great and I even like Jackie Brown. Having said that, I thought Inglorious Basterds was a disappointment. I could barely make it to the end of it. If it wasn't for the Col. Landa character it would be unwatchable. I think it's because it's a complete reimagining of actual events is where it lost me. Give me "The Dirty Dozen" anyday over that.

I'll watch The Hangover tonight since with the weather I'm most likely not going anywhere for the next day or so.

Banned
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3405076]I'll have to respectfully disagree after picking up The Hangover today. I liked it, but was extremely underwhelmed. IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to the Big Lebowkski or many other comedies for that matter. Anybody wanna buy a once watched Blu-ray copy of it? ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm a Lebowski fan myself but you really think that was funnier than Hangover?

All Pro
    Movies over two hours dont have a lot of re-watch value on DVD. Inglorious Bastards is the kind of movie I saw in theatres that I'd watch once on DVD and just watch bits and pieces of it whenever its on HBO. IB is good but I feel like the dialogue is even excessive for Tarintino. I liked Kill Bill better.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3402052]Anyone see In Bruges? I seen it last night, very good black comedy.[/QUOTE]

Thought In Bruges was better than both Hangover and Basterds. But then again, I think the hype raised my expectations on the latter two and I was ultimately disappointed.

I don't think either is worth a purchase.

Veteran
    i love the hangover.

the pictures at the end are priceless.

IB i saw 3 times in the moves (3 diff groups of friends) great movie, i even stole the movie poster. but dono if id buy it.

im snowed in at school for the next day or two, just went to a redbox and rented the new star trek and "the goods" so should be good.