Thread: OT: Wages in New Jersey

OT: Wages in New Jersey

I am applying for a job in New Jersey and one of the questions is what are your salary expectations. I don't know what my expectations should be for a place like East Rutherford or surrounding areas. I know what I make here in Indiana is not going to do much in NJ but what is reasonable? I make right around 28,000 in Indiana and while not completely satisfactory I can only imagine that 28 is too little in that area. What are some of the thoughts of my fellow JI members from the area? Oh and the job is in turf management/facilities management if that helps. Thanks

sorry, i live in Connecticut.

All League
    i live in PA., if i had to take a job in that hole i would demand a 30% raise!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=dubnick55;3404787]I am applying for a job in New Jersey and one of the questions is what are your salary expectations. I don't know what my expectations should be for a place like East Rutherford or surrounding areas. I know what I make here in Indiana is not going to do much in NJ but what is reasonable? I make right around 28,000 in Indiana and while not completely satisfactory I can only imagine that 28 is too little in that area. What are some of the thoughts of my fellow JI members from the area? Oh and the job is in turf management/facilities management if that helps. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Do you have a family etc?

Yeah I don't necessarily like the idea of living in Jersey but this job is the one job that I've really always wanted so if I don't apply then I will forever be wondering what if? Yes wife and a 16 month old. The wife works in health care so I know that the pay will be competitive if we move but I was just trying to make sure that I set ourselves up to succeed rather than fail.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=DBAKE;3404793]i live in PA., if i had to take a job in that hole i would demand a 30% raise![/QUOTE]

That's just the way we like people to see things that don't live around here, and people like you that whack it in an outhouse. Keeps them out, that and the the high taxes, and the NJ Turnpike you moron.

Banned
    $28K will get you alot further in Indiana than it will in NJ that's for sure. Problem is I've been to Indiana and damn is that place boring. That said there are affordable places to live in Central Jersey - you can survive on $28K in Jersey, you wouldn't last a week in one of the 5 boros of New York City.

Most parts of Bergen County will be too expensive. I'd commute from Middlesex County where you can rent an apt for $500 a month.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dubnick55;3404796]Yeah I don't necessarily like the idea of living in Jersey but this job is the one job that I've really always wanted so if I don't apply then I will forever be wondering what if? Yes wife and a 16 month old. The wife works in health care so I know that the pay will be competitive if we move but I was just trying to make sure that I set ourselves up to succeed rather than fail.[/QUOTE]

Will you be working in the new stadium is that why you want ER?

All League
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3404801]$28K will get you alot further in Indiana than it will in NJ that's for sure. Problem is I've been to Indiana and damn is that place boring. That said there are affordable places to live in Central Jersey - you can survive on $28K in Jersey, you wouldn't last a week in one of the 5 boros of New York City.

Most parts of Bergen County will be too expensive. I'd commute from Middlesex County where you can rent an apt for $500 a month.[/QUOTE]
    if he rents an apt for $500, he's not living in middlesex county unless it's a slum in new brunswick. expect rent to be around $1000-$1300 for a 2 bedroom apt.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HitSomeone41;3404792]sorry, i live in Connecticut.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DBAKE;3404793]i live in PA., if i had to take a job in that hole i would demand a 30% raise![/QUOTE]

I too, do not live or work in Jersey.

Hope that helps.

:eek::rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dubnick55;3404796]Yeah I don't necessarily like the idea of living in Jersey but this job is the one job that I've really always wanted so if I don't apply then I will forever be wondering what if? Yes wife and a 16 month old. The wife works in health care so I know that the pay will be competitive if we move but I was just trying to make sure that I set ourselves up to succeed rather than fail.[/QUOTE]

Figure on at least 100k for household income, if you rent 1,600-2,000k or a minimum 300k and up for a condo, or fixer upper house up around E. Rutherford. NJ is the wealthiest state in the union, we go back and forth every year with Conn. So you might not have to worry about liking the idea of living in NJ.

All League
    [QUOTE=dubnick55;3404787]I am applying for a job in New Jersey and one of the questions is what are your salary expectations. I don't know what my expectations should be for a place like East Rutherford or surrounding areas. I know what I make here in Indiana is not going to do much in NJ but what is reasonable? I make right around 28,000 in Indiana and while not completely satisfactory I can only imagine that 28 is too little in that area. What are some of the thoughts of my fellow JI members from the area? Oh and the job is in turf management/facilities management if that helps. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and get a commission job. If you need a place to go, let me know. My company has a branch office in Jersey.

Yes I have applied for a job at the new stadium. It isn't because I am a jets fan it is because it has always been a dream of mine to take care of a professional facility...that being said the Jets are a plus. Thank you everyone for your input. I know that I don't have the job yet, it will however be helpful to know the range that I could/should be asking for. Anyway thanks again everyone.

[QUOTE=dubnick55;3405156]Yes I have applied for a job at the new stadium. It isn't because I am a jets fan it is because it has always been a dream of mine to take care of a professional facility...that being said the Jets are a plus. Thank you everyone for your input. I know that I don't have the job yet, it will however be helpful to know the range that I could/should be asking for. Anyway thanks again everyone.[/QUOTE]
    There probably isn't an abundance of these specific jobs out there, but can you hop on a Monster, Glassdoor.com, etc. and see what they're offering for openings in the tri state area?

Veteran
    as a delivery boy in HS i made bank.

great tips, good hourly wage. workin 5 days a i was getting like 4-6 hundos per week.

strait cash homie.

strippers loved me cause i always had abundant singles.