Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Sanchez keeping Jets out of playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN: Sanchez keeping Jets out of playoffs.

By Tim Graham
    How much differently would the New York Jets' season have gone if they'd gone with a competent veteran quarterback instead of erratic rookie Mark Sanchez?

We woke up Monday morning to see the Jets ranked first in the NFL in rushing offense, first in total defense and first in passing defense.

That would appear to be a winning formula. Yet the Jets are on the outer fringes of the AFC playoff race. They're tied with the Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens at 7-6, but all three of them have tiebreaker advantages over the Jets and easier remaining schedules.

The Jets probably won't make the playoffs, and when they look back on it, the reason will be their decision to start Sanchez all year rather than have him serve as an apprentice.

Maybe one day he'll prove to be worthy of his "Sanchise" moniker, but he killed them in 2009.

The Jets didn't need a superstar. All they needed was someone who wasn't capable of throwing four or five interceptions a game. Behind workhorse back Thomas Jones, the Jets are averaging 169.1 rushing yards a game. They're limiting opponents to 264.7 total yards and 160.4 passing yards a game. The Jets rank 27th in team passer rating at 62.4.

Sanchez, during that repugnant stretch in which the Jets lost six out of seven games in October and November, threw six touchdown passes and 14 interceptions. Take away one of those games -- say, the five-interception performance in a sudden-death loss to the Buffalo Bills at the Meadowlands -- and the Jets are in control of their own destiny.

I'm not convinced Kellen Clemens, who started Sunday's blowout over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of Sanchez's knee injury, would have been the answer. Clemens would love to be considered an average NFL quarterback.

But what if the Jets had signed somebody such as Jeff Garcia or somehow convinced Brett Favre to give it another whirl?
    Last edited by DBAKE; 12-15-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this is news to anyone. Obviously the rookie QB has been struggling, but I don't think he's been worse than any other rookie QB. If the Jets had signed Jeff Garcia, they might have a winning record now, but who would you want to play QB next year, or in the future. If you were hoping for a rookie QB to produce as well as a veteran, then you were the only one

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Also people forget that he led the team down the field and gave the team the lead with less then two minutes left against jax, and the defense let us down.

He also handed the defense the lead in the first dolphins game and the defense let them down.

He also played well in the 2nd dolphins game, but 21 points off of turn overs (not his fault) was too much and had a shot to win the game in the final minutes of the day.

If the defense had been playing the way it has the past few games (read creating turn overs) we would have won a few of those games we lost.

Not saying sanchez is innocent by any stretch, but he is not the only reason we aren't in the playoffs. (as of right now)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Brett Favre (healthy) at QB, this team has minimum three more wins (probably 4) than now.
    I dont think anybody truly disagrees with that.
    Such is life. You make decisions and then you live with the outcome.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup, we all know that, but if i had to do it all over, Id do it the SAME way, only way IMO to learn.

He's the Present, and the Future, and could also take us to the playoffs this year, its not to late.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As bad as Sanchez's losses have been, he also legitimately deserves credit for some wins. He pulled through and made plays against NE and TEN.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense cost us the first Miami game and the Jags game. Special teams cost us the second Miami game.

This team should be 10 - 3 right now but they aren't, putting that on the rookie QB is an easy scapegoat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez didn't lose to Miami twice or Jacksonville. Our league-leading defense (special teams in 2nd Miami game) **** the bed late in the game.

The Jets just couldn't finish games this year. Hopefully they're able to do that with another year under Rex, but I really don't think it should be put on him. Every good team loses games because of their quarterback occasionally; Sanchez single-handedly lost 3.

It's not all Sanchez's fault, this writer is an idiot. If our defense/special teams can get one stop at the end of 3 of our games, this is a 10-3 team.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy should win "most obvious article of the year" award.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we didnt know how to finish, and we were a young team, learning a new system, i seriously think we've learned how to finish, and are a MUCH better team, I really like our chances the next 3 weeks.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez really cost the jets maybe 2 wins. The buffalo game and the New Orleans game. The whole team was off in the 2nd NE game. The defense and special teams also cost the jets 2 games (the two miami games). I think statin that Sanchez destroyed the jets in 2009 is too strong.

You could also make the argument that the running game has benefitted from Mark's abilities in the pocket, as evidenced by Kellen's struggles in the last game.

So it goes. I am happy with the decision. I think Sanchez will have a better sophomore season for having learned what he learned this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's unfair to lay it all on sanchez until sch@tty's role has been examined. moreover, they didn't get a really good receiver until edwards came on and it is simply unreasonable to think that sanchez would be comfortable with working with any of the receivers let alone edwards. they lost 3 games stupidly and in each game sanchez and the offense did enough to win the games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Captain Obvious who wrote this article fails to note is that Sanchez is Ryan's boy. He went to Cali with Woody and Tannenbaum to work Sanchez out and was 100% behind drafting him. The only way Sanchez doesn't get drafted, doesn't start from game one, and continue to play is if Ryan is not the head coach. If Ryan isn't the head coach then there's no new defensive schemes, no top ranked D, no Bart Scott, no Mike Pettine, etc. and so on.

Let's say though that Ryan is the coach and there's no Sanchez. Brett Favre still would not be here anyway since he chose to leave. The Jets were not going to give him his 2 shots against Green Bay that he was dying to take. So then Ryan gets Garcia (an option he had before the season started and still passed on) and makes him the starter. Can anyone seriously believe that Jeff Garcia would have put the Jets in the Super Bowl? Gimme a break. The Jets would have been the wild card at best and been out by the first round.
    Last edited by VivaSanchez; 12-16-2009 at 12:04 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a rookie QB. We tried to win with him, but there were going to be sacrifices from the beginning.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the Jets are a Trent Dilfer away from GOIN' TO THE SUPERBOWL!!

LOL

OP = WORST POSTER EVER

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember reading somewhere that Peyton Manning said that the best thing he ever did for his career was to play this first season and not hold the clip board. So I think Mark would probably say the same. I think having mark playing this year is what is best for this teams future. Maybe not the best for this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Run Jets Run View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that Peyton Manning said that the best thing he ever did for his career was to play this first season and not hold the clip board. So I think Mark would probably say the same. I think having mark playing this year is what is best for this teams future. Maybe not the best for this year.
    +1

But I don't think we'd be in too much of a different spot with a different QB.
    Sanchez was the way to go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if you can put all the blame on Sanchez. The defense didn't make a few key plays when they needed to that cost us some games. Did Sanchez cost us games? absolutely, in NE and in NO he was the reason we lost, as well as against Buffalo. But our other 3 losses were because of the defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    With Brett Favre (healthy) at QB, this team has minimum three more wins (probably 4) than now.
    I dont think anybody truly disagrees with that.
    Such is life. You make decisions and then you live with the outcome.
    How can one disagree, last year was great.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fact is Sanchez was the main reason for 3 of our 6 losses this year (NO, BUF, 2nd NE) and the D/ST were for the other 3.

We all knew Sanchez was going to have growing pains this season.