Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merril Hoge: Randy Moss did not take one play off.

Merril Hoge: Randy Moss did not take one play off.

A different view, and I know everyone will post it's ESPN, but Hoge is generally no Pats supporter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...l-hoge-on-moss

Quote:
    ESPN analyst Merril Hoge said convincingly today: ďThe first thing to put down is that Randy Moss did not take one play off. Not one play.Ē

Hoge went on to say that he felt Mossís effort in the Patriotsí 20-10 victory over the Panthers was ďone of his better games without the ball in his hands," as he delivered key blocks on receiver screens and in the running game.

ďIíve been watching Randy Moss since he first came into the league, and initially, when I first put in the tape, the first thing that struck me was that the Carolina Panthers were playing him similar to how the Chicago Bears did when he was in Minnesota,Ē Hoge said.

ďThey would ride up a corner and press him at the line of scrimmage and then play a safety to that side anywhere from 20-25 yards over the top, which is a pre-snap indicator that you can forget the long ball, donít even think about it. Give or take a little, I would say about 60 percent of the time, Tom Brady didnít work to his side because of that. You can start there, because the coverage dictated not to throw there.

ďThe interception that so many people are talking about, it looks like he didnít run a very good route. It wasnít spectacular. He could have come out of his break sharper. But when you start watching coaching tape, two things pop out over the bad route. First, you look at where the corner is playing. Heís already playing outside technique, sitting where the route is going. So you could argue that you donít want to make the throw because of how the corner is playing.

ďOn top of that, when you look at the end zone angle, Julius Peppers gets inside pressure right away and is getting his hands near the face of Brady when heís about to step into his throw. Brady pulls his left leg and wheels on the throw. When you wheel on that, the ball sails and you canít be accurate and decisive like that.

ďSo when you list things out in order, number one, itís a bad throw based on pressure. Number two, you look at the way the corner is playing and you can see why itís not the most decisive route. Iím not making excuses for him -- it was a bad route -- but when I look at the play the route is number three on the list.Ē

Discuss:

Jets Insider VIP
    Vinny, Merril Hoge has Post Concussion Syndrome.

He watched the game film and saw 3 plays where Moss ran hard and thought they were 30 plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Meh...

Cris Carter
    Well for one, you can not watch that [without] it [having] an effect on you. If you're a football enthusiast, if you're a Patriots fan, for me as someone who teaches wide receivers, how to be wide receivers and how to run routes and what type of effort and stuff it would take, it was pathetic. I was shocked because I know it's in him, but I thought he had matured to the point where I wasn't going to see it anymore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=4740924

"For me, I was very shocked," Rice said today during a guest spot on SportsCenter. "The thing about Randy Moss -- we know that he takes a few plays off, but just watching him during that game, he didn't have any effort at all. You want your best play maker to be playing his best around this time and it was unfortunate to see what he did yesterday."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-randy-moss/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

He watched the game film and saw 3 plays where Moss ran hard and thought they were 30 plays.

Merril Hoge thought Kellen Clemens was the best quarterback prospect of the 2006 draft.

End thread.

He's going to torch the bills this weekend.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Merril Hoge thought Kellen Clemens was the best quarterback prospect of the 2006 draft.

End thread.
    Fu*kin AWESOME!!!!!!

End thread.
    I'd say so. Good point.

Banned

End thread.
    Johnny Rico, you just earned a friend request for that post right there.

Check your PM, one is on it's way.

Randy Moss is the most physically gifted WR in the history of the NFL, and the 2nd greatest to ever lace them up....he played his college ball for the Marshall University Thundering Herd, you know !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUJ48rCJ38

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    Randy Moss is the most physically gifted WR in the history of the NFL, and the 2nd greatest to ever lace them up....he played his college ball for the Marshall University Thundering Herd, you know !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUJ48rCJ38
    Yeah we know. Because every other REAL D1 program wouldn't waste a scholarship on his attitude.

There are few pundits who hate on the Patriots with more consistency than Merrill Hoge. Doesn't mean he's right or has more credibility, but it's worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by S.I. Patsfan View Post
    There are few pundits who hate on the Patriots with more consistency than Merrill Hoge. Doesn't mean he's right or has more credibility, but it's worth noting.
    you must've missed Buzz's post which included the thoughts of Chris Carter and Jerry Rice on Randy Moss.

here it is again, just in case:

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Cris Carter
    Well for one, you can not watch that [without] it [having] an effect on you. If you're a football enthusiast, if you're a Patriots fan, for me as someone who teaches wide receivers, how to be wide receivers and how to run routes and what type of effort and stuff it would take, it was pathetic. I was shocked because I know it's in him, but I thought he had matured to the point where I wasn't going to see it anymore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=4740924

"For me, I was very shocked," Rice said today during a guest spot on SportsCenter. "The thing about Randy Moss -- we know that he takes a few plays off, but just watching him during that game, he didn't have any effort at all. You want your best play maker to be playing his best around this time and it was unfortunate to see what he did yesterday."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-randy-moss/

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie View Post
    A different view, and I know everyone will post it's ESPN, but Hoge is generally no Pats supporter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...l-hoge-on-moss

Quote:
    ESPN analyst Merril Hoge said convincingly today: ďThe first thing to put down is that Randy Moss did not take one play off. Not one play.Ē

Hoge went on to say that he felt Mossís effort in the Patriotsí 20-10 victory over the Panthers was ďone of his better games without the ball in his hands," as he delivered key blocks on receiver screens and in the running game.

ďIíve been watching Randy Moss since he first came into the league, and initially, when I first put in the tape, the first thing that struck me was that the Carolina Panthers were playing him similar to how the Chicago Bears did when he was in Minnesota,Ē Hoge said.

ďThey would ride up a corner and press him at the line of scrimmage and then play a safety to that side anywhere from 20-25 yards over the top, which is a pre-snap indicator that you can forget the long ball, donít even think about it. Give or take a little, I would say about 60 percent of the time, Tom Brady didnít work to his side because of that. You can start there, because the coverage dictated not to throw there.

ďThe interception that so many people are talking about, it looks like he didnít run a very good route. It wasnít spectacular. He could have come out of his break sharper. But when you start watching coaching tape, two things pop out over the bad route. First, you look at where the corner is playing. Heís already playing outside technique, sitting where the route is going. So you could argue that you donít want to make the throw because of how the corner is playing.

ďOn top of that, when you look at the end zone angle, Julius Peppers gets inside pressure right away and is getting his hands near the face of Brady when heís about to step into his throw. Brady pulls his left leg and wheels on the throw. When you wheel on that, the ball sails and you canít be accurate and decisive like that.

ďSo when you list things out in order, number one, itís a bad throw based on pressure. Number two, you look at the way the corner is playing and you can see why itís not the most decisive route. Iím not making excuses for him -- it was a bad route -- but when I look at the play the route is number three on the list.Ē

Discuss:
    Welcome to ESPN......

at ESPN the number one rule of thumb (besides saying ridiculous things) is to be friends with the athletes at all costs. Enable them when there is a controversy. Make excuses where there may not appear to be any. And even resort to saying hip phrases to seem like one of the guys (for the last one Professor Stuart Scott will teach you).

Here are the ESPN rules for today:

Every player is GREAT or can be GREAT or is on their way to being GREAT.

Every person WANTS to be Brett Favre and wants to know what he eats for breakfast too.

I'm hungry

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post

Can I be your friend? It's the holiday season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Don't be silly. This was a Pats game! Tape only existed for three plays and so it must be true that only three plays actually ever existed. By the way this tape was subsequenty destroyed as a means to prerserve the truth about the whole episode.

Hall Of Fame

Seriously you are extending the definitional boundaries of lame here.

What do you think the "P" in "PM" stands for?