Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some dude is trying to scam me

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Some dude is trying to scam me

I’m currently trying to sell my motorcycle, so I put a few ads on the internet, and immediately got contacted via email by a potential buyer.

I was suspicious from the start since he asked ZERO questions. You usually go through the basic BS: when was the last check up, what kind of shape are the tires in…etc. Then see it, try it..Nothing. He just accepted my price and says a Certified Check will be sent to me. :rolleyes:

Plus he’s trying to make me believe he’s British. I don’t think he’s British since my English is better than his. While that’s nothing to be suspicious about, my bike is hardly a collector’s item, he’d have no problems finding one closer to him. So I don’t understand why he’d go through the hassle of purchasing mine and having to ship it.

So, I told a BS story that for French Administration I needed a copy of his passport….this is what he sent.:P

Guys here do better job photoshopping..I LOL'd so hard I had to share it.

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/raoulduke03031973/dennis.jpg?t=1261056875[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3406550]I’m currently trying to sell my motorcycle, so I put a few ads on the internet, and immediately got contacted via email by a potential buyer.

I was suspicious from the start since he asked ZERO questions. You usually go through the basic BS: when was the last check up, what kind of shape are the tires in…etc. Then see it, try it..Nothing. He just accepted my price and says a Certified Check will be sent to me. :rolleyes:

Plus he’s trying to make me believe he’s British. I don’t think he’s British since my English is better than his. While that’s nothing to be suspicious about, my bike is hardly a collector’s item, he’d have no problems finding one closer to him. So I don’t understand why he’d go through the hassle of purchasing mine and having to ship it.

So, I told a BS story that for French Administration I needed a copy of his passport….this is what he sent.:P

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/raoulduke03031973/dennis.jpg?t=1261056875[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You are being scammed, pretty common. Key is to put "Cash only local delivery only"

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    The past month, I have been contacted by several individuals who all have had listings on Craigslist. Someone has an old bank account number for our company (it was closed several years ago due to check fraud), printed up some fake checks and has been sending them to the craigslist sellers. The thief cuts the check for alot more than what the item is for sale for and tells the seller that an error occurred but to go ahead, cash the check and keep an extra $100 for their trouble and send the balance back to them. And they'll have someone pick up the item later (yeah right). Since the account is closed it hasn't been working anyway, but it just shows how many crooks and slimeballs are out there this time of year.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3406565]You are being scammed, pretty common. Key is to put "Cash only local delivery only"[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

I've sold two items on Craigslist and advertised "cash only" and haven't had a problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    send him back an infected file attached in an email. I usually keep one or two in my quarantine for things like this. LOL at the photo cutting off the word passeport.:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3406569]The past month, I have been contacted by several individuals who all have had listings on Craigslist. Someone has an old bank account number for our company (it was closed several years ago due to check fraud), printed up some fake checks and has been sending them to the craigslist sellers. The thief cuts the check for alot more than what the item is for sale for and tells the seller that an error occurred but to go ahead, cash the check and keep an extra $100 for their trouble and send the balance back to them. And they'll have someone pick up the item later (yeah right). Since the account is closed it hasn't been working anyway, but it just shows how many crooks and slimeballs are out there this time of year.[/QUOTE]

That sounds almost exactly what the dude was offering. Said to tack on an extra 100€ to make sure I wouldn't sell it to anyone else. taht he'd send a sort of 'forwarding agent' who would come and pick up the bike for him and ship it.

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3406573]send him back an infected file attached in an email. I usually keep one or two in my quarantine for things like this. LOL at the photo cutting off the word passeport.:D[/QUOTE]

:P The thought crossed my mind, but I'd probably infect my own computer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3406571]+1 :yes:

I've sold two items on Craigslist and advertised "cash only" and haven't had a problem.[/QUOTE]

Craigslist is full of those scammers, I've bought and sold bass rigs there and if I left out the cash only or local delivery, I'd get 20 emails from these jerkoffs.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3406550]I’m currently trying to sell my motorcycle, so I put a few ads on the internet, and immediately got contacted via email by a potential buyer.

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/raoulduke03031973/dennis.jpg?t=1261056875[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL... nice passport

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else notice he has his surname and first name in the wrong place? Unless his name is Wise Dennis, I guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;3406691]Anyone else notice he has his surname and first name in the wrong place? Unless his name is Wise Dennis, I guess.[/QUOTE]
    I missed that.

:rofl:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a job for Mr Beans :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raoul I've been staring at your sig all morning

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    RMAO!

Good one Frenchy! :D

I love how they always say in their emails that they will pay you above what you're asking... :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;3406691]Anyone else notice he has his surname and first name in the wrong place? Unless his name is Wise Dennis, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Lol that's a good find.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the Grateful Dead issued that thing...

Good call on the first name/surname LOL.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Classic.:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Id probably report this. Dude is messing with passports and scammin. He will get a shmuck eventually.

save the "snitches end up in ditches"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the photoshop and name switch. Good catches.

The font for his name at the top and at the bottom is different than the font used for the rest of the passport. What a moron!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I received his Certified check yesterday. He probably sent it before I told him to f*ck off:

- Senders adress: Vallejo, California
    - Postmarked: Chicago, Il
    - Bank: National bank of Scotland in London
    - 9000 € instead of 3800 €

:D

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3416432]So I received his Certified check yesterday. He probably sent it before I told him to f*ck off:

- Senders adress: Vallejo, California
    - Postmarked: Chicago, Il
    - Bank: National bank of Scotland in London
    - 9000 € instead of 3800 €

:D[/QUOTE]

I guess it's up to you, if you want to be an accessory. :eek: