Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth-like Waterworld Planet found 40 Light Years Away

Earth-like Waterworld Planet found 40 Light Years Away

[QUOTE]Water World discovered by Harvard astronomers

[url]http://www.tgdaily.com/space-features/45111-water-world-discovered-by-harvard-astronomers[/url]

By our space correspondent
    Thursday, 17 December 2009 10:23

The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics said it has discovered a so-called super Earth that orbits round a red dwarf star 40 light years from our own planet.

A super Earth is a planet between one and 10 times the mass of our planet, and has been dubbed GJ1214b. The radius of the planet is about 2.7 times that of earth and its density suggests it's made of three quarter water and other ices and one quarter rock.

The astronomers said that there are "tantalizing hints" that the planet has a gaseous atmosphere.

Zachory Berta, a graduate at the Center first spotted a hint of the planet amongst the data accumulated. "Despite its hot temperature, this appears to be a waterworld. It is much smaller, cooler, and more Earthlike than any other known exoplanet."

Berta said some of the water on the planet will be as Ice VII, a crystalline form of water at pressures more than 20,000 times our own planet's sea level atmosphere.

The astronomers located the planet using an array of eight identical 16-inch diameter RC Optical Systems telescopes - each funnels light to an Apogee Alta U42 camera with a charge coupled device chip.

David Charbonneau, who runs the telescope array, said that anyone else with a similar telescope and a good CCD camera could detect it too.[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool, a waterworld planet. I wonder if alien Kevin Kostner is peering through a telescope right now from 40 light years away and looking at us posting on JI.

[IMG]http://sjove-film.dk/movie/large/Waterworld-3259190304895-01.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh my God!!

Words can't describe how terrible that movie was. It was like someone literally smeared sh*t all over a blank disc and popped it into my DVD player.

Horrible!!

Board Moderator
    Thanks for the space news, SBIII.

:eek:

Errr. I mean Paulie...

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    thats either really good news or really bad news considering we have no way of getting there in any timely fashion....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[IMG]http://www.verumserum.com/media/2009/06/1995-Jeanne-Tripplehorn.jpg[/IMG]

[I]I wonder if they look like this?[/I]

All League
    No matter how bad Waterworld is or was, I consider it the bad movie I like watching. So there.

Odd how all these discoveries keep happening as 2012 looms in the near distance.

Two Worst Movies that Could Have Been Great:

1. Waterworld
    2. The Postman

So Much potential, so much fail.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=pauliec;3406765] [I]The astronomers located the planet using an array of eight identical 16-inch diameter RC Optical Systems telescopes - each funnels light to an Apogee Alta U42 camera with a charge coupled device chip.

David Charbonneau, who runs the telescope array, said that anyone else with a similar telescope and a good CCD camera could detect it too. [/I]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, sure. :rolleyes:

Isnt that like a Nasa spokesman saying anyone with a Saturn V rocket, spacesuits and a lunar module could go to the moon too?

Who has eight identical 16-inch diameter RC Optical Systems telescopes - with each funneling light to an Apogee Alta U42 camera with a charge coupled device chip, lying around?

wierdos, thats who.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I thought I read somewhere that the water was like 400 degrees? Wouldnt it vaporize.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3406954]Two Worst Movies that Could Have Been Great:

1. Waterworld
    2. The Postman

So Much potential, so much fail.[/QUOTE]

The Postman was a really good book. Then they made the movie, and it was like they never read the book.

Pisses me off when they do that. Same thing with The Running Man. Great short story, movie had nothing to do with the book.

[QUOTE=32green;3406966]Oh, sure. :rolleyes:

Isnt that like a Nasa spokesman saying anyone with a Saturn V rocket, spacesuits and a lunar module could go to the moon too?

Who has eight identical 16-inch diameter RC Optical Systems telescopes - with each funneling light to an Apogee Alta U42 camera with a charge coupled device chip, lying around?

wierdos, thats who.[/QUOTE]

um...

me...

:O

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3406979]um...

me...

:O[/QUOTE]

Except you, of course, and there's prolly a real good reason, you know, and not just any dumbass can operate this system.

:D

What kind of sharks they got? Anyone know yet?

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3406989]What kind of sharks they got? Anyone know yet?[/QUOTE]

we dont even know half the species of ocean life we have here....lol

All Pro
    [QUOTE=32green;3406966]Oh, sure. :rolleyes:

wierdos, thats who.[/QUOTE]

I have seven. THAT'S WHY I MISSED IT! :D

All League
    ship me there with the entire Victoria's secret model population and I promise... PROMISE i will pro-create!

My children will look awesome!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3406972]I thought I read somewhere that the water was like 400 degrees? Wouldnt it vaporize.[/QUOTE]

Water has a higher boiling point under higher atmospheric pressure....The article said that although the planet was roughly the same size as Earth...it has much more mass...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    This news is 40 years old. Geez. :rolleyes:

:D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=chirorob;3406975]The Postman was a really good book. Then they made the movie, and it was like they never read the book.

Pisses me off when they do that. Same thing with The Running Man. Great short story, movie had nothing to do with the book.[/QUOTE]

I liked the running man movie!