Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian Places in NYC

Italian Places in NYC

Alright, let's hear some recommendations for your favorite Italian places in the city. GF lives in MA, and will be coming down for a couple of days around New Year's time. Meeting her in the city for the day and then back to my house to meet the parents. I'd like to keep the bill around $50-$75... luckily flair doesn't matter too much to her and the Christmas gift accompanying dinner will take care of that. Let's try to keep it in Midtown as we'll do the tree, Times Square, and all of the other tourist traps as she's only been to the city once.

Thanks in advance, fellow hAmpurites.

John's on 12th -- I think this is cheaper.
    Il Vagabondo (indoor bacci) -- this is like $50 a person

WELCOME TO NYC

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Is your mother Italian?...she would cook best...if not I'm sorry. $50-75, Rays Pizza?

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3408780]Is your mother Italian?...she would cook best...if not I'm sorry. $50-75, Rays Pizza?[/QUOTE]
    Italian, yes. One night in NYC, Mom will cook the other night.

$75 for two, not including drinks-- I know I can do more than Ray's Pizza, thanks though.

JFB, just looked at the menu for John's- that's what I'm looking for, thanks.

I should also mention I'm looking for a casual place, as we'll likely both be in jeans and walking all day.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JFB;3408779]John's on 12th -- I think this is cheaper.
    [B]Il Vagabondo[/B] (indoor bacci) -- this is like $50 a person

WELCOME TO NYC[/QUOTE]

+1 - veal parmesan is huge and awesome

pine tavern on bronxdale ave and anything on arthur ave...really any italian jont in astoria or brooklyn or the outer boros is better than anything they have up in mass.

You can wear jeans to EVERY place in Manhattan -- as long as they don't have holes in them. Cargo pants (does anyone besides hikers and tailgaters still wear these) are not allowed.

Also, the more touristy the location, the more expensive the restaurant. Midtown, rockefeller center are gonna cost you --- ONLY TOURIST EAT IN TIMES SQUARE -- WORST FOOD, HIGHEST PRICES

I just remembered -- John's on 12 might be CASH ONLY.
    Double check if you chose it.

Hall Of Fame
    I still like Po, West Village. even though Mario Batali sold it, still great.

Loved Fiamma, but it closed.

Roberto's in the Bronx, but that's out of your way.

[QUOTE=JStokes;3408798]I still like Po, West Village. even though Mario Batali sold it, still great.

Loved Fiamma, but it closed.

[B]Louie's in the Bronx, but that's out of your way[/B].[/QUOTE]

Isn't that where Michael Corleone shot the cop?

I like Gradisca, on 13th street. I took a date there once and we saw the cast of Gossip Girl eating at one big table. She flipped. I was like, Who?

I know it moved from the Upper East Side, but is Paola's still good?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3408785]Italian, yes. One night in NYC, Mom will cook the other night.

$75 for two, not including drinks-- I know I can do more than Ray's Pizza, thanks though.

JFB, just looked at the menu for John's- that's what I'm looking for, thanks.

I should also mention I'm looking for a casual place, as we'll likely both be in jeans and walking all day.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't mean to be an ass...

If you want to make it date-y, though, obviously you want to take her to Rock Center to see the Christmas tree, right? Check out yelp.com and look for highly recommended restaurants in that area.

I ate at a delicious Italian place within 2 blocks of the NY Hilton with my gf a few weeks ago, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. The food was excellent.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3408804]Isn't that where Michael Corleone shot the cop?[/QUOTE]

Chief of police, and The Turk...tu padre pienza antique

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3408804]Isn't that where Michael Corleone shot the cop?[/QUOTE]

Was that where it was filmed? Roberto's?

remember -- the more touristy the area, the more money and usually lower the quality (bc they're serving a lot of people daily)

All League
    Go to Bello on 863 Ninth Avenue. Been there three times now, excellent food, and not too expensive.

[url]http://bellorestaurant.com/index.htm[/url]

[QUOTE=JFB;3408833]remember -- the more touristy the area, the more money and usually lower the quality (bc they're serving a lot of people daily)[/QUOTE]

Of course. I'm not terribly picky and she sure isn't- just want a decent meal while we're there to enhance the experience. The whole day isn't going to be centered around this at all. I know I can find thousands of places on Google, but I rely on JI for the diamonds in the rough. John's menu looked good (and it is cash only), just a little out of the way. Will definitely keep it in mind though.