Thread: Stand Alone Blu-Ray Player or Sound System

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Stand Alone Blu-Ray Player or Sound System

Looking to buy one or the other for the folks for Christmas. What are your recommendations? They are just about to take the plunge and get a Samsung LCD TV, so I figured a Blu-Ray player would be a nice add on, but a nice surround sound system would work as well.

Blu-ray player limit is $200 or so and doesn't need all the bells and whistles.
    Sound system limit I am not sure b/c I am not familair with how much they run...Just looking for something good, not Bose level b/c I know that is pricey, but solid.

Looking for personal testimonials :)

Thanks,
    R

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=Froogle&sku=SAMHTZ520T[/url]

i have this in my appt. at school.

soooooo many noise violations. its awesome.

the ipod dock is clutch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1488/photoon20091219at1715.jpg[/img]

got the 50 in samsung hd

and u can see over it is the surround sound.

and the inglorious bastards poster jacked from the movies.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;3409582]

got the 50 in samsung hd

and u can see over it is the surround sound.

and the inglorious bastards poster jacked from the movies.[/QUOTE]

lol nice...thx for the info...the sound system looks great, just a little but out of my price range though...looking for something a little cheaper...don't really need the iPod capabilities or DVD player

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WayneChrebet;3409559]Looking to buy one or the other for the folks for Christmas. What are your recommendations? They are just about to take the plunge and get a Samsung LCD TV, so I figured a Blu-Ray player would be a nice add on, but a nice surround sound system would work as well.

Sound system limit I am not sure b/c I am not familair with how much they run...Just looking for something good, not Bose level b/c I know that is pricey, but solid.

Thanks,
    R[/QUOTE]

I got a Panasonic Blu ray player at PC Richard for $100. You can also do much better than Bose for a lot less money. Give me an idea and I'll come up with something for you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;3409603]I got a Panasonic Blu ray player at PC Richard for $100. You can also do much better than Bose for a lot less money. Give me an idea and I'll come up with something for you.[/QUOTE]

Well I'd love to do both a blu-ray and a sound system depending on cost...

For both I just need for a basic living room setup.

Nothing insanely loud or obnoxious, but just a solid supplement to an LCD tv (yet to be bought, TV will be a 46" most likely.) and need something not a piece of crap, but not top of the line...Just solid for watching movies sometimes and watching sports, normal tv shows, etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WayneChrebet;3409617]Well I'd love to do both a blu-ray and a sound system depending on cost...

For both I just need for a basic living room setup.

Nothing insanely loud or obnoxious, but just a solid supplement to an LCD tv (yet to be bought, TV will be a 46" most likely.) and need something not a piece of crap, but not top of the line...Just solid for watching movies sometimes and watching sports, normal tv shows, etc.[/QUOTE]

Well it helps to have a budget in mind, that said, I'd also recommend in most cases a Panasonic plasma over an lcd.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;3409619]Well it helps to have a budget in mind, that said, I'd also recommend in most cases a Panasonic plasma over an lcd.[/QUOTE]

Folks are pretty set on a 46" samsung lcd...not sure of the specific model...

As for budget...blu-ray alone, $200 is the max. I will go.

For an entire home theater system, I was hoping to stay around $300, but if it includes a blu-ray, maybe willing to go a bit higher.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WayneChrebet;3409627]Folks are pretty set on a 46" samsung lcd...not sure of the specific model...

As for budget...blu-ray alone, $200 is the max. I will go.

For an entire home theater system, I was hoping to stay around $300, but if it includes a blu-ray, maybe willing to go a bit higher.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775139000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=View+All[/url]
    This set is $869 - 20% cashback thru bing.com and it will have a better picture than the LCD set.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ thats the tv i have in the picture.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WayneChrebet;3409559]Looking to buy one or the other for the folks for Christmas. What are your recommendations? They are just about to take the plunge and get a Samsung LCD TV, so I figured a Blu-Ray player would be a nice add on, but a nice surround sound system would work as well.

Thanks,
    R[/QUOTE]

I'm heavily into home theater gear and I've found that in my experience, the Onkyo home theaters in a box (HTiB) have the best value. They are actual Onkyo receivers that can also be purchased separately and not throwaway HTiB receivers that have proprietary connections that you can't upgrade from (like Sony and some other manufacturers out there). The ones they have out now are even 7.1 systems with all HDMI connections and have the new high res surround sound codecs like Dolby TrueDH and DTS MA-HD.

As for a Blu-ray player, I've only gone with PS3's, got 2 of them and they are fantastic. Presumably, your parents won't be playing games so be sure to pick up the remote as well. ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best, cheapest and ease of set up will be a stand alone Blu ray or ps3. Home theater in a box or other theater systems will give you some challenges running wires. You could get a blue ray and a sound bar that goes under the tv which will give you a virtual surruond or a 3-2-1 speaker system which is simple because you arew only running wires to the center, left and right channels.
    For the folks I recommend a blue ray and a sound bar for ease of use and funtionality.

$500 bucks would do it.
    Check my profile pics, I have dual surround and 4 screens. If you have any set up questions feel free to contact me, I used to be in the custom home theater business.
    Last edited by jetsnrangers; 12-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.