Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone get there Ph.D? I am considering higher education...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone get there Ph.D? I am considering higher education...

I am about to be a senior at RU and am interested in grad school, and possibly even doctorate school for Criminology. Wondering if anyone has any opinions or stories about their road through grad school and to doctorate school, and if its worth it. thanks a lot guys, i know real true life stories are better then what my advisers might tell me

p.s. i think i might wanna be a professor, or do some sort of research in life, write books, etc, im just a hard worker who likes to learn about the subject.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your questions I can see you never read any of the posts on this site :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=51 VILMA 51;3414024]I am about to be a senior at RU and am interested in grad school, and possibly even doctorate school for Criminology. Wondering if anyone has any opinions or stories about their road through grad school and to doctorate school, and if its worth it. thanks a lot guys, i know real true life stories are better then what my advisers might tell me

p.s. i think i might wanna be a professor, or do some sort of research in life, write books, etc, im just a hard worker who likes to learn about the subject.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vilma

The value of the Ph.D. depends upon the field. In my field (physics), a Ph.D. is like a union card, no professorship without one. In that case, going to grad school is the only choice.

For my wife, its a bit different. Her Ph.D. is in neuroscience, following which she did two post-docs in molecular biology (Yale and Stony Brook), mentored three Intel Science competition students (two semi-finalists, one finalist), and then decided to go into High School teaching. You might think that this background would put her in demand. For 6 months, she could hardly get an interview. This is because the Ph.D. draws a higher pay scale, which was considered good for her and bad for the school budget. In her case, the Ph.D. is a mixed blessing, more $$$ once you get a job, but many many fewer offers.

I have no idea of the value of the degree in criminology.

GG

PS--The value of advice depends upon which Prof you ask! If the Prof asks you what YOU want in life, listen to their advice carefully. If they give every student the same answer, seek out a second opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=51 VILMA 51;3414024]I am about to be a senior at RU and am interested in grad school, and possibly even doctorate school for Criminology. Wondering if anyone has any opinions or stories about their road through grad school and to doctorate school, and if its worth it. thanks a lot guys, i know real true life stories are better then what my advisers might tell me

p.s. i think i might wanna be a professor, or do some sort of research in life, write books, etc, im just a hard worker who likes to learn about the subject.[/QUOTE]

I'm in grad school for history--just got my M.A., starting work on my dissertation now. I like it a lot, but it's tough...unless you're in the sciences, you make almost no money for TAing/RAing/whatever you do. But if you love the subject, it's well worth it--especially if you want to be a professor. PM me if you want more info.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting a phd in a social science field is a big commitment. I would strongly suggest pursuing your MA, and then establishing relationships with professors who, if you think it is right for you, can recommend you to a phd program.

I don't know too much about criminology, but it seems to me like a field where relevant real-world work experience matters as much as a degree. You might want to spend some time working in the field before you jump into a phd program.

Also, its "their" and not "there."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my masters in Criminology from RU. If you want to teach the subject, a masters is really all you need, although a PhD definitely commands a higher pay scale.

If you simply want to do research, I'd probably stick with just a Masters, I don't think a PhD will help you much in terms of pay grade in the research field. Real world experience is better than a PhD for this.

I found earning my masters was a very rewarding experience. I'm about to earn my JD from RU next semester, but getting the masters was much easier/more interesting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have my masters in how to be miserable and feel like **** on monday...its actually pretty easy all you have to do is watch the jets on sunday

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to brush up those grammer skills before you apply, specifically the difference in 'there' vs. 'their' vs. 'they're'. No joke. A mistake like that on an application will generally not be overlooked.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just started work on my MA in history. I want to get my Ph.D. and become a proffessor one day. The problem is History is an oversaturated field, too many historians and not enough positions. Hopefully I will land a job somewhere! It really all depends on what your future goals are

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414147]You may want to brush up those [B][U]grammer [/U][/B]skills before you apply, specifically the difference in 'there' vs. 'their' vs. 'they're'. No joke. A mistake like that on an application will generally not be overlooked.[/QUOTE]

Psssst Vinny, it's "grammar". ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414147]You may want to brush up those grammer skills before you apply, specifically the difference in 'there' vs. 'their' vs. 'they're'. No joke. A mistake like that on an application will generally not be overlooked.[/QUOTE]

grammer?

Is that the chick that lives with Grandpaw?

:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414147]You may want to brush up those grammer skills before you apply[/QUOTE]

LOL

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3414153]grammer?

Is that the chick that lives with Grandpaw?

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LOL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3414151]Psssst Vinny, it's "grammar". ;)[/QUOTE]

lmao...oK, so my grammar is okay, just my spellin that's krummie.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not read anyone elses responses to this, so I don't know if I'm being repetitive or not. But, here is my advice:

Do it.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

If you have found something that you are interested in. DO IT!

I made a huge mistake in life. I did what other people told me to do.

It wasn't disasterous. I'm 42, I have stuff, I have cash. A lot of both.

But, it's like people have said all along - money doesn't buy happiness.

Do what you love. Pursue it with reckless abandon.

Do what you love and you'll love what you do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3414189]I have not read anyone elses responses to this, so I don't know if I'm being repetitive or not. But, here is my advice:

Do it.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

If you have found something that you are interested in. DO IT!

I made a huge mistake in life. I did what other people told me to do.

It wasn't disasterous. I'm 42, I have stuff, I have cash. A lot of both.

But, it's like people have said all along - money doesn't buy happiness.

Do what you love. Pursue it with reckless abandon.

Do what you love and you'll love what you do.[/QUOTE]

Good advice Vick.

To OP, I was VERY close to entering a Phd program in accounting. I taught at a major university in my early 30's and without a Phd you are NO WHERE in academics and many other fields.

After a year of deliberation etc.. I chose against teaching and started in a different direction. The DEAN of the school told me if I were his son, he would talk me out of it, the politics in education are over whelming. YOU may go into federal law enforcement etc.... who knows.

A Phd IMO is NO substitute for determination and goal setting. While I was at this University, I saw MANY young Phd 'ers come and go, not get tenure, move from university to university, try to get research published etc... it can be a tough life that looks GREAT from the outside.

Be certain this is what you want because if you are 1/2 way thru or more and don't finish, you will be broke, older and trying to explain to employers why you didn't finish.

Best of Luck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to either Harvard, Colombia or Princeton to finish my Ph.D. I've been approved by the selections boards and I have to issue a deicison by next March.

I had sworn that I'd get my Ph.D after I got my Masters degrees (yes, more than one) during my time the DoD, but the career got in the way. I promised Mrs. Equilibrium that I would leave after the change in Presidential Adminsitrations, but was asked to stay by certain people who were retained by the new one. I agreed to do so for a year.

Now that I am leaving DoD and as I promised Mrs. Equilibrium, we would move to NYC so she could develop her career in the Advertising industry, I'm happy that we finally continue our lives as we planned.

In political science, a Ph.D is the holy grail. It gives the holder instant credibility, deference and often immediate tenure in some academic institutions. I can't count how often my analyses were deemed superior to others, yet was forced to sit by as a Ph.D residing in the world of theory inherent in the ivory tower and no practical experience had automatic preference.

I agree with Roger Vick, follow your desires and you will never have to work another day in your life.

I guess this leads me to a question. Besides the issue of finding a location to live in NYC, how far is it to Princeton or Harvard and can they be reached by train?
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 12-21-2009 at 06:35 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;3414383]I'm going to either Harvard, Colombia or Princeton to finish my Ph.D. I've been approved by the selections boards and I have to issue a deicison by next March.

I had sworn that I'd get my Ph.D after I got my Masters degrees (yes, more than one) during my time the DoD, but the career got in the way. I promised Mrs. Equilibrium that I would leave after the change in Presidential Adminsitrations, but was asked to stay by certain people who were retained by the new one. I agreed to do so for a year.

Now that I am leaving DoD and as I promised Mrs. Equilibrium, we would move to NYC so she could develop her career in the Advertising industry, I'm happy that we finally continue our lives as we planned.

In political science, a Ph.D is the holy grail. It gives the holder instant credibility, deference and often immediate tenure in some academic institutions. I can't count how often my analyses were deemed superior to others, yet was forced to sit by as a Ph.D residing in the world of theory inherent in the ivory tower and no practical experience had automatic preference.

I agree with Roger Vick, follow your desires and you will never have to work another day in your life.

I guess this leads me to a question. Besides the issue of finding a location to live in NYC, how far is it to Princeton or Harvard and can they be reached by train?[/QUOTE]

Really?

You are going to either Harvard, Colombia or Princeton to get a PhD and you are asking a New York Jets message board how far Princeton and Harvard are from NYC and "can they be reached by train"?

And you mocked the "ivory tower" ph.D for "residing in his world of theory" as opposed to your concrete, pragmatic problem solving skills...

Harvard is in Cambridge, Mass. Princeton is in... Princeton, New Jersey.

It's called Google, son.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    My masters was easier then my undergrad. Just a lot of work not hard just lots of it. Not going for PH d as of now just too much money and not enough return potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    my two cents. the whole education thing is highly overrated. you can get the doctorate but unless you can get a position that actually handles money, you will never earn enough to offset your education costs. there's a reason why lawyers and mba's can make fantastic incomes. in this economy and the way this government is going, you would be better off learning a trade like plumber or electrician because these can be very nice cash businesses and cash is much easier to hide than a pay check.