Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rex too loose of a cannon to be a great head coach?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Rex too loose of a cannon to be a great head coach?

Rex came into town as the perfect replacement for Mangini. He picked fights(Crowder of the dolphins),he said everything that we wanted to hear. We were going to be the toughest team in the league, watch out, and we are going to tell you about it as well. The man has produced a outstanding defense, one that Mangini could have never turned out. He is outstanding on the defensive side of the field, however,as a head coach in New York I wonder.... Can this man manage a whole team?The Jets had 8 pro Bowlers from last year,and they traded for another former young one and added one in Free agency,plus we ended up with the 5th overall pick in the draft. Seems like the rich were getting richer....Yet we have a team that is undisaplinded,seems to lack conditioning(Why else would a stellar defense continue to cave at crunch time?),and overall seems lost... Rex said that he would have a stronger influence on his rookie qb 3/4s of the way through the season. Sanchez has not really responded.
    Rex crying, Rex stating we were done when most of the team was smart enough to know that they were still alive. I wish Rex was our defensive coach and not our Head coach...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope your computer explodes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    #1 Defense.

Yeah. He'll be fine...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is a very fat man.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No

Rex is and will continue to be a terrific head coach

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Football is an emotional sport and Rex has had his mistakes this year but look at what he has done in a year as a first time head coach in the NFL. The media seems to like him and he says what is on his mind. After the loss yesterday we all thought the Jets were done though not mathematically and he was just speaking his mind. Lets look at the positives:

1. He has a rookie qb with 20 ints and is 7 and 7.
    2. Statistically he has the number 1 defense. He inheritated a good defense and brought two of his guys with him. We add some depth and some more of his guys next year (espicially a pass rusher) and this d will be that much better next year.
    3. We get Leon back, a full offseason with Sanchez and the receivers and a full offseason with Braylan.

With the way we started we were made believers. Give this team a full offseason add a few pieces and I believe under Ryan we will be much like the Eagles. A team that plays hard and plays well and is in contention for the playoffs and a Super Bowl year in and year out. It takes time to get there and this is year one. Next year we should expect playoffs and then year 3 is when we should make our run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    we had an incoherent preacher who needed to hire a clock manager coach for 5 years and then we had a tightassed gum chewing robot for 3

I am very strongly in favor of the head coach currently on our sidelines

thank you

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dash with a past;3414658]Rex came into town as the perfect replacement for Mangini. He picked fights(Crowder of the dolphins),he said everything that we wanted to hear. We were going to be the toughest team in the league, watch out, and we are going to tell you about it as well. The man has produced a outstanding defense, one that Mangini could have never turned out. He is outstanding on the defensive side of the field, however,as a head coach in New York I wonder.... Can this man manage a whole team?The Jets had 8 pro Bowlers from last year,and they traded for another former young one and added one in Free agency,plus we ended up with the 5th overall pick in the draft. Seems like the rich were getting richer....Yet we have a team that is undisaplinded,seems to lack conditioning(Why else would a stellar defense continue to cave at crunch time?),and overall seems lost... Rex said that he would have a stronger influence on his rookie qb 3/4s of the way through the season. Sanchez has not really responded.
    Rex crying, Rex stating we were done when most of the team was smart enough to know that they were still alive. I wish Rex was our defensive coach and not our Head coach...[/QUOTE]

I brought up the fact that, until now, no one has posted this questioning of Rex's capabilities as a head coach. The reaction your post is receiving is as expected with most fans buying into the tough every-guy persona that Rex portrays. My opinion, which everyone here will tell you is worth dog chit, is that Rex has a way to go to be called a good HC. Not to say he's not, but he's done nothing yet to exhibit otherwise.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414796]I brought up the fact that, until now, no one has posted this questioning of Rex's capabilities as a head coach. The reaction your post is receiving is as expected with most fans buying into the tough every-guy persona that Rex portrays. My opinion, which everyone here will tell you is worth dog chit, is that Rex has a way to go to be called a good HC. Not to say he's not, but he's done nothing yet to exhibit otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Totally dissimilar to Belichick, who was mediocre with the Browns and a disaster his first season with the Pats, until Mo Lewis gave Belichick the "capacbilities".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414796]I brought up the fact that, until now, no one has posted this questioning of Rex's capabilities as a head coach. The reaction your post is receiving is as expected with most fans buying into the tough every-guy persona that Rex portrays. My opinion, which everyone here will tell you is worth dog chit, is that Rex has a way to go to be called a good HC. Not to say he's not, but he's done nothing yet to exhibit otherwise.[/QUOTE]

You are a clown.

Rex has made mistakes, most rookie head coaches do, but to ignore the body of work he has done, the intensity, passion and genuine emotion he brings to the game and his job, and the results in terms of some key stats, his defense, and the job he's done with installing a smash-mouth offensive attack, to ignore this is moronic.

We all knew it would be a transition year with a rookie QB, we knew there would be growing pains, that is what we're going through. But the kid has it, he'll be a good one, it's as clear as day, his mistakes are corrected with experience.

He is a modern day Parcells with a mix of his father, and I think Cowher. Rex is a hard ass jaw jocking no-nonsense coach, but he's a big emotional puppy too. He knows how to push buttons, he'll bench prim a-donas without hesitation, he will throw himself in front of a bus before any player or coach on his own team, he is a model leader for the modern NFL game.

His players LOVE playing for him, and they will go through a brick wall for him. There is no question this Jets team is buying everything Ryan is selling, not one!

He'll learn the finer details of what it takes to be a successful head coach, he's got all the makings to be a very good one.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 12-21-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was pretty SOJ lol worthy when he announced that we weren't going to the playoffs.

But we'll be fine if we retool the defense correctly.

I think he might be too emotional for this town, but f*ck me time will tell.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-21-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry Vinny but your manlove Belish1t was a total failure as a head coach for 8 seasons or so until he discovered Matt Estrella, illegal tapes and cheating and became a "genius"

since wireless, strangely he hasn't won anything again just like in his pre video days

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3414813]You are a clown.

Rex has made mistakes, most rookie head coaches do, but to ignore the body of work he has done, the intensity, passion and genuine emotion he brings to the game and his job, and the results in terms of some key stats, his defense, and the job he's done with installing a smash-mouth offensive attack, to ignore this is moronic.

We all knew it would be a transition year with a rookie QB, we knew there would be growing pains, that is what we're going through. But the kid has it, he'll be a good one, it's as clear as day, his mistakes are corrected with experience.

He is a modern day Parcells with a mix of his father, and I think Cowher. Rex is a hard ass jaw jocking no-nonsense coach, but he's a big emotional puppy too. He knows how to push buttons, he'll bench prim a-donas without hesitation, he will throw himself in front of a bus before any player or coach on his own team, he is a model leader for the modern NFL game.

His players LOVE playing for him, and they go through a brick wall for him.

He'll learn the finer details of what it takes to be a successful head coach, he's got all the makings to be a very good one.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring the personal attack, my point was not that I think he won't, or can't be a good HC. The mere fact that you call him a modern day Parcells, when all he's done is guide a talent laden team to a 7-7 record, shows you have zero objectivity. His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him. But if i were a fan I'd wonder a bit about his focus on the D at the expense of the O, his clock management, use or non-use of challenges, attention to detail (Sorry guys, we're outta the playoffs?) and most importantly, the development of the Franchise.
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 12-21-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3414824]sorry Vinny but your manlove Belish1t was a total failure as a head coach for 8 seasons or so until he discovered Matt Estrella, illegal tapes and cheating and became a "genius"

since wireless, strangely he hasn't won anything again just like in his pre video days[/QUOTE]

Ummm...can I leave a message after the beep?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414850]Ummm...can I leave a message after the beep?[/QUOTE]

no

but you can GFY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414844]Ignoring the personal attack, my point was not that I think he won't, or can't be a good HC. The mere fact that you call him a modern day Parcells, when all he's done is guide a talent laden team to a 7-7 record, shows you have zero objectivity. His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him. [B]But if i were a fan I'd wonder a bit about his focus on the D at the expense of the O, his clock management, use or non-use of challenges, attention to detail (Sorry guys, we're outta the playoffs?) and most importantly, the development of the Franchise.[/B][/QUOTE]

First of all like you said it's only been 14 games. We won't be able to tell what kind of coach he will be for a while. But I can see him improving. His focus was on the D, and always will be in a way, but he learned (Whether it was too late or not) that he has to get more involved with the QB and the offense.

His clock management has gotten better I think. If this was earlier in the year, he probably would have used no timeouts and hoped the defense just stopped the Falcons. This time he left the offense with I believe it was 2 time outs and 1:20 or so. Use of challenges..not much to say on that one.

His attention to details and the playoff remark. Gimme a break, it's his fault he didn't have all the scenarios mapped out before the game? He thought, like most, that we need to win out in order to get in. The team blew the game and it was an emotional reaction. Either way if those are the type of problems that I have to worry about the coach then I think we will be just fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414796]I brought up the fact that, until now, no one has posted this questioning of Rex's capabilities as a head coach. [/QUOTE]

That's because you have to be an idiot to try and draw conclusions after less than one year.
    Now you can help the thread starter so you have company doing so.

Morons love company.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;3414891]That's because you have to be an idiot to try and draw conclusions after less than one year.
    Now you can help the thread starter so you have company doing so.

Morons love company.[/QUOTE]

No. Morons lack reading comprehension. I haven't drawn a single conclusion. I wrote that " His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him.".
    You do read English don't you?
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 12-22-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414905]No. Morons lack reading comprehension. I haven't drawn a single conclusion. I wrote that " His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him.".
    You do read English don't you?[/QUOTE]

You didn't say that in the post that I quoted jerkoff.

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414905]I brought up the fact that, until now, no one has posted this questioning of Rex's capabilities as a head coach. The reaction your post is receiving is as expected with most fans buying into the tough every-guy persona that Rex portrays. My opinion, which everyone here will tell you is worth dog chit, is that Rex has a way to go to be called a good HC. Not to say he's not, but he's done nothing yet to exhibit otherwise.
    Yesterday 10:48 PM [/QUOTE]

You backpeddled later, toolbox.