Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Rex too loose of a cannon to be a great head coach?

Jets Insider VIP
    all you have to do is compare Rex's first year with the Jets with the hideous first year Bowlosh1t had with the Patri*ts and the multiple hideous years he had with the Browns before he hired Estrella and the illegal tapes cheating system

Jet fan, be honest for a moment. Which side sounds more reasonable:

[I]Vinny Patrollie: His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him.

Ray Ray: He is a modern day Parcells with a mix of his father, and I think Cowher.[/I]

I mean, come on, people. Have some self-respect, at least.

[QUOTE=sg3;3416446]all you have to do is compare Rex's first year with the Jets with the hideous first year Bowlosh1t had with the Patri*ts and the multiple hideous years he had with the Browns before he hired Estrella and the illegal tapes cheating system[/QUOTE]

Yes, and while doing that, check the rosters of those teams compared to what Rex inherited, and - oh yeah - review the fact that the Patriots came within a minute of going 19-0 [U]after[/U] cameragate.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=S.I. Patsfan;3416486]Jet fan, be honest for a moment. Which side sounds more reasonable:

[I]Vinny Patrollie: His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him.

Ray Ray: He is a modern day Parcells with a mix of his father, and I think Cowher.[/I]

I mean, come on, people. Have some self-respect, at least.[/QUOTE]

Nice selective editing.
    You should work for the White house.

[QUOTE=sg3;3416446]all you have to do is compare Rex's first year with the Jets with the hideous first year Bowlosh1t had with the Patri*ts and the multiple hideous years he had with the Browns before he hired Estrella and the illegal tapes cheating system[/QUOTE]

And what does Bill B have to do with Wrecks? typical Jet's answer to everything, deflect it to the Pat's . They cheated! They have BB who sucked in Cleveland! (BTW, check his Cleveland tenure and it wasn't as bad as people portray.)

The discussion is about Wrecks and does he have what it takes to be a HC.

Jury's still out on that one. I for one, believe his bombastic approach is just a smokescreen to cover up his inadequacies, and Jets fans have bought into it hook, line,and sinker.

His crying jag in the clubhouse was due to his frustration with the realization that the team is loaded with talent and some gaudy stats and that a real HC would have gotten them into the playoffs. He knows he's over his head and that was the moment of his epiphany.

Just sayin'

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3414844]Ignoring the personal attack, my point was not that I think he won't, or can't be a good HC. The mere fact that you call him a modern day Parcells, when all he's done is guide a talent laden team to a 7-7 record, shows you have zero objectivity. His body of work is only 14 games, so there's no need to crucify the guy. Likewise, it's too early to annoint him. But if i were a fan I'd wonder a bit about his focus on the D at the expense of the O, his clock management, [B]use or non-use of challenges[/B], attention to detail (Sorry guys, we're outta the playoffs?) and most importantly, the development of the Franchise.[/QUOTE]

Hey look what I found today on espn.com :

[QUOTE][B]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick is among the most inefficient challengers, wasting five timeouts. He ranks 29th among all coaches with a 17 percent success rate, one reversal on six challenges.[/B]

For perspective, the NFL average is 39.3 percent.

That's about where New York Jets rookie head coach Rex Ryan is. He has overturned 40 percent, two of his five challenges.

Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano is tied with former boss Wade Phillips as the most proficient among those with six or more challenges. They've each reversed four of six attempts (67 percent).[/QUOTE]

Banned
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3416746]Hey look what I found today on espn.com :[/QUOTE]

Who cares about one meaningless stat on espn? :rolleyes:

Name one HC in the NFL who has more wins in this decade than BB.

Winning is the only thing that matters and statistics are for losers.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3416749]Who cares about one meaningless stat on espn? :rolleyes:

Name one HC in the NFL who has more wins in this decade than BB.

Winning is the only thing that matters and statistics are for losers.[/QUOTE]

lol well obviously your boy Vinny does since he mentioned it as judging our HC. Thank you sir

Banned
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3416770]lol well obviously your boy Vinny does since he mentioned it as judging our HC. Thank you sir[/QUOTE]

The only stat that should be used to measure Wrecks is 7-7.

And seeing that he has the #1 defense and the #1 running game, that is a very sorry performance by Tubby.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3416334]If the Jets had Wrecks as its DC, and had say, Mike Shanahan as its HC, the Jets would be leading the division this year with a possible first round bye.

Shanahan would have sat The Kid for his first year instead of taking a 16 game college rookie and throwing him to the big dogs.[/QUOTE]

What was the other option though? Start Clemens? I was one of his biggest supporters but I can't imagine what kind of disaster our season would have been with him at the helm. At least Sanchez has shown some real ability (albeit mixed in with some real boneheaded rookie plays.)

[QUOTE=Piper;3416505]Nice selective editing.
    You should work for the White house.[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOL

Poor Conquer

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3416746]Hey look what I found today on espn.com :[/QUOTE]

And what's the stat comparison for [B]non-use[/B] of challenges?:rolleyes:

C'mon man, you can upgrade your reading comprehension beyond a third grade level can't you?

[QUOTE=crasherino;3416810]What was the other option though? Start Clemens? I was one of his biggest supporters but I can't imagine what kind of disaster our season would have been with him at the helm. At least Sanchez has shown some real ability (albeit mixed in with some real boneheaded rookie plays.)[/QUOTE]

I think any coach with experience in developing a rookie Qb would have brought in a veteran if Clemens wasn't the answer. Too many rookies QBs have had their careers killed because they were rushed into duty by desperate HCs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3416784]The only stat that should be used to measure Wrecks is 7-7.

And seeing that he has the #1 defense and the #1 running game, that is a very sorry performance by Tubby.[/QUOTE]

BB took over in 2000 and Pete Carroll had a 7th ranked D in 99..BB's fell to 17th in 2000.. Even the O scored more points under Carroll..:eek: Unlike BB Rex upgraded the D in year one but it's rough overcoming the Rookie at QB.. BB had a Vet in Bledsoe who had 3 pro bowls and a Super Bowl but still went 5-11.. Lets see what Rex does next year since BB did tons better in year 2..

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3414986]So are you.

Rex is the best coach we have had in decades.
    Possibly ever... We will find out.
    He put together THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE in his first year, with what he had to work with.
    I didn't see that Scumbag in NE come CLOSE to that, DID YOU???
    We can't WAIT to see what he does with HIS players![/QUOTE]

I really hope you are are not serious. Our team is stacked with talent at the starting positions for the most part especially on defense. He has brought that talent into fruition but he's got ways to go before I think he's better than even Mangini who actually took dog crap and made it sing in 2006.

However, I am excited for Rex who seems to be heading in the right direction but it is still way too early to make a REAL judgment.

Anyone mentioning him in the same sentence as Parcells and comparing him to Bellichick is just being a homer and giving the trolls on here a reason to call you out.

Banned
    Anyone who knows their way around the internet sports boards knows RayRay is the biggest Jet homer around.:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FauxJet07;3417305]Anyone who knows their way around the internet sports boards knows RayRay is the biggest Jet homer around.:yes:[/QUOTE]

NOT many spend the kind of time that you do on others boards.

Sign of a TRUE loser kemosabe.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3417084]And what's the stat comparison for [B]non-use[/B] of challenges?:rolleyes:

C'mon man, you can upgrade your reading comprehension beyond a third grade level can't you?[/QUOTE]

Yes I read just fine...you said "USE OR non-use" and since espn had an article today on USE of challenges I put it up. So I guess we are just choosing to ignore that BB is one of the worst in the league at challenging? Yet you want to judge Rex on it.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3417310]NOT many spend the kind of time that you do on others boards.

Sign of a TRUE loser kemosabe.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How do you know how much time I spend and where? :zzz:

and why the ethnic slur. Didn't think that was allowed here.:steamin:

and why would ANYONE stay on ONE sports board unless they were afraid of what other fans might have to say about their team on other boards?

Getting different viewpoints on which way your team is heading, what needs to be fixed, and how your team is percieved by fans around the league sure is scary if you're a homeboy:yes: but that's ok, just stay here and keep saying "wait til next year" if it makes you feel good .:P

Hey, This is fun:eek:

[QUOTE=Piper;3416505]Nice selective editing.
    You should work for the White house.[/QUOTE]

Right, because the posts I selected DIDN'T represent the general feelings of the two factions. Yours is an easy, cheap shot to take but doesn't actually address the fact that there are two sides on this thread - one taking the tempered, long view that it's too early to say one way or the other, and the others saying, "Yeah, man, Rex is AWESOME!"

Why waste the time typing something that flies in the face of easily proved reality?