Thread: Tech Savvy-less: Ipod to Ipod

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Tech Savvy-less: Ipod to Ipod

FOR 6 MONTHS -- yes 6 months, I am not tech savvy -- I have been trying to get my wife's songs off of her old current ipod onto a new i-pod touch. Our computer, with her original itunes library, in no longer working. Music was not backed up.

Any suggestions?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JFB;3415530]FOR 6 MONTHS -- yes 6 months, I am not tech savvy -- I have been trying to get my wife's songs off of her old current ipod onto a new i-pod touch. Our computer, with her original itunes library, in no longer working. Music was not backed up.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
    there is a way...I don't remember but someone here knows it...keep this bumped and you'll find him :cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You technically aren't supposed to be able to, but you can get it done. Google rip songs off ipod and you'll find it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="http://www.copytrans.net/"]http://www.copytrans.net/[/URL]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use iDump - it's a free program that dumps all your files off your iPod onto your PC...I used it once before, works like a charm.

LOL @ 'dump' though....

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a PC? If so, it's pretty easy, albeit a little tedious.

Plug in the ipod, close itunes for now.

Go to My Computer, navigate to the ipod drive. If you don't have hidden files and folders displaying, you need to do that. (Tools>Folder Options>View Tab>Select 'show hidden files and folders')

There's a folder called ipod control, under that is a music folder. Unhide that folder. (Right click>properties>uncheck hidden>apply to all folders).

Take that music folder, copy it to your local PC.

Two choices:

1. Open itunes. Add folder to library, choose the folder you copied the ipod music to and add it your library. Plug in the ipod touch. Choose manually manage music. And move the music from the library to the ipod.

2. Open itunes, plug in the ipod touch. Using windows explorer, go to the folder you copied the first ipod music to. Select it and drag into itunes to the ipod touch music folder and release and it will begin to copy the music directly to the ipod touch.

Done and done.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Ha Ha Ha; 12-22-2009 at 02:03 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Fish, and Jet things, however my question is I have a iBook that I bought off a friend and have his iTunes library, any way to get my music off my iPod and onto the iBook? or his music onto my iPod? thanks for anyones help on this.