Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1050 ESPN Inside the Jets with Mark Sanchez

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

1050 ESPN Inside the Jets with Mark Sanchez

[URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1957-jetstv-12-21-1050-espn-inside-the-jets-with-mark-sanchez"]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1957-jetstv-12-21-1050-espn-inside-the-jets-with-mark-sanchez[/URL]

It irks me that in his press conference's and interviews they all seem to ask him about his interceptions and how he needs to throw the ball away and be more careful and NEVER ask him why he has such a low completion% and why he cant consistently move the chains on 3rd down. I can live with a guy who throws the occasional interception as long as he is completing his passes and shows he can move the team. With the constant harping on his interceptions and telling him that the only thing he needs to do is not throw interceptions and punting the the ball is not bad and blahblahblah we are grooming the next Trent Dilfer. The questions should be why when he throws it do they get picked and not why dont you just not throw it.
    Last edited by avi31884; 12-22-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was anyone watching the Texas Michigan State game?
    I was surprised how quickly Texas pulled away at the end. Tim Izzo must be pissed

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]
    we are grooming the next Trent Dilfer
    [/QUOTE]
    he did win a superbowl with the ravens, so grooming the next dilfer might not be that bad :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=avi31884;3416286][URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1957-jetstv-12-21-1050-espn-inside-the-jets-with-mark-sanchez"]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1957-jetstv-12-21-1050-espn-inside-the-jets-with-mark-sanchez[/URL]

It irks me that in his press conference's and interviews they all seem to ask him about his interceptions and how he needs to throw the ball away and be more careful and NEVER ask him why he has such a low completion% and why he cant consistently move the chains on 3rd down. I can live with a guy who throws the occasional interception as long as he is completing his passes and shows he can move the team. With the constant harping on his interceptions and telling him that the only thing he needs to do is not throw interceptions and punting the the ball is not bad and blahblahblah we are grooming the next Trent Dilfer. The questions should be why when he throws it do they get picked and not why dont you just not throw it.[/QUOTE]

Because it's hard to do so when your first pass of a series often comes on 3rd and longs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice little tid bit on schotty and cavanaugh that talks about how they are trying to develop him... im sure many here will glance over that

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3416292]he did win a superbowl with the ravens, so grooming the next dilfer might not be that bad :P[/QUOTE]

Nice!

I totally agree!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=avi31884;3416286][URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1957-jetstv-12-21-1050-espn-inside-the-jets-with-mark-sanchez"]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1957-jetstv-12-21-1050-espn-inside-the-jets-with-mark-sanchez[/URL]

It irks me that in his press conference's and interviews they all seem to ask him about his interceptions and how he needs to throw the ball away and be more careful and NEVER ask him why he has such a low completion% and why he cant consistently move the chains on 3rd down. I can live with a guy who throws the occasional interception as long as he is completing his passes and shows he can move the team. With the constant harping on his interceptions and telling him that the only thing he needs to do is not throw interceptions and punting the the ball is not bad and blahblahblah we are grooming the next Trent Dilfer. The questions should be why when he throws it do they get picked and not why dont you just not throw it.[/QUOTE]

Stop it.

We have a rookie quarterback. He will have growing pains next year too. This is what happens when you draft a quarterback.

With the exception of Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, you just don't get quality quarterback play from a rookie.

And I'm sure you can obviously see why we're not starting Mr. Clemens. Every time he gets in the game, he drops back, waits, waits, waits, waits, waits, SACK... but I digress.

Go look at Drew Brees' rookie year. Go look at Peyton and Eli's rookie years.

You're so goddam impatient. I know we have a good defense. I know we have a good running game. I know it's frustrating to watch Sanchez play, or for that matter, any rookie quarterback play.

But we just drafted this kid. He's 22 years old. Stop freaking out because in his rookie year... wait for it.. he plays like a ROOKIE!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3416329]Stop it.

We have a rookie quarterback. He will have growing pains next year too. This is what happens when you draft a quarterback.

With the exception of Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, you just don't get quality quarterback play from a rookie.

And I'm sure you can obviously see why we're not starting Mr. Clemens. Every time he gets in the game, he drops back, waits, waits, waits, waits, waits, SACK... but I digress.

Go look at Drew Brees' rookie year. Go look at Peyton and Eli's rookie years.

You're so goddam impatient. I know we have a good defense. I know we have a good running game. I know it's frustrating to watch Sanchez play, or for that matter, any rookie quarterback play.

But we just drafted this kid. He's 22 years old. Stop freaking out because in his rookie year... wait for it.. he plays like a ROOKIE![/QUOTE]

Your right! Thats why he should have SAT this year out and learn!!! Like most other quality quarterbacks!

hands on experience is not the best way to break in a rookie. Stats prove that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416336]Your right! Thats why he should have SAT this year out and learn!!! Like most other quality quarterbacks!

hands on experience is not the best way to break in a rookie. Stats prove that.[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that because I saw both Peyton and Eli talk about their experience as rookies.

They both said the best way to learn is by playing in real games.

Both of them also had ugly, ugly rookie years.

And who would you start in Sanchez' place?

Definitely not Kellen "Cougar's lost the edge" Clemens. Definitely not Erik "I tear it up in preseason against third stringers" Ainge.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416336]Your right! Thats why he should have SAT this year out and learn!!! Like most other quality quarterbacks!

hands on experience is not the best way to break in a rookie. Stats prove that.[/QUOTE]
    although your theory is a good one, sometimes you cant let your rookie sit on the bench.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3416338]Funny you say that because I saw both Peyton and Eli talk about their experience as rookies.

Definitely not Kellen "Cougar's lost the edge" Clemens. Definitely not Erik "I tear it up in preseason against third stringers" Ainge.[/QUOTE]

there are exceptions to every rule and the Mannings are in the minority.. They also have probablly played QB sincePop Warner.

Sanchez's lack of experience as a youth and high school player can not and should not be overlooked.

but it was, and we are paying the price..

I totally understand we have no one else to play quarterback. clemens is as bad if not worse.

Makes me appreciate Chad Pennington even that much more

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3416338][B]Funny you say that because I saw both Peyton and Eli talk about their experience as rookies. [/B]

Definitely not Kellen "Cougar's lost the edge" Clemens. Definitely not Erik "I tear it up in preseason against third stringers" Ainge.[/QUOTE]

I listened the same thing, I wish I could find it because it was great to hear what they had to say.

I'm sure you can benefit from both ways, sitting or playing, but like Peyton said you can't really learn the speed of these things by holding a clipboard. You won't be able to tell how fast Ed Reed closes in on the ball by standing there or how a certain guy reacts. It's reps and experience during actual games that make a QB better. Clemens watched Chad and Favre...and he still is worth nothing. Every QB is different.

This defense will be good for a while, as long as Rex is around so to worry that we wasted a season is just dumb. Especially when even the defense can be improved as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3416360]I listened the same thing, I wish I could find it because it was great to hear what they had to say.

I'm sure you can benefit from both ways, sitting or playing, but like Peyton said you can't really learn the speed of these things by holding a clipboard. You won't be able to tell how fast Ed Reed closes in on the ball by standing there or how a certain guy reacts. It's reps and experience during actual games that make a QB better. Clemens watched Chad and Favre...and he still is worth nothing. Every QB is different.

This defense will be good for a while, as long as Rex is around so to worry that we wasted a season is just dumb. Especially when even the defense can be improved as well.[/QUOTE]

at practice 5 days a week They are hardly holding clipboards...

full speed drills are happening every single day... Tons of time to learn at practice

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    His accuracy is alot more worrisome to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416367]at practice 5 days a week They are hardly holding clipboards...

full speed drills are happening every single day... Tons of time to learn at practice[/QUOTE]

Are we really comparing a day of practice to an actual game? If that was the case, like I said before, Clemens should be our franchise QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3416329]

But we just drafted this kid. He's 22 years old. Stop freaking out because in his rookie year... wait for it.. he plays like a ROOKIE![/QUOTE]Where's my guarantee that our D will be intact and playing this well next year? This unit deserves to win now and there's one thing holding it back, Sixkiller Sanchez. Rex has won 2 SB's w/ QB's who were asked to just not F up. Sanchez is apparently too selfish to adopt that mentality.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3416375]Are we really comparing a day of practice to an actual game? If that was the case, like I said before, Clemens should be our franchise QB.[/QUOTE]

really?

when he started in his 2nd yr did you see anything that made you believe he was any good?

1 game in his whole career vs BALT in his very first start.. NO more.

its not a day of practice, its scores and scores of practices and hard work that makes you better. not game experience.

you ever play football?

if so I would be shocked by your comments

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3416382]Where's my guarantee that our D will be intact and playing this well next year? This unit deserves to win now and there's one thing holding it back, Sixkiller Sanchez. Rex has won 2 SB's w/ QB's who were asked to just not F up. Sanchez is apparently too selfish to adopt that mentality.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother

Amen

finally a voice of reason

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416384]really?

when he started in his 2nd yr did you see anything that made you believe he was any good?

1 game in his whole career vs BALT in his very first start.. NO more.

its not a day of practice, its scores and scores of practices and hard work that makes you better. not game experience.

you ever play football?

if so I would be shocked by your comments[/QUOTE]

you do realize that practices in the NFL are vastly different than practices you experienced in peewee/hs football right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Year 3 or 4 with Sanchez will be huge. If we're a solid team with him playing like sh*t then I wonder what a younger, bigger, more athletic team will be able to do when he starts hitting his early prime QB years.

I'm happy he's starting this year tbh, and that's not something I was saying at the beginning of the year.

Really, really interesting look at the QB position. Like CF80 said, I'm sure it'll be brushed over.

Cliffnotes on that period:

- Sanchez mentions speed early on, and mentions that it's huge. Since it's the most obvious, he doesn't really address it further.

- Sanchez is learning to take care of the ball. There's been bits and pieces of that where he does get it right, but obviously rookie mistakes come in bunches and therefore come big.

- Schottenheimer says every possession should end in a kick, so there goes that "it's either INT's or nothing" theory being tossed around.

- Sanchez said process. SOB.

- Sanchez says figuring out when a play is dead is huge because it was so easy to make it happen when the competition wasn't NFL level.

- He's a film room guy.

- It's apparent just how hard it is to play the position. Sanchez recalls alot of specific moments and situations where it's like "damn, I'm smarter than that." He's learning you can't get away with mistakes like you could before, and that it's a whole lot easier to make them.

- He's clearly not being coached well. Says the best thing that happened to the offense is the ingenius color scheme Coach Ryan the Great came up with. It really puts the game in perspective for him, especially if a situation is dire enough to be "red."

j/k on the last one.