Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1050 ESPN Inside the Jets with Mark Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    great of the kid to come on that show and pay tribute to the fans who show up live every week at that restaurant in Florham Park.

having a young franchise quarterback developing before our eyes

PRICELESS

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3416419]Year 3 or 4 with Sanchez will be huge. If we're a solid team with him playing like sh*t then I wonder what a younger, bigger, more athletic team will be able to do when he starts hitting his early prime QB years.

I'm happy he's starting this year tbh, and that's not something I was saying at the beginning of the year.

Really, really interesting look at the QB position. Like CF80 said, I'm sure it'll be brushed over.

Cliffnotes on that period:

- Sanchez mentions speed early on, and mentions that it's huge. Since it's the most obvious, he doesn't really address it further.

- Sanchez is learning to take care of the ball. There's been bits and pieces of that where he does get it right, but obviously rookie mistakes come in bunches and therefore come big.

- Schottenheimer says every possession should end in a kick, so there goes that "it's either INT's or nothing" theory being tossed around.

- Sanchez said process. SOB.

- Sanchez says figuring out when a play is dead is huge because it was so easy to make it happen when the competition wasn't NFL level.

- He's a film room guy.

- It's apparent just how hard it is to play the position. Sanchez recalls alot of specific moments and situations where it's like "damn, I'm smarter than that." He's learning you can't get away with mistakes like you could before, and that it's a whole lot easier to make them.

- He's clearly not being coached well. Says the best thing that happened to the offense is the ingenius color scheme Coach Ryan the Great came up with. It really puts the game in perspective for him, especially if a situation is dire enough to be "red."

j/k on the last one.[/QUOTE]

lol, got me on the last one.. almost headbutted my keyboard.

All League
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416336]Your right! Thats why he should have [B]SAT this year out and learn!!! Like most other quality quarterbacks![/B]
    hands on experience is not the best way to break in a rookie. Stats prove that.[/QUOTE]

Who was he going to learn from? Mark playing this year was a huge advantage going into next year.

[QUOTE=jets80;3416455]Mark playing this year was a huge advantage going into next year.[/QUOTE]

... + 1 ...

... especially with the line being so solid & him not getting physically beat up, rather just mentally challenged & having to digest what he's seeing so quickly ... i liked a couple of the audibles at the line of scrimmage he called ... clearly showing he's growing into the position ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416336]
    hands on experience is not the best way to break in a rookie. [B]Stats prove that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Paging Slim Stat Shady..:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416336]Your right! Thats why he should have SAT this year out and learn!!! Like most other quality quarterbacks!

hands on experience is not the best way to break in a rookie. Stats prove that.[/QUOTE]

this is silly there's no way or formula of how to build a superstar QB...look at the tops in the league..peyton played his fully rookie campaign, brady went in his 2nd year when the starter went down, kurt warner? palmer sat for a season or two but so did chad and everyone wanted him gone..point is...just relax dude...blaming sanchez is childish..let him grow if he turns out to be terrible o well that's the risk u take damn it

[QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3416336]Your right! Thats why he should have SAT this year out and learn!!! Like most other quality quarterbacks!

Peyton Manning disagrees. He said if he didnt take his lumps by playing his entire rookie season he would never be the Qb he is today.

I've been sitting here today reading through a few threads, and have really started to laugh hysterically at your posts. You contradict your own thoughts in quite a few. On on hand, you keep complaining about how Sanchez has such limited experience based on his college career, how no QB has less experience than he does, and that's fine, I see your point. But on the other hand, you also argue Sanchez should be holding a clipboard for a year or so on the sidelines. Question: Due to this immense lack of experience that you attribute Sanchez' struggles to, don't you think that's WHY he should be playing? As several QB's have said over the years, playing from day one was immense for them. Obviously, that's not a 100% successful formula for everyone. But, your arguments in favor of Sanchez sitting on the sideline (thus, less game experience) BECAUSE of his lack of experience is just an oxymoron....

All League
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3416382]Where's my guarantee that our D will be intact and playing this well next year? This unit deserves to win now and there's one thing holding it back, Sixkiller Sanchez. Rex has won 2 SB's w/ QB's who were asked to just not F up. Sanchez is apparently too selfish to adopt that mentality.[/QUOTE]

Considering Sanchez was picked at number 5 overall... I don't think he should adopt the mentality of "I want to be Trent Dilfer".

He's a kid. He's trying to play the game. He's got 3-5 seconds to read the field and make a throw.

He will make mistakes. It's not "selfish".

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3416329]Stop it.

We have a rookie quarterback. He will have growing pains next year too. This is what happens when you draft a quarterback.

With the exception of Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, you just don't get quality quarterback play from a rookie. [/QUOTE]

+1

Ryan and Flacco have show by their difficulties this year how difficult it is to play when given more authority compared to their rookie years, when their initiative was restained by the coaching staffs.

If Mark Sanchez comes out next season and shows NO improvement ................I shudder to think ........... :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    all the great ones start from the beginning and learn on the fly.... Elway, Marino, Manning, Sanchez.....

nobody sits behind Kellen Clumsey. if your do, you learn NOTHING

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3416419]Year 3 or 4 with Sanchez will be huge. If we're a solid team with him playing like sh*t then I wonder what a younger, bigger, more athletic team will be able to do when he starts hitting his early prime QB years.

I'm happy he's starting this year tbh, and that's not something I was saying at the beginning of the year.

Really, really interesting look at the QB position. Like CF80 said, I'm sure it'll be brushed over.

Cliffnotes on that period:

- Sanchez mentions speed early on, and mentions that it's huge. Since it's the most obvious, he doesn't really address it further.

- Sanchez is learning to take care of the ball. There's been bits and pieces of that where he does get it right, but obviously rookie mistakes come in bunches and therefore come big.

- Schottenheimer says every possession should end in a kick, so there goes that "it's either INT's or nothing" theory being tossed around.

- Sanchez said process. SOB.

- Sanchez says figuring out when a play is dead is huge because it was so easy to make it happen when the competition wasn't NFL level.

- He's a film room guy.

- It's apparent just how hard it is to play the position. Sanchez recalls alot of specific moments and situations where it's like "damn, I'm smarter than that." He's learning you can't get away with mistakes like you could before, and that it's a whole lot easier to make them.

- He's clearly not being coached well. Says the best thing that happened to the offense is the ingenius color scheme Coach Ryan the Great came up with. It really puts the game in perspective for him, especially if a situation is dire enough to be "red."

j/k on the last one.[/QUOTE]

it was a great interview and it definitely should have put a lot of peoples mind at ease a little about his bad play. the guy is just learning how to play at this level.

The one piece i found very interesting was at the end where he talks about cav and schotty wanting to put a lot on his plate because they dont want to limit his physical tools. This is somthing a lot of people were critical of schotty early but i think its essential to just LET THE MAN PLAYY.. he's got that little bit of gunslinger mentality and a little bit of moxy to him where he can create plays somtimes. they let him do that and they dont try to wrangle him.. the best quote (and im paraphrasing because i dont quite remember exactly what was said) : "they said they'd rather tame me and watch u kinda grasp it urself and then let that natural riverboat gambler mentality take over somtimes, just not all the time"

really shows what the team is trying to do with his development and i think it accounts for a lot of his INTS because truly the coaches are letting him just go out and play and are helping him to figure it out. I think its smarter this way because it lets mark be mark.. he's got the ability he just needs to up to speed with this level

[QUOTE]The one piece i found very interesting was at the end where he talks about cav and schotty wanting to put a lot on his plate because they dont want to limit his physical tools. This is somthing a lot of people were critical of schotty early but i think its essential to just LET THE MAN PLAYY.[/QUOTE]

I found that interesting too. Nice way to put it too, because it's something you don't think about until it's stated. You can't just have a young stong armed QB and try to come up with ways to baby him. Why let him play then?

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3417393]I found that interesting too. Nice way to put it too, because it's something you don't think about until it's stated. You can't just have a young stong armed QB and try to come up with ways to baby him. Why let him play then?[/QUOTE]

exactly and if you really think about it if your going to take a qb and let him play like that then u really just have to try to tame his decision making and teach him to play smarter.. letting him play the way he's talking WILL LEAD TO MORE MISTAKES AND INT's initially but to be honest i think in the long run its a better way to develop a player than to inhibit his natural playmaking ability.

its like taking a runningback and saying "ok you have great vision but i dont care about that lets just make ONE CUT and run ur butt off" y not let him hit the hole and look for a cutback lane?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3416382]Where's my guarantee that our D will be intact and playing this well next year? This unit deserves to win now and there's one thing holding it back, Sixkiller Sanchez. Rex has won 2 SB's w/ QB's who were asked to just not F up. Sanchez is apparently too selfish to adopt that mentality.[/QUOTE]

There is a LOT of truth to the above post.

I hear rookie this and rookie that but he throws over the middle, into double coverage etc....

I have legit concerns.

EVERY NFL QB bust was given the "oh he's a rookie" crap. Ask Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, SF, Cinn, SD about high draft pick QB busts in the last 10 years. How do we know he's not the 2nd coming of Browning Nagel.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3417500]There is a LOT of truth to the above post.

I hear rookie this and rookie that but he throws over the middle, into double coverage etc....

I have legit concerns.

EVERY NFL QB bust was given the "oh he's a rookie" crap. Ask Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, SF, Cinn, SD about high draft pick QB busts in the last 10 years. How do we know he's not the 2nd coming of Browning Nagel.[/QUOTE]

Because the offense is too well built to not produce a good QB.

We have alot of early and pre-prime players on offense. I think as they play more with Sanchez, and he plays more in the league the better they'll get as a unit.