Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Baker key to Pats revamped running game

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris Baker key to Pats revamped running game

As the Patriots have ramped up their running game of late, tight end Chris Baker has been a key.

“You can watch Chris play and see him do all the things that that position does,’’ coach Bill Belichick said. “Even lining up in the backfield, he’s done that some. The inside motioning, the perimeter off-the-line plays, the on-the-line plays. I think he has a pretty good feel for those things, the wham blocks, the flash blocks, where they come all the way back, the point of attack blocks.

“I think he’s a pretty versatile guy and that helps you in the running game, so you’re not always doing the same thing with that player and it makes the defense have to defend the blocking combinations.’’

Baker’s ascension as a blocker was a big reason the Patriots signed him in March, and it happened as a means of survival from his early NFL years.

When he arrived in the league from Michigan State, it was with the reputation as a catch-first, block-never player. And that wasn’t going to fly in a Jets offense that wasn’t going to feature the tight end.

“My first year in New York, I think I caught two passes,’’ Baker said. “So I really started honing my skills, as far as blocking, to get on the field, because they didn’t use a tight end in the passing game my first couple of years. So it was, ‘Let me get on the field and do what I can,’ and I got better and better.’’

A big part of it, for Baker, has been taking a hard-nosed attitude to this kind of work, particularly when arriving in New England and having so much learning to do in the passing game.

“I’ve learned the last couple of years, it’s a lot more about attitude,’’ Baker said. “My technique now, compared to what it was a couple of years ago, probably isn’t what it was because I don’t work on it as much here as I did in the past. So it’s the attitude of going out and doing it.’’

And as Maroney & Co. can attest, he’s done it.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    :zzz:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3416567]:zzz:[/QUOTE]

I'll second that...
    :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting, but I don't really think the problem with the Jets offense is the lack of Chris Baker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3416603]It's interesting, but I don't really think the problem with the Jets offense is the lack of Chris Baker.[/QUOTE]

ben hartsock has been a penalty machine.. that guy sucks.

chris baker was a mouthy dude but it was a loss no question.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any "resurgance" :rolleyes: in the Pats running game has everything to do with the fact that defenses don't have an ounce respect their ability to run and instead key on Welker/Moss/Brady. And nothing to do with Chris Baker.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats one and done in the playoffs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, I really wish we had him back. He's probably the missing element in our running game. If we had him, we'd be the best rushing team in the league!

oh wait...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3416630]Gosh, I really wish we had him back. He's probably the missing element in our running game. If we had him, we'd be the best rushing team in the league!

oh wait...[/QUOTE]

what he said

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont even see the point to this

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3416611]Pats one and done in the playoffs[/QUOTE]

Not if they play the Jets in the opening round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;3416610]Any "resurgance" :rolleyes: in the Pats running game has everything to do with the fact that defenses don't have an ounce respect their ability to run and instead key on Welker/Moss/Brady. And nothing to do with Chris Baker.[/QUOTE]

Potato, I actually think any "resurgance" can be directly attributed to Bill Bellyspy actually deciding to run the ball. He had success earlier, but was too gaga over Brady to take the ball out of his hands.

Has nothing to do with Baker or the passing game. It's just a commitment to the run.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3416641]

Potato, I actually think any "resurgance" can be directly attributed to Bill Bellyspy actually [B][U]deciding to run the ball[/U][/B]. He had success earlier, but was too gaga over Brady to take the ball out of his hands.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3416639]Not if they play the Jets in the opening round.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="5"]LOL[/SIZE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3416604][B]ben hartsock has been a penalty machine.. that guy sucks.[/B]

chris baker was a mouthy dude but it was a loss no question.[/QUOTE]

No question. I don't care if he's helped even marginally in the run game...the Jets might have two additional wins if not for this clown - his penalties in the Buffalo and Miami (#2, on the two-point try) were inexcusable point-killers.

No way we could have paid Baker what he wanted, but it's a shame...we might not have had to run an out pattern to our backup OT on Sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3416604]ben hartsock has been a penalty machine.. that guy sucks.

chris baker was a mouthy dude but it was a loss no question.[/QUOTE]
    Precisely so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does he even have 15 catches (total) in 15 games so far this season?
    Great production.
    Just bring in another 300 lb tackle to play TE then on running plays. We have Turner or Hunter for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3416641]Potato, I actually think any "resurgance" can be directly attributed to Bill Bellyspy actually deciding to run the ball. He had success earlier, but was too gaga over Brady to take the ball out of his hands.

Has nothing to do with Baker or the passing game. It's just a commitment to the run.[/QUOTE]

And he's decided to do so as a direct result of doing the right thing: taking what the defense gives you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this board lovvvves to point fingers

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3416716]Does he even have 15 catches (total) in 15 games so far this season?
    Great production.
    Just bring in another 300 lb tackle to play TE then on running plays. We have Turner or Hunter for that.[/QUOTE]

The Pats did not sign Baker for his pass catching abilities. Any production as a receiver is icing on the cake.

Also, he has only played in 7 games and has 11 receptions, 13.9 avg and 1 TD.