Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Devin McCourty?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Devin McCourty?

I saw CBNY mention him a while back as a possible 2nd rounder, but I'm seeing alot of parallels to our boy Revis that makes me wonder just how high he can go.

1 - Shutdown college corner. Revis was a junior, but both were shut down corners for their teams.

2 - Versatility. Both helped out on special teams to get them on the field as much as possible.

3 - Work ethic. McCourty is supposed to be a film buff, and he's definitely considered a leader type because of his work ethic.

4 - Physicality - Corners that play the run.

So, how high can this guy go? How good is he?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm as much of a Rutgers homer as anyone but I think 2nd round is a bit high of a projection (although possible given the weak crop of corners this year). He was a very good corner this year and brings a lot to the table, but I don't think he'll be "shut down" in the pros. Might end up a starter someday, but I don't see him as a career starter like Revis. If anything he's probably very comparable to Lowery as a pro prospect in terms of how he will contribute in the league but Lowery was much better than him in college, and Devin certainly outshined his brother in his final year as a Scarlet Knight... I was shocked and very proud of his improvement. If anything he WILL be a special teams demon and a great nickelback.

My projection is a high of 3rd, and a low of 5th.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So he's a Lowery type CB? Didn't watch too much Rutgers this year, so I don't even have a profile of his playing style.

What kind of speed/athleticism does he have? Is he a little stiff like Lowery, or is he a fluid athlete? Is he closer to Lowery or say...Lito Sheppard?

Really, I came in here to smoke a cigarette. The Drama Strip is in full force this fine day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you do most of you profilin Gato. I know last year you had a pretty good knowledge base on a player's style. It takes me until scouting reports and tape is posted online. You watch that much college ball?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3416903]So he's a Lowery type CB? Didn't watch too much Rutgers this year, so I don't even have a profile of his playing style. [/QUOTE]

Not playing style as much as the role he will play as a pro... occasional/non-permenant starter, mostly nickelback role.

As far as athleticism, much more fluid than Lowery, but Lowery's coverage skills on the college level were far better.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 12-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3416925]Where do you do most of you profilin Gato. I know last year you had a pretty good knowledge base on a player's style. It takes me until scouting reports and tape is posted online. You watch that much college ball?[/QUOTE]

I watch more college football than say...someone who doesn't like college football, but honestly it's just that it's easy enough to do if you keep a few key things in mind:

- It's what a guy CAN do, not CAN'T do that matters.

- Character is a big deal.

- Combine helps figure out who's a better athlete than who. Size and athleticism are a big part of this game, and prototypes always win out.

- Experience is big, but intelligence is bigger.

If you keep it simple, you can generally be able to profile a player. Naturally there's misses, I bombed on Gholston for now, but there's always misses. I do admit that I bombed on Gholston so badly because it's easy to fall for pass rushers in the draft.

The biggest thing that watching games does for me is that you see the little things...like last night we were watching BYU/OSt. and I noticed that BYU's TE Pitta had some really strong hands. Now, obviously someone could tell me that later on, but now I have my opinion. It's usually helpful for things like general on-field habits (motor), consistency, etc....Dan Williams stood out last year because he and Ayers were often in on plays and "around the ball"...good habits for D players.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    mccourty was rated as the number 1 senior CB by National Scouting in their post season grading....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3430085]mccourty was rated as the number 1 senior CB by National Scouting in their post season grading....[/QUOTE]

Anything else of note from the post season grading?