Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets 22nd in sacks-what to do?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3417217]I don't think this stat is much of a problem... probably more to do with teams knowing they have to get rid of the ball quick. The fact that we give up the least amount of passing yards is proof enough and hold opposing QBs to 52.7% (NFL best) proves the sack stat is misleading.

1st - total yards
    1st - passing yards
    1st - points against
    1st - comp %
    1st - avg. Yds per pass
    1st - passing TDs

It would be great to have more sacks and we should be getting more turnovers for sure, but can't deny these team defensive stats. People complain about the run defense, although they are 11th in rushing yards per game, the Jets are 4th in Yards per Rush (3.8).

I am disappointed with the season, but I have waited A LONG TIME for the Jets to have a dominating defense like this. I am excited to see what they do in the draft and free agency to make it even better next year![/QUOTE]

+1 the sacks aren't a problem

QBs throw the ball under pressure it creates bad plays, regardless if it's a sack

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    just wait until rex gets a hold of gholston, he is going to be a beast, next year is really his rookie year....right???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3416992]The Jets can collapse a pocket but still can't sack the qb. While 22nd may not sound terrible, I bet the defense ranks high in blitzes.

It's better than last year, at least qbs are feeling the pressure. We need one guy to make the defense scary tough.[/QUOTE]

According to you our pass rush this year is worse than least season since we have less sacks. If you want to go back to even the first half of last season, you are alone. Sacks are a completely meangingless stat on its own. If you dont think so, go back to last season for the first 8 games and watch a team get 3 sacks a game but on every other passing play never get near the opposing qb. Man, those 3 sacks a game must really rattle the QB!

Consistent pressure on every passing play, sacks + KNOCKDOWNS + QB HITS is much more important than a boatload of sacks but no pressure whatsoever on every other passing play when you dont get near the QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3417217]I don't think this stat is much of a problem... probably more to do with teams knowing they have to get rid of the ball quick. The fact that we give up the least amount of passing yards is proof enough and hold opposing QBs to 52.7% (NFL best) proves the sack stat is misleading.

1st - total yards
    1st - passing yards
    1st - points against
    1st - comp %
    1st - avg. Yds per pass
    1st - passing TDs

It would be great to have more sacks and we should be getting more turnovers for sure, but can't deny these team defensive stats. People complain about the run defense, although they are 11th in rushing yards per game, the Jets are 4th in Yards per Rush (3.8).

I am disappointed with the season, but I have waited A LONG TIME for the Jets to have a dominating defense like this. [B]I am excited to see what they do in the draft and free agency to make it even better next year[/B]![/QUOTE]

I'm thinking with as good as the D is and as abyssmal the O is, they are probably going to address the O almost exclusively. 1 or 2 of the right players on D could put us in the elite category though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3417248]According to you our pass rush this year is worse than least season since we have less sacks. If you want to go back to even the first half of last season, you are alone. Sacks are a completely meangingless stat on its own. If you dont think so, go back to last season for the first 8 games and watch a team get 3 sacks a game but on every other passing play never get near the opposing qb. Man, those 3 sacks a game must really rattle the QB!

Consistent pressure on every passing play, sacks + KNOCKDOWNS + QB HITS is much more important than a boatload of sacks but no pressure whatsoever on every other passing play when you dont get near the QB.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. We are usually very good at getting pressure. The only thing that sucks is when a team picks up every guy and the QB easily finds a target, as we've seen a few times this season (Falcons game most recently). We still need a guy that can beat a LT from the DE position. That's the best position to get sacks from and usually equates to big plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;3417016]draft two defensive ends next year 1-2[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3417173]Yeah the last time you tried to spout off at the mouth like you knew something about pass rushers you suggested how great Gholston was and how crappy Long was. You don't have much credibility.[/QUOTE]

If by "last time" you meant "2 drafts ago" then sure. Chris Long has 4 sacks apiece in his two seasons, and is basically the same player he was as a rookie.

And oh no...I lack credibility with southside...whatever shall I do. Back to my corner to whimper away I go...:rolleyes:

You cling to that one southside. You've really got me there. I'm not quite sure what I'll do now...besides the corner thing.

You know it would have been wiser to just do this:

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/chirag_t/Cool_story_bro.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-23-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While anyone would always love another pass rusher, one of the main reasons we're 22nd in Sacks is because everybody in the league knows the blitz is coming when they play the Jets, and they sit much of the game in max protect, or 3 step drops and fire the ball quickly..... and that's working for us, looking at our rankings against the pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3417261]If by "last time" you meant "2 drafts ago" then sure. Chris Long has 4 sacks apiece in his two seasons, and is basically the same player he was as a rookie.

And oh no...I lack credibility with southside...whatever shall I do. Back to my corner to whimper away I go...:rolleyes:

You cling to that one southside. You've really got me there. I'm not quite sure what I'll do now...besides the corner thing.

You know it would have been wiser to just do this:

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/chirag_t/Cool_story_bro.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You're the one telling the stories bra. Have fun with your predictions that no one cares about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3417265]While anyone would always love another pass rusher, one of the main reasons we're 22nd in Sacks is because everybody in the league knows the blitz is coming when they play the Jets, and they sit much of the game in max protect, or 3 step drops and fire the ball quickly..... and that's working for us, looking at our rankings against the pass.[/QUOTE]

And can anyone really complain about the pass rush/total sacks when we're the best team against the pass? That's the whole point of the rush, to leave less time to throw the ball. If you ask me we're doing pretty good in that way. But it is pretty frustrating to watch our guys all look for a lineman to match up with and then dance with until the QB throws the ball.

I was watching Peppers rush Favre and it reminded me that we really need a DE that can do that. He not only beats people with every move in the book, he can bullrush the hell out of a lineman and then sack the QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3417276]You're the one telling the stories bra. Have fun with your predictions that no one cares about.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you failed to understand last time:

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/chirag_t/Cool_story_bro.jpg[/IMG]

As in: end of conversation. I can't have a discussion with a dude who either can't add or doesn't understand that you're touching the ball when you're returning kicks. If simple sh*t like that flies over your head...

Unless, of course, you're 100% correct all the time ass wants to school me on what I should be looking for in a pass rusher.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3417282]
    I was watching Peppers rush Favre and it reminded me that we really need a DE that can do that. He not only beats people with every move in the book, he can bullrush the hell out of a lineman and then sack the QB.[/QUOTE]

Peppers was a once in a decade prospect... the ideal recently was Mario Williams but he doesn't compare to how Peppers is playing right now.

if the JEts are in a gambling mood again there are at least 2 defensive ends that should have been high first round picks but probably won't be: Carlos Dunlap Florida and Greg Hardy Ole Miss. These guys are extremely talented but are likely going to be considered riskier than Vernon Gholston was pre-draft. Both are excellent football players. But both are a bit snake bitten for various non football reasons.

does tanny feel lucky?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos Dunlap can suck a sack. It'd be like getting a bigger, probably lazier version of Gholston all over again.

Now Greg Hardy...there's a guy who's probably the consensus #1 DE if he could stay healthy. Reminds me alot of Pace as a player, and I mean that as a very big compliment to him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3417248]

Consistent pressure on every passing play, sacks + KNOCKDOWNS + QB HITS is much more important than a boatload of sacks[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, that's why I said they are doing a good job of hurrying the quarterback.

Consistent pressure on every passing play, sacks + KNOCKDOWNS + QB HITS [B]AND[/B] a boatload of sacks would be even better. Not to mention hitting the qb means more fumbles.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3417292]Peppers was a once in a decade prospect... the ideal recently was Mario Williams but he doesn't compare to how Peppers is playing right now.

if the JEts are in a gambling mood again there are at least 2 defensive ends that should have been high first round picks but probably won't be: Carlos Dunlap Florida and Greg Hardy Ole Miss. These guys are extremely talented but are likely going to be considered riskier than Vernon Gholston was pre-draft. Both are excellent football players. But both are a bit snake bitten for various non football reasons.

does tanny feel lucky?[/QUOTE]

That's all I'm asking for, no more players with "upside". Just get me a freaking football player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3417297]That's all I'm asking for, no more players with "upside". Just get me a freaking football player.[/QUOTE]

That was good. :yes:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Merriman will be a jet next year!

I live in San Diego,these people hear say the Chargers drafted Larry English to replace Merriman next year when he is a free agent or will be cut.I think he would love to play for Rex,and he is what we need opposite Pace!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sbg7269;3417303]I live in San Diego,these people hear say the Chargers drafted Larry English to replace Merriman next year when he is a free agent or will be cut.I think he would love to play for Rex,and he is what we need opposite Pace![/QUOTE]

Don't even joke like that...Landing a 26 year old Merriman 2 years removed from knee surgery would be so huge for this D...I'm pretty sure I'd rock wood for the next week after that signing. Someone's mom would be a very sore lady.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except for the part that Merriman only has 4 sacks since he f'ed up his knees, and is still as one-dimensional as ever. So he's a one-trick pony, and he's not even that good at that one trick anymore.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the guy we should pursue :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jerry Hughes in the first or George Selvie in the second would be sick.