Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jets 22nd in sacks-what to do?

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3417326]Except for the part that Merriman only has 4 sacks since he f'ed up his knees, and is still as one-dimensional as ever. So he's a one-trick pony, and he's not even that good at that one trick anymore.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the guy we should pursue :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

1-trick pony?
    Lets sign John Abraham as our pass-rushing DE!
    oh wait...we did that once already...sorry.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3417292]Peppers was a once in a decade prospect... the ideal recently was Mario Williams but he doesn't compare to how Peppers is playing right now.

if the JEts are in a gambling mood again there are at least 2 defensive ends that should have been high first round picks but probably won't be: Carlos Dunlap Florida and Greg Hardy Ole Miss. These guys are extremely talented but are likely going to be considered riskier than Vernon Gholston was pre-draft. Both are excellent football players. But both are a bit snake bitten for various non football reasons.

does tanny feel lucky?[/QUOTE]
    That's a better formula. Football players who have dropped. This means the investment risk is less.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3417326]Except for the part that Merriman only has 4 sacks since he f'ed up his knees, and is still as one-dimensional as ever. So he's a one-trick pony, and he's not even that good at that one trick anymore.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the guy we should pursue :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Give knee surgery 2 years. McGahee came back and figured out to be a solid all around back, same for Frank Gore (except Gore's beast). Injuries also teach guys alot about how to take care of themselves, and how to work out differently and all that good stuff. You learn a whole lot about your body post-first major injury.

There will be a decent competition for Merriman as a FA, and I think the winner will end up really happy. He's still a proven, young pass rusher even with the injury, which players have come back from. I wonder if he cares about playing in a 4-3 over a 3-4 with the whole standing up vs. hands down thing.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-23-2009 at 08:51 PM.

merriman hasnt looked dominant at all this year but i think he'll turn it around next season...

these knee injuries are soo hard to judge most players take 2 years to recover some can come back right away.. look at osi this year (altho i thought he was a little overrated anyway) he hasnt been nearly as dominant as he was pre injury. somtimes it just takes some time to get back to speed with it.

i think if the moneys right and he wants to come here he'd be a big addition from a few standpoints. 1. if he can reagian form we have a premiere passrusher for this defense 2. he gives us yet another vocal leader on the field and u cant deny the intensity he brings to a defense.
    I s

Veteran
    I don't know if this was mentioned somewhere in this thread or not but I think even more than sacks is these damn [B]dropped interceptions![/B] A great defense takes advantage of these opportunities. I would love someone to pull up a stat on how many #1 defenses have forced less turnovers than we have.

[QUOTE=penny2moss;3417692]I don't know if this was mentioned somewhere in this thread or not but I think even more than sacks is these damn [B]dropped interceptions![/B] A great defense takes advantage of these opportunities. I would love someone to pull up a stat on how many #1 defenses have forced less turnovers than we have.[/QUOTE]

That is a great point. The dropped INTs against Atlanta played a big part in the loss. Revis dropped a few, Leonard dropped one that could have gone for 6, probably a few others as well. As great as Revis is, he has probably dropped 6 INTs this year of which a few could have gone for scores. In general, there are a lot of sure INTs dropped by DBs and LBs all over the NFL. Being Jets fans we take notice more of the Jets drops.

I also think the Jets defenders don't do a very good job of going for strips... the 2nd and 3rd guys on the ball carrier need to be going for the ball. This is pretty standard practice, but the Jets don't do it. They also don't seem to try to strip the ball during hits on the QB. Hopefully Rex can address this more for next season when he has a year under his belt and isn't so set on getting guys up to speed on the new defense... more time for the little things. A lot of it is football instinct, but it can also be taught.

[QUOTE=SackDancer99;3417697]That is a great point. The dropped INTs against Atlanta played a big part in the loss. Revis dropped a few, Leonard dropped one that could have gone for 6, probably a few others as well. As great as Revis is, he has probably dropped 6 INTs this year of which a few could have gone for scores. In general, there are a lot of sure INTs dropped by DBs and LBs all over the NFL. Being Jets fans we take notice more of the Jets drops.

I also think the Jets defenders don't do a very good job of going for strips... the 2nd and 3rd guys on the ball carrier need to be going for the ball. This is pretty standard practice, but the Jets don't do it. They also don't seem to try to strip the ball during hits on the QB. Hopefully Rex can address this more for next season when he has a year under his belt and isn't so set on getting guys up to speed on the new defense... more time for the little things. A lot of it is football instinct, but it can also be taught.[/QUOTE]

i can think of probably 3 off the top of my head that sheppard has dropped.. one that without a doubt would have went for a score i think against the pats i wanna say