Thread: RB Situation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

RB Situation

Mike's thread about Graig Cooper got me thinking about the RB situation the Jets face in the off-season.

Leon Washington is a free agent, but he is coming off a broken leg. That will bring his price tag down, but will he be the same player?

Thomas Jones will have one more year left before free agency, but he will also be 32 next year and is bound to hit the proverbial wall soon.

1)Do you re-sign Washington or let him walk and replace him in the draft/free agency? Since this is the draft forum, throw some names out.

AND

2)Do you extend Jones, let him play out his contract and then let him walk, or do you cut him considering you have a similar back already on roster in Greene and the savings could be spent elsewhere?

(Any cap gurus know the saving on cutting Jones? Kerry Rhodes, where you at?)

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Jones is due a 3 million roster bonus in March and 2.8 in salary next year , a 5.8 cap hit. No team will pay that kind of money to a 32 year old RB. Thomas's best deal is with the Jets , but it will be under 3million. If Jones plays hardball the Jets are preparing to go in another direction. You pay Leon , next year even if you have to put him on IR in March. Depending on Leon's condition and the free agent market, a fourth or sixth round pick will be used for depth at RB. A sixth, gives you a possible option of stashing the RB on the PS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;3417178]I think Jones is due a 3 million roster bonus in March and 2.8 in salary next year , a 5.8 cap hit. No team will pay that kind of money to a 32 year old RB. Thomas's best deal is with the Jets , but it will be under 3million. If Jones plays hardball the Jets are preparing to go in another direction. You pay Leon , next year even if you have to put him on IR in March. Depending on Leon's condition and the free agent market, a fourth or sixth round pick will be used for depth at RB. A sixth, gives you a possible option of stashing the RB on the PS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the cap info.

So pay Leon and restructure Jones?

Seems reasonable, but with players like Edwards and Jenkins needing to be re-signed with Revis, Ferguson, etc. possibly looking for extensions, would it not be a better us eof funds to allocate them elsewhere?

I'm more of the camp that Greene can step up and either Jones/Washington has to go(If not both). Considering Jones is 32 and Greene is more similar to him, I would say Jones gets cut.

Bringing back Washington is trickier, IMO. He was awesome before his injury. But Washington's game is predicated on speed and explosiveness. He's that type of player where if he loses one step, he's done. And considering he just broke his leg and grows one more year closer to 30...I don't know.

It will kind of depend on his price. If he thinks he can still get a huge payday, I look to the draft at guys like Washington who can compliment Greene- Spiller, McCluster, Devine, etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best scenario judging by what happens on the field would be to keep Jones around another year, have him the starter at the beginning of the year but give more and more carries to Greene. This way he won't face as much pressure, he can ease his way in and we got an insurance if Greene isn't ready or gets injured. I think Greene has struggled a bit with fumbles and after the Oakland game he really hasn't gotten big time carries. This might tell us something.

A pass catching back would be nice, hopefully Leon can fill that role next year...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3417206]The best scenario judging by what happens on the field would be to keep Jones around another year, have him the starter at the beginning of the year but give more and more carries to Greene. This way he won't face as much pressure, he can ease his way in and we got an insurance if Greene isn't ready or gets injured. I think Greene has struggled a bit with fumbles and after the Oakland game he really hasn't gotten big time carries. This might tell us something.

A pass catching back would be nice, hopefully Leon can fill that role next year...[/QUOTE]

+1

I cannot see Jones not being back with the year he has had. I don't think the organization is ready to turn their back on Leon yet either. I say we have the same three running backs next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole "do we resign Washington" thing is a very annoying issue to me. I want to because I think his injury won't affect him in the long term of what should be a pretty sure NFL career (say another 4-5 years), but at the same time RB is a position where fresh legs > non-fresh legs.

If you told me now that we could land CJ Spiller with a pick, then I'd say don't resign him. Otherwise, this is a problem for Mike T to solve.

The fact that Leon should be cheaper helps his case though...plus he's a really good dude.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3417206]The best scenario judging by what happens on the field would be to keep Jones around another year, have him the starter at the beginning of the year but give more and more carries to Greene. This way he won't face as much pressure, he can ease his way in and we got an insurance if Greene isn't ready or gets injured. I think Greene has struggled a bit with fumbles and after the Oakland game he really hasn't gotten big time carries. This might tell us something.

A pass catching back would be nice, hopefully Leon can fill that role next year...[/QUOTE]

Not a bad plan. Again, I'm just worried about money.

Could we re-structure Jones and maybe offer Washington a 1-year, incentive-laden deal so he can try to up his value for probably his first and only big free agency pay day?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's an uncapped year, just keep TJ for another year, and tender Leon a contract as an RFA. If Leon proves his health, then you can extend him and let him and Greene carry the load from then on out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's up to me, Jones is a goner. He served his purpose here, played well for the Jets, but it's time to cut bait.

I've said before that it's better to let players go a year early than a year late, and I think TJ's time has come.

This is a young man's league, especially when it comes to RBs.

Leon wasn't the same this year -- even before the injury. If he's demanding some absurd contract, then it may be time for him to go as well. He is a nice change of pace back, a great return man and a great teammate. But he isn't worth $6-7 mil a year.

Adding another RB this year is a must, and the draft is probably the best place to do that. I personally would like to take one early, but there are plenty of quality guys to be had late as well.

Day one guys I like are CJ Spiller, Jahvid Best, Ryan Matthews, and Graig Cooper.

Day two guys are Keiland Williams, Ben Tate, Stafon Johnson, and Chris Brown (Oklahoma).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a huge fan of taking Ben Tate he has the potential to be an amazing all around back. Big, strong, fast and can be had in the middle rounds. Taking him in the 4th would be very smart. Tate, Greene, Leon would be a nice stable of backs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we take a running back in the draft to replace TJ, I would look at Montario Hardesty from Tennessee in the middle rounds. He fits our scheme very well as he is a similar runner to Jones. Not much wiggle, hits the hole hard and is a good one cut runner. Decent receiver too and not too much wear on his tires. Ben Tate is another middle round guy that I would like to add...