Thread: America's Most Decorated Soldier Passes Away

America's Most Decorated Soldier Passes Away

I just want to mention the passing of Robert Howard, A Special Forces operator during the Vietnam War and inspiration who I had the priviledge of meeting in the course of my career several times, died at age 70.

He was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times and won it in 1971. He won multiple Silver Star and Distinguished Service Crosses. He fought in the secret wars in Cambodia and Laos in addition to South Vietnam. His operation included covert POW/MIA search missions in these countries with the Special Observation Group (SOG)- the Army's Special Forces long range recon command.

Offered many times to return home, he refused and ended up serving 5 tours of duty in Southeast Asia. SOG teams were 5 man SF elements with 5-10 indigenous Vietnamese ethnic minority fighters who infiltrated Cambodia and Laos to search for POW-MIA's and report on and disrupt enemy logistics. They often would be left alone for 1-2 weeks at at time by themselves and the casualty rate for SOG teams often reached 50 to even 100% at times.

When I first met him, his modesty was his foremost trait and yet his extraordinary force of will that drove him to fight and challenge the odds always seemed just beeath the surface. His passion and dedication to this country and its forces was so evident, he travelled often to Iraq and Afghanistan to advise and inspire a new generation of servicemen.

I just wanted to post this to note the passing of a great man who in an era of passion and domestic animosity that Vietnam took place in, deserved more recognition than he received, especially since he can easily claim the mantle of America's most decorated soldier.

RIP.

For more information on Howard, here is his Wiki entry:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Howard[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

RIP, sir.

I am humbled.

Thanks for posting this Equilibrium.

Rest in Peace Sir.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE]Howard, a larger-than-life figure on the national military scene, appeared at many patriotic events in San Antonio and helped honor the wounded by attending Purple Heart ceremonies. At his suggestion, the local Blue Star Mothers of America chapter began holding an annual ceremony in late December to remember the troops serving overseas.

“He said, ‘Don't forget the troops at Christmas.' He was very adamant about that,” said Chris Peche, who in 2004 helped organize the annual event, now held each year at the Alamo.

In April, Howard traveled, as he often did, to Iraq and Afghanistan to talk to U.S. troops about service. Just two months ago, he visited troops in Germany, Bosnia and Kosovo.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.mysanantonio.com/military/80023787.html[/url]

Excellent thread, thank you for posting it. RIP Colonel Howard. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3417565]Excellent thread, thank you for posting it. RIP Colonel Howard. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.[/QUOTE]

+1 You're an amazing man, Colonel. To get all those medals during such an anti-military time at Vietnam. Wow, what an unsung hero. Rest in peace.

I'm not going to be political but it's interesting how much more the military is valued here in Texas. We have so many bases--Ft. Hood in Killeen, all the air force & army bases in San Antonio, etc. When I lived in Boston, I never saw any soldiers and no one spoke about the military. Here I see soldiers all the time, especially in the airport traveling to the bases.

A great big THANK YOU to all the men and women who are serving or who have served in our armed forces.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Lone Star Lady;3417574]I'm not going to be political but it's interesting how much more the military is valued here in Texas.[/QUOTE]

If it were true, it might be interesting.

Jets Insider VIP
    From my family, a heartfelt THANK YOU and may God bless.

Thank you for posting this. Wondreing why I had to learn of his passing on a JETS message board and not my newspaper or local TV/radio news?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    RIP....[IMG]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9062/avatar14348.jpg[/IMG]

Rookie
    This is sad news,R.I.P.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqT54C3pNpI[/url]

Rip Sir. Thanks for your service and dedication. one of the very special people in our great country.
    Thanks for posting.

Thank you, Equilibrium. What a wonderful piece to read amidst the gratitude of Christmas.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

RIP

Equilibrium that was a very fitting tribute, thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

May you Rest In Peace,Col. Thanks for the service and your continual perservence to fight the good fight.

A real life Rambo.

America Has lost a TRUE HERO, R.I.P. Sir, our debt to you can never be repaid all we can offer is our sincere gratitude

Jets Insider VIP
    bump - 'cuz it's deserved

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;3417491]I just want to mention the passing of Robert Howard, A Special Forces operator during the Vietnam War and inspiration who I had the priviledge of meeting in the course of my career several times, died at age 70.

He was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times and won it in 1971. He won multiple Silver Star and Distinguished Service Crosses. He fought in the secret wars in Cambodia and Laos in addition to South Vietnam. His operation included covert POW/MIA search missions in these countries with the Special Observation Group (SOG)- the Army's Special Forces long range recon command.

Offered many times to return home, he refused and ended up serving 5 tours of duty in Southeast Asia. SOG teams were 5 man SF elements with 5-10 indigenous Vietnamese ethnic minority fighters who infiltrated Cambodia and Laos to search for POW-MIA's and report on and disrupt enemy logistics. They often would be left alone for 1-2 weeks at at time by themselves and the casualty rate for SOG teams often reached 50 to even 100% at times.

When I first met him, his modesty was his foremost trait and yet his extraordinary force of will that drove him to fight and challenge the odds always seemed just beeath the surface. His passion and dedication to this country and its forces was so evident, he travelled often to Iraq and Afghanistan to advise and inspire a new generation of servicemen.

I just wanted to post this to note the passing of a great man who in an era of passion and domestic animosity that Vietnam took place in, deserved more recognition than he received, especially since he can easily claim the mantle of America's most decorated soldier.

RIP.

For more information on Howard, here is his Wiki entry:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Howard[/url][/QUOTE]

We owe guys like this everything. We are not the country we are without people like this. I am just afraid the people in charge these days are doing everything they can to reverse the work of heroes like Mr. Howard. RIP

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Peebag;3426817]bump - 'cuz it's deserved[/QUOTE]

My vote for "Bump of the year"

Good archivin, Peebag.