Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Graham v. Jerry Hughes

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandon Graham v. Jerry Hughes

Both are highly regarded 3-4 OLB prospects and one I feel will be available in the high second. Hughes seems like the classic fluid rusher who is a terror off the edge. Graham seems like a extremely powerful rusher who has a non-stop motor. I guess what worries me about him is he is pretty big for a 3-4 OLB (like gholston was coming out) and doesn't seem like he can beat people around the edge. But then again James Harrison is pretty huge and has a similar style. What are people's take on both guys?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon Graham will definitely remind Michigan faithful of Lamar Woodley. Woodley is big for a 3-4 OLB, but he can do it all.

I actually have Graham rated as a first round pick, even though he is going in the 2nd it seems. I think he needs more pass rushing moves, but a lot of pass rushers develop that in the NFL.

I love his motor, and his production, 9 sacks was really impressive because defenses game planned for him in every game. There was no one that was good in that front seven except him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3417935]Both are highly regarded 3-4 OLB prospects and one I feel will be available in the high second. Hughes seems like the classic fluid rusher who is a terror off the edge. Graham seems like a extremely powerful rusher who has a non-stop motor. I guess what worries me about him is he is pretty big for a 3-4 OLB (like gholston was coming out) and doesn't seem like he can beat people around the edge. But then again James Harrison is pretty huge and has a similar style. What are people's take on both guys?[/QUOTE]

If Hughes is available in the 2nd round, I would look into trading up.

I like both players, but I like Hughes' size and athleticism better. Graham will definitely be a productive player though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The story you don't know if you don't read about it is that Graham, for all his production, actually had a completely unbelievable DROUGHT of sacks that was caused by freak chance early in the season. He was getting tremendous pressure but the secondary was so bad that sacks kept being avoided by split seconds. It is imperative that a team that runs a 3-4 and needs a pass rusher drafts Graham if they find him there in the last quarter of round one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;3418016]The story you don't know if you don't read about it is that Graham, for all his production, actually had a completely unbelievable DROUGHT of sacks that was caused by freak chance early in the season. He was getting tremendous pressure but the secondary was so bad that sacks kept being avoided by split seconds. It is imperative that a team that runs a 3-4 and needs a pass rusher drafts Graham if they find him there in the last quarter of round one.[/QUOTE]

I seriously think one of them will be available in the high second. After hearing what people have had to say it seems that they both have the same potential, so my idea would be to trade down to the high second and acquire picks for this year and/or next.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hughes is probably the better athlete, but Graham is no slouch in that category.

I would pick Graham for the intangible reasons though:

- Michigan has been a factory for 3-4 teams in recent years, and Graham is arguably the best of the pass rushers they've produced.

- Graham was also an elite prospect in HS.

- I trust the people at Michigan to teach proper technique, and I think Graham will be more pro ready.

TBH, they're pretty damn even but I'll take the guy from Michigan...though this is probably the last draft I say that for until they get rid of RR.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3418083]Hughes is probably the better athlete, but Graham is no slouch in that category.

I would pick Graham for the intangible reasons though:

- Michigan has been a factory for 3-4 teams in recent years, and Graham is arguably the best of the pass rushers they've produced.

- Graham was also an elite prospect in HS.

- I trust the people at Michigan to teach proper technique, and I think Graham will be more pro ready.

TBH, they're pretty damn even but I'll take the guy from Michigan...[B]though this is probably the last draft I say that for until they get rid of RR[/B].[/QUOTE]

:huh: lost me there

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3418089]:huh: lost me there[/QUOTE]

I don't like Rich Rodriguez, and I have therefore assumed the tough, stout, well coached DL/front 7 guys they pump out will all turn into pansies. Undersized pansies.

Mind you, I have no idea who they've recruited on the defensive side of the ball. I don't even know if this is actually the last draft I'll say that for, but I do know I don't like Rodriguez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3418103]I don't like Rich Rodriguez, and I have therefore assumed the tough, stout, well coached DL/front 7 guys they pump out will all turn into pansies. Undersized pansies.

Mind you, I have no idea who they've recruited on the defensive side of the ball. I don't even know if this is actually the last draft I'll say that for, but I do know I don't like Rodriguez.[/QUOTE]

Lol my bad I thought RR = Rex Ryan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Graham is rumored to be an absolute workout warrior. I read that he benches close to 500 and runs in the 4.6s... I don't know, with that in mind and looking at Woodley's success he could be taken at the end of the first. Love him as a prospect and he would be perfect for our defense. He also fits the mold of Rex Ryan guys with a high motor and a nasty demeanor to his play...
    Last edited by Flaming Mo; 12-26-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    like Graham as a football player but at barely 6-0.5 he will only fit certain schemes whereas Hughes is slightly taller and faster and could play multiple positions...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3419256]like Graham as a football player but at barely 6-0.5 he will only fit certain schemes whereas Hughes is slightly taller and faster and could play multiple positions...[/QUOTE]

Well, with us his position would be OLB where I don't see his height as a problem at all. Look at Pittsburgh with Woodley (officially 6-2, just like Graham) and Harrison (6-0) as their edge rushers.

In the end I would be absolutely thrilled to get either Hughes or Graham...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally give me the faster more athletic guy, we have too many slower OLB on this team.

Jerry Hughes has a non stop motor and top intangibles too, I want him in round 1. We need a pass rusher and I think Hughes would fit in Rex Ryans defense and be the Terrell Suggs type. He could develop him into a complete player as he can drop into coverage and rush the passer.

I really like Hughes, hes always around the ball and constantly brings pressure on the QB. Hes also plays the game with passion and intensity. He would fit in here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;3423105]Personally give me the faster more athletic guy, we have too many slower OLB on this team.

Jerry Hughes has a non stop motor and top intangibles too, I want him in round 1. We need a pass rusher and I think Hughes would fit in Rex Ryans defense and be the Terrell Suggs type. He could develop him into a complete player as he can drop into coverage and rush the passer.

I really like Hughes, hes always around the ball and constantly brings pressure on the QB. Hes also plays the game with passion and intensity. He would fit in here.[/QUOTE]

What do you guys think needs more help? the offense or the defense? I think the only way we can even consider going defense in round one would be if we signed someone like Miles Austin. Mark needs someone that can make plays, and can actually catch. I can see that every time Braylon drops the ball, Marks confidence decreases. I think we give Edwards 1 year to prove himself but still either sign Austin to replace him in 2011 or draft Bryant or Tate in round 1. We can go defense in round 2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=raysdaone;3423110]What do you guys think needs more help? the offense or the defense? I think the only way we can even consider going defense in round one would be if we signed someone like Miles Austin. Mark needs someone that can make plays, and can actually catch. I can see that every time Braylon drops the ball, Marks confidence decreases. I think we give Edwards 1 year to prove himself but still either sign Austin to replace him in 2011 or draft Bryant or Tate in round 1. We can go defense in round 2.[/QUOTE]

If we could draft a new OC i'd be all for it lol. But besides that I think what we need on offense most is depth on the lines. If we do go offense I would want to grab Damian Williams or Dez Bryant if they were there. Possibly Tate but at that point give me Hughes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3423155]If we could draft a new OC i'd be all for it lol. But besides that I think what we need on offense most is depth on the lines. If we do go offense I would want to grab Damian Williams or Dez Bryant if they were there. Possibly Tate but at that point give me Hughes.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Tate play? hes better than Damian Williams. And Hughes is believed to be a 2nd round pick anyways. In the off-season the two players I want are Dumervil and Miles Austin. If we do that you can do w.e. you want in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;3423105]Personally give me the faster more athletic guy, we have too many slower OLB on this team.

I really like Hughes, hes always around the ball and constantly brings pressure on the QB. Hes also plays the game with passion and intensity. He would fit in here.[/QUOTE]

I like Hughes too but Brandon Graham is not slow by any means and he has just as good a production, intangibles and passion as Hughes. He also played LB in HS, lined up as a DE in the 3-4 which gives him a lot of versatility and roles for Ryan's defense. Here are the highlights of his senior year...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfcytu6ItI[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=raysdaone;3423218]Have you seen Tate play? hes better than Damian Williams. And Hughes is believed to be a 2nd round pick anyways. In the off-season the two players I want are Dumervil and Miles Austin. If we do that you can do w.e. you want in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Lots of teams want Dumerville and Austin. I highly doubt the Jets land both of them. Probably won't sign either one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    yesterday's Colts game as exhibit A:

when Payton is in the game he gets the ball out on time or earlier, exactly to the 1 open man - he gets hit but never sacked.

when Painter is in the game, he has the same OL, but doesn't get the ball out and gets creamed. the offense can't function and the defense feasts.

Same defense, same OL... different QB made the difference.

my point? I don't know that drafting a stud DE is such a good move... or even if they get a good one that it will increase the sack numbers against a Payton, Brady or Brees.

Calvin Pace is a pretty good player. Bryan Thomas is out there blocking extra points. Gholston has a small fortune coming to him and is still 23.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=raysdaone;3423218]Have you seen Tate play? hes better than Damian Williams. And Hughes is believed to be a 2nd round pick anyways. In the off-season the two players I want are Dumervil and Miles Austin. If we do that you can do w.e. you want in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Tate drops a lot of catchable throws.....Williams doesn't....

[I]"Hughes is believed to be a 2nd round pick anyways"[/I] link??