Thread: George Michael, Host of "Sports Machine" dies

JetsInsider.com Legend

George Michael, Host of "Sports Machine" dies

Rememeber this guy?

[url]http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091224&content_id=7854384&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb[/url]

Host of 'Sports Machine' Michael passes
    Broadcasting pioneer hosted long-running highlights show

Sportscaster George Michael passed away on Thursday morning after a lengthy bout with leukemia. He was 70.

Michael was a mainstay of the Washington, D.C., sports media scene and made his name nationally with the syndicated "George Michael Sports Machine," a weekly highlights show.

Michael was surrounded by family and friends when he died from complications of chronic lymphocytic leukemia at Washington's Sibley Memorial Hospital.

"The Washington Nationals and the Lerner family join all of the Washington community and sports fans nationally in mourning the loss of legendary sportscaster George Michael," the Nationals said Thursday in a statement.

"He was not only an icon in sports in the Nation's Capital, but he was also a pioneer in the sports broadcasting world with his use of game highlights during his nationally syndicated program 'The George Michael Sports Machine.' Our deepest affection and condolences are with the Michael family in their time of grief."

The prototype for "Sports Machine" was launched in 1980 as a late-night local feature shortly after Michael's arrival at WRC-TV in Washington. In 1984, it became the first nationally syndicated sports highlights show, ultimately airing in 194 U.S. markets and 10 foreign countries. The show ran until March 2007, when cutbacks at WRC and Michael's health issues led to the end of the show's run.

"He waged his battle against cancer with the same drive and determination that made him a one-of-a-kind in the broadcasting industry," the Michael family said in a statement. "Whether it was covering a sports story, working on his horse farm, or spending time with family and friends, he approached everything in life with passion."

Michael's family said plans for a memorial service are not yet complete. He is survived by Patricia, his wife of 31 years, his daughter, Michelle Allen, and his son, Brad.

My first impression was "When did George Michael ever host the Sports Machine?"

Then I realized this wasn't the guy from Wham!

:O

RIP

JetsInsider.com Legend
    A DC Area Legend.

Not sure why, because he was horribad.

But still sad to see a local who was, by all reports, a decent man, pass.

RIP.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I absolutely remember this guy...he used to punch the little glowing thingy to start his clips...

Sad. RIP.

He was on at a weird time... wasn't it at like 11:35 on Sunday night? And now we got Francesser to replace him in the NY market. :(

All Pro
    For some strange reason, I used to watch this guy all the time as a kid...he was my source of NFL highlights. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3418256]He was on at a weird time... wasn't it at like 11:35 on Sunday night? :([/QUOTE]

Yup, he was like the once-a-week Warner Wolf. I remember him very well from my childhood as I tried to stay up past my bedtime to see the weekend highlights.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3418364]Yup, he was like the once-a-week Warner Wolf. I remember him very well from my childhood as I tried to stay up past my bedtime to see the weekend highlights.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this guy was way ahead of his time.

I remember thinking....Wow, I can see the highlights from ALL the games...I thought is was the greatest idea ever.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3418256]He was on at a weird time... wasn't it at like 11:35 on Sunday night? And now we got Francesser to replace him in the NY market. :([/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3418364]Yup, he was like the once-a-week Warner Wolf. I remember him very well from my childhood as I tried to stay up past my bedtime to see the weekend highlights.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=FF2;3418571]Yeah, this guy was way ahead of his time.

I remember thinking....Wow, I can see the highlights from ALL the games...I thought is was [B]the greatest idea ever[/B].[/QUOTE]

Damn, LOVED that show. Tried never to miss it, ALL the highlights on one show.

What a GREAT idea--he should have gotten royalties for it. :yes:

RIP.

[QUOTE=FF2;3418571]Yeah, this guy was way ahead of his time.

I remember thinking....Wow, I can see the highlights from ALL the games...I thought is was the greatest idea ever.[/QUOTE]

I always felt like my weekend was officially over after watching the Sports Machine. I still love that he had the hokey "machine", like it actually did something. He was a true pioneer, who realized fans were interested in more than just their local teams.

Banned
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3418256]He was on at a weird time... wasn't it at like 11:35 on Sunday night? And now we got Francesser to replace him in the NY market. :([/QUOTE]

Unlike Francesa Sports Machine's Michael actually had an energy and passion for sports and wasn't obsessed with trying to be right about everything.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3422027][B]I always felt like my weekend was officially over after watching the Sports Machine[/B]. I still love that he had the hokey "machine", like it actually did something. He was a true pioneer, who realized fans were interested in more than just their local teams.[/QUOTE]

Exactly :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If I'm thinking of the right guy, I believe Michael was a night-time DJ on WABC in N.Y. in the 1970s, when it was still a music station, and he also did color commentary on Islanders t.v. broadcasts alongside Tim Ryan. That was just before the Jiggs McDonald-Ed Westphal era started for Islanders games.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3423469]If I'm thinking of the right guy, I believe Michael was a night-time DJ on WABC in N.Y. in the 1970s, when it was still a music station, and he also did color commentary on Islanders t.v. broadcasts alongside Tim Ryan. That was just before the Jiggs McDonald-Ed Westphal era started for Islanders games.[/QUOTE]

that's the guy- big time DJ on WABC and did the Icelanders games on WOR 9....that Sportsmachine show was just awful....nothing came close to Bill Mazza on Sports Extra...