Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Urban Meyer's destination?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Section 8
    Posts
    1,037

    Urban Meyer's destination?

    Any guesses where Meyer ends up next?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by FauxJet07 View Post
    Any guesses where Meyer ends up next?
    Florida?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    Florida?
    Resigning for health reasons...

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    N.Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,855
    I get the feeling that the NCAA is starting to look at his program with a sharper eye. That is when those guys start looking at their next job. But that would be the ONLY reason for him to leave. He has the pick of the litter in a the best football recruiting state in the country, big money, big rep, all with minimum sweat, and he could retire their in 20 years and be governor.

    Why give all that up to work in a league that's has a 11 month work schedule, the cap, the draft, and coaches with life spans longer than 6 years are the exception

  5. #5
    It seems like he's done with coaching. Or at least like he's taking a break for a few years. Maybe down the line he'll take a job with less stress. It is shocking to hear though.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,601
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken View Post
    I get the feeling that the NCAA is starting to look at his program with a sharper eye. That is when those guys start looking at their next job. But that would be the ONLY reason for him to leave. He has the pick of the litter in a the best football recruiting state in the country, big money, big rep, all with minimum sweat, and he could retire their in 20 years and be governor.

    Why give all that up to work in a league that's has a 11 month work schedule, the cap, the draft, and coaches with life spans longer than 6 years are the exception
    He cites health reasons. We all sit here and post and talk about commitment etc...

    These guys work 18 a day. In the office at 5 am home at 9 pm.

    I take him at his word, he needs a year or two off or god forbid, has health issues.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Barnegat,NJ
    Posts
    704
    Bring back "The Old Ball Coach"

  8. #8
    Any ideas for new head coaches?

    They're getting a big name, so let's pretty much rule out assistants. First name that comes to my head is Greg Schiano. He's been in Florida before as Miami DC and has done a great job at Rutgers.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Barnegat,NJ
    Posts
    704
    I have a feeling he will be back!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Spurrier

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Stoops

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,706
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken View Post
    I get the feeling that the NCAA is starting to look at his program with a sharper eye. That is when those guys start looking at their next job. But that would be the ONLY reason for him to leave. He has the pick of the litter in a the best football recruiting state in the country, big money, big rep, all with minimum sweat, and he could retire their in 20 years and be governor.

    Why give all that up to work in a league that's has a 11 month work schedule, the cap, the draft, and coaches with life spans longer than 6 years are the exception
    That is a terrible, terrible post on multiple levels.

    Every report out there is stating that he is leaving due to health reasons. Even the biggest snake in the grass head coach would not lie about something like that just to try and get another job. If he wanted another job, he could just pack his bags and leave. What if it is a life threatining illness he is battling?

    And the second part, which is just as equally rediculous, is that you suggest that he would be an eyeing an NFL job. Who in the hell in the NFL would be looking at Urban Meyer as a Coach? He runs about the farthest thing from an NFL system as you'll find. If Spurriers offense never transitioned to the NFL, Urban Meyers wouldn't stand a chance.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    Any ideas for new head coaches?

    They're getting a big name, so let's pretty much rule out assistants. First name that comes to my head is Greg Schiano. He's been in Florida before as Miami DC and has done a great job at Rutgers.
    I can't believe this- total shocker. One of the worst days I've had as a fan of Florida. He was the best coach Florida ever had, and it only took him four years.

    He was going to be a legend.

    With that being said, I think UF goes back to Utah, and with a strong recommendation from Meyer, hires Kyle Whittingham to be their next coach.

  13. #13
    He was hospitalized on December 6th for chest pains, so it's clearly related to that.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    Any ideas for new head coaches?

    They're getting a big name, so let's pretty much rule out assistants. First name that comes to my head is Greg Schiano. He's been in Florida before as Miami DC and has done a great job at Rutgers.
    purely speculation but Gruden.....

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by patsfanken View Post
    I get the feeling that the NCAA is starting to look at his program with a sharper eye. That is when those guys start looking at their next job. But that would be the ONLY reason for him to leave. He has the pick of the litter in a the best football recruiting state in the country, big money, big rep, all with minimum sweat, and he could retire their in 20 years and be governor.

    Why give all that up to work in a league that's has a 11 month work schedule, the cap, the draft, and coaches with life spans longer than 6 years are the exception
    Since I can't attack posters, this post was really ignorant.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,706
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    Any ideas for new head coaches?

    They're getting a big name, so let's pretty much rule out assistants. First name that comes to my head is Greg Schiano. He's been in Florida before as Miami DC and has done a great job at Rutgers.
    I think the Gator universe would explode if they hired Greg Schiano as their next coach.

    Bob Stoops would be their first call I would imagine. Regardless of how it ended up, he at least listned to ND, even if it were very briefly, so he may be open to leave Oklahoma. Florida could definetly be a job to lure him away.

    Their current DC just took the job at Louisville, maybe he could pack his bags and turn right back around.

    To be honest, just about any current Head Coach, minus maybe guys like Carroll and Mack Brown and a select few others, would at least have to listen to Florida, because Florida job is a gravy gig.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,601
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    Any ideas for new head coaches?

    They're getting a big name, so let's pretty much rule out assistants. First name that comes to my head is Greg Schiano. He's been in Florida before as Miami DC and has done a great job at Rutgers.
    Mangini?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I think the Gator universe would explode if they hired Greg Schiano as their next coach.

    Bob Stoops would be their first call I would imagine. Regardless of how it ended up, he at least listned to ND, even if it were very briefly, so he may be open to leave Oklahoma. Florida could definetly be a job to lure him away.

    Their current DC just took the job at Louisville, maybe he could pack his bags and turn right back around.

    To be honest, just about any current Head Coach, minus maybe guys like Carroll and Mack Brown and a select few others, would at least have to listen to Florida, because Florida job is a gravy gig.
    Living up to the expectations at UF is not "gravy". And Urban's health shows it.

    Stoops shot UF down last time. I wouldn't mind if something has changed with Stoops, but Strong's not going to leave Louisville.

    I think Whittingham makes sense.

  19. #19
    Health reasons my ass.

    NCAA must be coming down on the program.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I can't believe this- total shocker. One of the worst days I've had as a fan of Florida. He was the best coach Florida ever had, and it only took him four years.

    He was going to be a legend.

    With that being said, I think UF goes back to Utah, and with a strong recommendation from Meyer, hires Kyle Whittingham to be their next coach.
    I think Wittingham is a good possibility. Another one that Lou Holtz brought up which I think is a good one is Dan Mullen. He was OC at Florida under Meyer but left this season to coach Miss St. But I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to come back.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us