Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer's destination?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    I think Wittingham is a good possibility. Another one that Lou Holtz brought up which I think is a good one is Dan Mullen. He was OC at Florida under Meyer but left this season to coach Miss St. But I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to come back.
    No, he's too unproven. I can't see UF hiring someone that doesn't have a proven track record as a head coach.

Whittingham makes too much sense. And Florida needs to move quickly to salvage their recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Health reasons my ass.

NCAA must be coming down on the program.
    I tend to think it's a combination.

He could use a break, they're looking into the program, and it's a rebuilding year as he's gonna lose a ton of players.

If he's not planning on heading to the pros, Kirk Ferentz would be a good guy to make a play for. Tough to compete for it all out of Iowa in the Big Ten.

I say Meyer makes the jump to the pros.

Not knowing how serious his health problems are,I say he sits out 2 to 3 years,then goes back to coaching.

All Pro
    Maybe he has inner turmoil like BB?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Living up to the expectations at UF is not "gravy". And Urban's health shows it.

Stoops shot UF down last time. I wouldn't mind if something has changed with Stoops, but Strong's not going to leave Louisville.

I think Whittingham makes sense.
    I think Chris Peterson of Boise State would be a better fit.....very much the out of the box, inventive type of coach UF has had in the past....plus he beat Stoops when no one gave him a chance....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Maybe he has inner turmoil like BB?
    lol

I think Spurrier makes alot of sense...

Recruiting is well on its way so you have to think it will be a current head coach and you want someone who you know can coach the SEC... that's why I think Spurrier is an obvious choice... Florida has so much talent so it's a gravy job but their are high expectations and hard shoes to fill...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    I think Chris Peterson of Boise State would be a better fit.....very much the out of the box, inventive type of coach UF has had in the past....plus he beat Stoops when no one gave him a chance....
    Peterson's solid but he has no ties to the program whatsoever. That really would be out of the box. Not saying he wouldn't be good, my money's just on Whittingham.

Meyer's going to recommend Whittingham, who will run the same spread option Meyer has. I think have some semblance of continuity will go a long way when there's been so much turmoil this off-season.

Both are young, up-and-comers in the coaching rank who at the same time have proven track records as head coaches. They would both build up the program.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeygina View Post
    I think Spurrier makes alot of sense...

Recruiting is well on its way so you have to think it will be a current head coach and you want someone who you know can coach the SEC... that's why I think Spurrier is an obvious choice... Florida has so much talent so it's a gravy job but their are high expectations and hard shoes to fill...
    Again, not gravy. The expectations and competition are second to none.

Spurrier's over the hill. He's a Gator Legend, but not what the program needs anymore.

All League
    +1.

I would prefer Patterson at TCU over Wittingham as well if this were my team, but that's just my preference.

An interesting note, Mort is reporting that the condition is not life threating, which is a plus, but he also says that Meyer will stay on with the program in some other sort of capacity.

The new coach will have to be able to accept that Meyer will still be there involved with the program, so it makes sense that it would be someone who has worked with him before, so one of the Coordinators or Wittingham makes a lot of sense.

P.S. What about Utah beating Bama last year?

Whatever. Both are awesome.

Heck, I wish Patterson didn't just sign that fat extension down at TCU. He wouldn't be half bad either.

These are the guys Florida should go after. Not bringing in NFL guys like Shannahan or Gruden or bringing Spurrier back.

All League
    Again, not gravy. The expectations and competition are second to none.

Spurrier's over the hill. He's a Gator Legend, but not what the program needs anymore.
    No one is questioning that the expectations are high and the SEC is a tough conference, but the Florida program has built in advantages that 98% of other schools don't have. Those advantages are why they got Urban Meyer in the first place.

I doubt he's one to fake a health condition to get out from Florida (Or that anybody is that big of a scumbag)....so I hope all the best for him and his family.

With that said, wow, what a shocking piece of news.

Florida should have their pick of coaches, so they'll be fine.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

P.S. What about Utah beating Bama last year?

Whatever. Both are awesome.

Heck, I wish Patterson didn't just sign that fat extension down at TCU. He wouldn't be half bad either.

These are the guys Florida should go after. Not bringing in NFL guys like Shannahan or Gruden or bringing Spurrier back.
    that game showed in large part what Andre Smith meant to Bama....Peterson gets a lot out of a little at Boise....Willingham gets better athletes at Utah and in many instances gets mormons who are overaged...not disparaging Willingham but think Peterson is incredibly underrated...

that game showed in large part what Andre Smith meant to Bama....Peterson gets a lot out of a little at Boise....Willingham gets better athletes at Utah and in many instances gets mormons who are overaged...not disparaging Willingham but think Peterson is incredibly underrated...
    Impressive, nonetheless. Florida was able to handle 'Bama without Harvin...

I agree Peterson's great, I'm just arguing Whittingham's more likely. I won't be disappointed if Peterson's #1 on Foley's list though...

Jets Insider VIP
    Shocking news.

Taking Meyer at his word (no reason to doubt), it's crazy that a 45 yr old non-obese man would have to retire because of health reasons. You hope it's something he can medically control so he can get back to work in a couple of years.

As noted, he was hospitilized earlier this month because of heart issues.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    maybe he is waiting for U of M to fire Rich Rod, and then he can come there and kick OSUs butt......lol

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.

Meyer has been to the hospital at least twice since suffering chest pains after the SEC title game, a Florida source told ESPN. The heart problems are stress related, not congenital, a source close to the situation told ESPN.

The problem is not life threatening, a Florida source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The same source said Meyer will remain in Gainesville in a non-coaching role to be defined later.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post

An interesting note, Mort is reporting that the condition is not life threating, which is a plus, but he also says that Meyer will stay on with the program in some other sort of capacity.
    I know people who cover the team- one who now covers the fish- evidently Meyer was told after his first month at UF he best slow down a bit or he was going to burn himself out...

very shocking indeed....i dont know how serious his health issues are but if they werent to serious i doubt he would step down...guy has it made at florida.