Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Urban Meyer's destination?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unconfirmed rumors that he had a heart attack during the season. Sounds ridiculous, but just shows the severity of it.

And the Bob Stoops rumors are swirling...he was the #1 target before Meyer. Is he finally ready to leave Oklahoma?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow did not see this coming....i heard its not health related but other stories say it is. to do this so late in the recruiting process is cruel as well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think for a second that someone like Urban Meyer would be playing games to try and set himself up for an NFL job. I hope it's not something where he's in imminent danger and is just taking wise precaution.

Having said that, this means that Nick Saban is king of the SEC now and everyone will be chasing Bama for the foreseeable future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    I don't think for a second that someone like Urban Meyer would be playing games to try and set himself up for an NFL job. I hope it's not something where he's in imminent danger and is just taking wise precaution.

Having said that, this means that Nick Saban is king of the SEC now and everyone will be chasing Bama for the foreseeable future.
    Until Saban starts looking for his next job next year.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I can't believe this- total shocker. One of the worst days I've had as a fan of Florida. He was the best coach Florida ever had, and it only took him four years.

He was going to be a legend.

With that being said, I think UF goes back to Utah, and with a strong recommendation from Meyer, hires Kyle Whittingham to be their next coach.
    I am in total shock as well. When I got the notification I didn't believe it at first. Wow this is DEVASTATING.

I hope he recovers well and nobody should put their job over their health.

I think that Meyer will eventually come back to coach Florida in a few years. However, for now....I think we look to perhaps Bob Stoops...or....could we possibly....Spurrier?

Nonetheless a sad day for all UF students, alumni, and fans.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of candidates being floated around but most likely, IMO are...

1)Bob Stoops...AD Jeremy Foley's 1st choice back after Spurrier and then after Zook.
    2)Kyle Whittingham- Meyer's successor at Utah...
    3)Chris Peterson- Just a damn good coach...
    4)Dan Mullen- Meyer's offensive coordinator. Knows the Gators and had a decent, yet unspectacular first season at Miss. State
    5)Will Muschamp- seen one source that says he's high on Foley's list and has ties to the SEC...will he leave his job as Texas' head coach in waiting?
    6)Charlie Strong- didn't sign a contract yet with Louisville TECHNICALLY...kinda unlikely though.

I would be shocked if they brought an NFL guy in like Shannahan, Gruden, Mularkey or brought back Spurrier.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Until Saban starts looking for his next job next year.....
    Nah. Saban knows now that he's not cut out to be a head coach in the NFL and where's a step up from Alabama? Notre Dame? Saban would never go there. Michigan maybe? I doubt he'd go there either after coaching Michigan State. How about USC if the ride is coming to an end for Carroll? Not likely.

The man is 58 now. He's making a fortune and has complete control. He's got to settle somewhere for good finally. Might as well be Alabama.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    Nah. Saban knows now that he's not cut out to be a head coach in the NFL and where's a step up from Alabama? Notre Dame? Saban would never go there. Michigan maybe? I doubt he'd go there either after coaching Michigan State. How about USC if the ride is coming to an end for Carroll? Not likely.

The man is 58 now. He's making a fortune and has complete control. He's got to settle somewhere for good finally. Might as well be Alabama.
    People like that can't stay in one place for too long....he takes Alabama to a Title Game, they probably will win it, and then what? There's nowhere to go from there but down.

I'd be shocked if Saban was still in Alabama 5 years down the line....and it won't be because he's fired. It'll be because he's looking for his next challenge.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    People like that can't stay in one place for too long....he takes Alabama to a Title Game, they probably will win it, and then what? There's nowhere to go from there but down.

I'd be shocked if Saban was still in Alabama 5 years down the line....and it won't be because he's fired. It'll be because he's looking for his next challenge.
    I can see where looking at his career that would seem the case, and you can say it even more so with Urban Meyer as well (2 yrs at Bowling Green and 2 yrs at Utah before Florida), but like I noted previously...where's up from Alabama? He took the jobs at Michigan State and LSU because they're upper tier teams in their conferences and big paydays. He doesn't seem like a guy who is going to go to somewhere like Minnesota or Baylor because they're challenges.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    stole this off rivals...hilarous...

Doc... get in here and spin that record...

Confirmed Guest Speaker: Lane Kiffin

Performances by: Tim Mcgraw, The Beach Boys, Paul McCartney, Journey, Rick Astley, Inikamoze, Plies, The Jackson 4, and Willie Nelson

Tim Tebow on the one's and two's... but not the three's .. he cant count that high..

Urbans daughter will be having a charity hand job booth.

There will be a Brandon Spikes petting zoo... please dont feed him.

Riley Cooper Karaoke @ 8:30 (backstreet boy songs only)

Carlos Dunlap will be serving drinks at the open car... i mean bar...

Security provided by Ronnie Wilson, Leon Orr, Dee Weeb, Bubba Caldwell, and Reggie Lewis.

Cameron Newton will be checking in coats at the door (Disclaimer: we are not responsible for any lost or stolen goods)

Valet parking provided by Tony Joiner and Dorian Monroe with a money back guarantee they will get your vehicle back if it is towed or booted.

Refreshments provided by Jarvis Moss, Brandon James, and Percy Harvin. Make sure to try the "special brownies." There delicious!!!

Charity boxing contest between Avery Atkins and Taurean Charles (Being that no women are involved in this one, Vegas has yet to figure out where to place the line.

Bring your jorts and let the fun times begin!!!

Motto For the Night: "Top One Percent of the One Percent!!!"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    that game showed in large part what Andre Smith meant to Bama....Peterson gets a lot out of a little at Boise....Willingham gets better athletes at Utah and in many instances gets mormons who are overaged...not disparaging Willingham but think Peterson is incredibly underrated...
    And that game showed that Bama didn't care about anything than the NC that year. They didn't even want to be in this game...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FauxJet07 View Post
    Any guesses where Meyer ends up next?
    His living room. He's sick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Relocated to the NCAA Forum.

Please keep appropriate content in the appropriate Forum, especially on gameday.

Thank you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Florida coach Urban Meyer, who announced Saturday night that he would step down after coaching the Gators against Cincinnati in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day, is now having second thoughts about retirement, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com on Sunday.

Under a plan being discussed, Florida offensive coordinator Steve Adazzio would coach the Gators in the Sugar Bowl. Meyer, who cited health concerns as the reason for his retirement, would take a leave of absence and return to the team before the 2010 season.

However, a source close to the program told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Meyer would take a leave of absence for the entirety of the 2010 season. Adazzio would take over as interim coach for the season.

Meyer, who led the Gators to BCS national championships in 2006 and 2008, is scheduled to address media members in New Orleans at 4:30 p.m. Sunday.