Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Revis's coverage on Moss

Hall Of Fame

Thinking about Revis's coverage on Moss

If you think about it, it's not really a bad deal for the Pats. No Moss isn't getting the yards, but he's taking Revis out of the game by running him downfield, leaving Welker with the likes of our other d-backs.
    Who really cares if Moss isn't getting yards when Welker is getting them at will?

The Jets are still vulnerable against a good pass-blocking offensive line and a quality number two receiver, especially a deep threat who can take Revis downfield.

The Pats need someone on the other side of Moss with even 70% of Randy's talent.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3427073]If you think about it, it's not really a bad deal for the Pats. No Moss isn't getting the yards, but he's taking Revis out of the game by running him downfield, leaving Welker with the likes of our other d-backs.
    Who really cares if Moss isn't getting yards when Welker is getting them at will?

The Jets are still vulnerable against a good pass-blocking offensive line and a quality number two receiver, especially a deep threat who can take Revis downfield.[/QUOTE]

i'd rather have Revis cover Welker one on one if possible and then double up on Moss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Agreed, Moss really opens things up for the Pats offense.

Next season we need a better #2 corner. That should be a top priority this offseason. But I can't really complain about our pass defense, it was the best in the NFL this year and no other team was even close.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=batman10023;3427102]i'd rather have Revis cover Welker one on one if possible and then double up on Moss.[/QUOTE]

That's why I mentioned a good offensive line, and the Pats ol seems to be playing better than when we beat them. Anybody one on one on Welker is going to have a hard time staying with him across the middle. If Brady gets too much time, their passing game is almost impossible to stop. If we had just a little more of pass rush, and I know our pass rushing has been above average,
    I'd be willing to put Revis one on with Welker and let a couple guys keep an eye on Moss.

Gholston:mad:

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3427111]That's why I mentioned a good offensive line, and the Pats ol seems to be playing better than when we beat them. Anybody one on one on Welker is going to have a hard time staying with him across the middle. If Brady gets too much time, their passing game is almost impossible to stop. If we had just a little more of pass rush, and I know our pass rushing has been above average,
    I'd be willing to put Revis one on with Welker and let a couple guys keep an eye on Moss.

Gholston:mad:[/QUOTE]

yes, time for brady gets WW the catches. but would you rather have Revis on him or go with the disaster that occurred last game?

double Moss should hopefully limit the catches.

strong pass rush would help so your point makes sense.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3427073]
    The Jets are still vulnerable against a good pass-blocking offensive line and a quality number two receiver, especially a deep threat who can take Revis downfield.[/QUOTE]
    I don't completely understand this. Are you saying that if Moss wasn't so good / a deep threat, then Revis would cover *both* Moss and Welker? :)

If your point is that we have a huge drop off from #1 CB to #2 CB, well, then, no argument there... Lito has been teh suck IMO.

All Pro
    We should just bring in the Ghost to rip one of Welker's legs off. Or better yet, just tear off Brady's right arm. That should pretty much solve all the Jets problems.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3427122]I don't completely understand this. Are you saying that if Moss wasn't so good / a deep threat, then Revis would cover *both* Moss and Welker? :)

If your point is that we have a huge drop off from #1 CB to #2 CB, well, then, no argument there... Lito has been teh suck IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying that we're happy Revis has been shutting down Moss, but even though Moss isn't doing much, he's turning the game into a ten on ten game by taking Revis out of the game. They've lost Moss but still have Welker. We've lost Revis and have Shephard and the others. Like in chess, sometimes it's good to take a queen with a queen, depending on what other pieces are still on the board for both players. The Revis/Moss cancellation factor isn't necessarily bad for the Pats.

[QUOTE=batman10023;3427118]yes, time for brady gets WW the catches. but would you rather have Revis on him or go with the disaster that occurred last game?

double Moss should hopefully limit the catches.

strong pass rush would help so your point makes sense.[/QUOTE]

As Timmy said, this is not the same O-Line you played earlier in the year.

Light is back, Neal is back and Vollmer might be the steal of the last draft.

Getting to Brady is not so easy these days. No sacks in the last 3 games.

Veteran
    Many of us already know this, hopefully the CS will adjust accordingly. Moss is [B]NOT[/B] the #1 WR in New England. It is Welker. Put Revis on Welker until the Pats get inside the 15 yard line while double teaming Moss on the other side.. Then switch him to Moss. The Pats throw at Welker, Welker, Welker, and then when they reach the red zone...pretty boy looks for Moss in the back of the end zone. Make them throw to Watson, Aiken, or some other shmoe as much as possible and they are in big trouble.

Banned
    Who cares if Revis locks up Moss and Welker gets his 10+ catches, 150+ yards with 0 TD's? Moss is a player that can simply kill you and win the game, Welker cant. He's not that type of player. Tom Brady also makes Wes Welker ten times better than Welker really is.

Welker may pick up the tough 1st downs, Welker may average 9 catches per game this season for an average of 102 yards per game but guess what? He's no Randy Moss, he's not going up against elite #1 CB's and he only has 4 TD's on the season.

Since being with the Patriots, Randy Moss has 47 TD's since 2007. An average of 15.6 TD's per season. He's already at 13 this season.

Since being with the Patriots, Wes Welker only has 15 TD's since 2007. Thats an average of only 5 TD's per season and without Tom Brady, he would be half the player he is today with another team.

Tom Brady and Randy Moss open up the field for Wes Welker, it's not the other way around...Lets not get this situation confused and please, lets not act like putting Revis on Welker and then having to double cover Moss would be a better idea; because it's not. Moss would kill our Defense 4-5 times per game without Darrelle Revis matching him stride for stride.

If the Jets were to some how play the Patriots during the AFC Championship game; I want Revis on Moss...No questions asked.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 12-30-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3427139]Many of us already know this, hopefully the CS will adjust accordingly. Moss is [B]NOT[/B] the #1 WR in New England. It is Welker. Put Revis on Welker until the Pats get inside the 15 yard line while double teaming Moss on the other side.. Then switch him to Moss. The Pats throw at Welker, Welker, Welker, and then when they reach the red zone...pretty boy looks for Moss in the back of the end zone. Make them throw to Watson, Aiken, or some other shmoe as much as possible and they are in big trouble.[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting idea. Still I don't think anyone, even Revis, is staying with Welker across the middle of the field for two or three seconds. It's a lot harder to cover someone across the field then down it. You have so little time to react to a ten yard pass.

A real pass rush against Brady is the only hope.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3427143]

[B]Tom Brady and Randy Moss open up the field for Wes Welker, it's not the other way around[/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I said.

Still what everyone else is saying is interesting. Welker may not get touchdowns, but he gets first downs, and you're not getting touchdowns without first downs. Fifteen catches and 192 yards is certainly a very big deal.
    He basically did us in.

[QUOTE=MACPAC;3427138]As Timmy said, this is not the same O-Line you played earlier in the year.

Light is back, Neal is back and Vollmer might be the steal of the last draft.

Getting to Brady is not so easy these days. No sacks in the last 3 games.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you on this. but first we need to win a few games before this is even a potential consideration.

i'd be happy getting into the playoffs after the sucky middle season we had.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3427143]Who cares if Revis locks up Moss and Welker gets his 10+ catches, 150+ yards with 0 TD's? Moss is a player that can simply kill you and win the game, Welker cant. He's not that type of player. Tom Brady also makes Wes Welker ten times better than Welker really is.

Welker may pick up the tough 1st downs, Welker may average 9 catches per game this season for an average of 102 yards per game but guess what? He's no Randy Moss, he's not going up against elite #1 CB's and he only has 4 TD's on the season.

Since being with the Patriots, Randy Moss has 47 TD's since 2007. An average of 15.6 TD's per season. He's already at 13 this season.

Since being with the Patriots, Wes Welker only has 15 TD's since 2007. Thats an average of only 5 TD's per season and without Tom Brady, he would be half the player he is today with another team.

Tom Brady and Randy Moss open up the field for Wes Welker, it's not the other way around...Lets not get this situation confused and please, lets not act like putting Revis on Welker and then having to double cover Moss would be a better idea; because it's not. Moss would kill our Defense 4-5 times per game without Darrelle Revis matching him stride for stride.

If the Jets were to some how play the Patriots during the AFC Championship game; I want Revis on Moss...No questions asked.[/QUOTE]

do you have any stats to back up your comments?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=batman10023;3427159]do you have any stats to back up your comments?[/QUOTE]

After his eleven o'clock announcement that Rhodes would make the Pro Bowl, I'm afraid our friend is on double-secret probation with me.:D

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3427143]Who cares if Revis locks up Moss and Welker gets his 10+ catches, 150+ yards with 0 TD's? Moss is a player that can simply kill you and win the game, Welker cant. He's not that type of player. Tom Brady also makes Wes Welker ten times better than Welker really is.

Since being with the Patriots, Wes Welker only has 15 TD's since 2007. Thats an average of only 5 TD's per season and [B]without Tom Brady, he would be half the player he is today with another team.[/B]

If the Jets were to some how play the Patriots during the AFC Championship game; I want Revis on Moss...No questions asked.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Although I agree with the premise that you put your #1 CB on the opponents #1 reciever, your "facts" about Welker are pure sh!t.

[B]There's this:[/B]
    Quote: Despite being undrafted, Welker has been one of the most prolific players in NFL history. Only one player in NFL history, Gale Sayers, had more all-purpose yards in his first three NFL seasons than Welker did with the Dolphins; Welker holds the Dolphins' all-time records for total kickoff returns, kickoff return yardage, and total punt returns. Welker, who tied with T.J. Houshmandzadeh for the league lead in receptions in 2007, holds the three highest single season reception totals in Patriots history,[1] and is the only receiver in NFL history to record at least 110 receptions in three consecutive seasons.

He's an incredibly unique athlete even though at 5'9 he doesn't fit the mold. Look at his high school accomplishments:

[B]And this:[/B]
    Quote: At Heritage Hall, Welker was a prolific contributor on offense, defense, and special teams. As a running back, he scored 80 touchdowns (53 rushing and 27 receiving). As a defensive back, he had 581 tackles, 22 interceptions (three of which he returned for touchdowns), and nine fumble recoveries. As a kicker, he scored 35 field goals and 165 extra points; his longest field goal, 57 yards, actually exceeds the personal best of current Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski.

So Statz, sometimes you just gotta admit when you don't know squat:cool:.
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 12-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3427106]Agreed, Moss really opens things up for the Pats offense.

Next season we need a better #2 corner. That should be a top priority this offseason. But I can't really complain about our pass defense, it was the best in the NFL this year and no other team was even close.[/QUOTE]

+1
    Hopefully we will strengthen our secondary and bring in some guys who can generate a pass rush this offseason.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3427172]Wow. Although I agree with the premise that you put your #1 CB on the opponents #1 reciever, your "facts" about Welker are pure sh!t.

[B]There's this:[/B]
    Quote: Despite being undrafted, Welker has been one of the most prolific players in NFL history. [B]Only one player in NFL history, Gale Sayers, had more all-purpose yards in his first three NFL seasons than Welker did with the Dolphins;[/B] Welker holds the Dolphins' all-time records for total kickoff returns, kickoff return yardage, and total punt returns. [/QUOTE]

Exactly, and it wasn't because he was a good WR during his first 3 years in the league, because he wasn't. Welker may have been a great return man during his first 3 years in the league, but he was never considered a good WR, never, until Tom Brady.

Also: This is why I had you on ignore before your banning. For the simple fact, you have no idea what the hell your talking about when it comes to Football. We were talking about Welker as a WR, and for some reason, you started talking about Welker during his 1st 3 years...Why was that? Because Welker did NOTHING as a WR during his first 3 years (Without Tom Brady and Randy Moss).

During his first 3 seasons, Welker had 5090 return yards.

During his first 3 seasons, Welker only had 96 catches, 1121 yards and 1 freaking TD. LMAO. It's sad that I know more about Wes Welker and the Patriots than you do.

Since Welker has played with Brady and Moss, over the past 3 years he has 345 catches, 3676 yards, 15 TD's.

Exactly. Tom Brady and Randy Moss make Wes Welker. Just like I was saying before. And it's not the other way around. Never has been, never will be.