Thread: What does it mean to be a NY Jets fan, 40 years after one taste of glory?

All League

What does it mean to be a NY Jets fan, 40 years after one taste of glory?

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4782326"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=4782326[/URL]

[QUOTE]"The same old Jets?" asked Marty Lyons, who played all 11 of his NFL seasons as a defensive lineman with the Jets and now is a radio analyst for the team.

"That's part of being a fan. If you're not optimistic, you're still concerned, worried -- and rightfully so.

"I'm not a fan, so I'm optimistic. I'm excited about [coach] Rex Ryan and [quarterback] Mark Sanchez and the organization that [general manager] Mike Tannenbaum has put together. I don't think it's the same old Jets, but in a few days we'll find out what it's going to be."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Belichick resigned as coach in January 2000 five minutes before being introduced as Parcells' successor. And then Belichick joined the New England Patriots -- and created one of the league's great dynasties, winning three Super Bowls. Jets fans are tormented by the thought of what might have been.

"God, yeah," Klecko said. "He went up there and showed you what he was -- one of the best coaches in history. We got Eric Mangini."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"Defense gets you to the Super Bowl," Joe Klecko said. "With the run defense and [cornerback] Darrelle Revis, they can shut people down. The key to the whole thing is Sanchez.

"The rookie gives it away three, four times, and you lose games you should be winning. Rex says, 'Let's put the handcuffs on him,' and he's made fewer mistakes the last few games. If he does that, I think the Jets are somewhat of a lock.

"It's not just a shot, it's pretty well spoken for."[/QUOTE]

Great read about the history of the Jets, the current playoff situation for the Jets and the fear that is inside of us Jets fans and the worry of another "collapse"
    Last edited by bleedgreen03; 12-31-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Marty Lyons isn't a Jets fan? wtf?

Jets Insider VIP
    you don't like the team

root for someone else already, benigno for chrissake

but just stop whining and wallowing in self pity already

All League
    F everyone. I'm a fan of my Jets forever & I love it. Give me another 40 years. I'm ready for it.

All League
    [QUOTE=sg3;3427712]you don't like the team

root for someone else already, benigno for chrissake

but just stop whining and wallowing in self pity already[/QUOTE]

huh :huh:

who's whining and wallowing in self pity??...ESPN wrote the article and if you read it you'd be lying to yourself if you thought it was far off...if I didn't like the team I wouldn't be attending the game Sunday night in 15 degree weather with work at 7 in the morning, or I wouldn't have put 20k into PSL's to watch this team for the next 40 years or so...I am as confident as anyone that they will win this game Sunday...with a strong defense, running game and a passionate fan base screaming their heads off its going to be a tough game on the bengals...with that being said we still have a rookie qb who at times has been erratic and cost us games this season...the game should be a lot closer then people are expecting but there isn't a doubt in my mind the Jets will come out victorious and heading for the playoffs :yes:

Schluberator & Gadfly
    It takes tough, very tough, mental conditioning to be a Jets fan.....that and a lot of booze! :D

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3427729]It takes tough, very tough, mental conditioning to be a Jets fan.....that and a lot of booze! :D[/QUOTE]

I LOVE being a JET fan..........

most days anyway, and many times not on late Sunday's and Mondays.

But Tuesday to Saturday it's GREAT!

All League
    I've posted this a few times recently:

Being a Jets fan is to be riding an emotional roller coaster that you can never get off of.

All League
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3427738]I LOVE being a JET fan..........

most days anyway, and many times not on late Sunday's and Mondays.

But Tuesday to Saturday it's GREAT![/QUOTE]

better times are coming, they have to be...look at all the teams in the playoffs they are all lead by strong quarterback play...i am confident sanchez is going to grow into that franchise player for us that will have us contending for a longggg time

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3427747]I've posted this a few times recently:

Being a Jets fan is to be riding an emotional roller coaster that you can never get off of.[/QUOTE]

when the time comes that we win a sb, will anyone appreciate it and enjoy it more then JETS fans will??...i think not

Jets Insider VIP
    GREAT TIMES ARE COMING

at least THREE Lombardi's in the next 10 seasons

PUT IT IN THE BOOKS

[QUOTE=sg3;3427759]GREAT TIMES ARE COMING

at least THREE Lombardi's in the next 10 seasons

PUT IT IN THE BOOKS[/QUOTE]

NOBODY will ever question your enthusiasm.

All League
    [QUOTE=bleedgreen03;3427753]when the time comes that we win a sb, will anyone appreciate it and enjoy it more then JETS fans will??...i think not[/QUOTE]

Damn straight!
    :rockon:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3427765]NOBODY will ever question your enthusiasm.[/QUOTE]

in this case I AM SPEAKING THE TRUTH

AT LEAST THREE

GUARANTEED

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=shakin318;3427692]Marty Lyons isn't a Jets fan? wtf?[/QUOTE]

I think he was separating himself as a media guy covering the team.

I always describe being a Jets fan as every week, a couple of dudes drag you into an alley, kick you in the nads, punch you in the face, break your nose, rupture your spleen then run away. 'Cept, every once in a while they hand you two large before they run away.

Sounds like this; hey ow ow ow ow ow ow oh oh oh ow ow hey great, two grand in new bills!

Loss: hey ow ow ow ow ow ow ow my nads hey oh ow ow ow. ow.

ow.

Undrafted Free Agent
    You could be a Bills or Vikings fan and not have one moment of glory. When the Jets go to the big game, they win it. It's coming soon and we'll be 2-0.