Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The #2 Cornerback Situation

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The #2 Cornerback Situation

Whenever you have a shutdown player like Revis on one side…the other side is going to get picked on. It's just the nature of the beast. Now Lito is a 2 time Pro-Bowler…he clearly has the skills to play the position. However, I couldn't help but notice that he was getting abused all game on Sunday. Of course, Manning abuses EVERY cornerback...hell I don't think Revis played a particularly great game. But for a 4th round rookie from BYU to burn a 2 time pro-bowler all game long...it's just disconcerting.

I think most would agree that using a first round pick next year would be excessive. We are going to have BIG money tied up with Revis--we can't afford another high-priced CB. The consensus seems to be: Let's grab a 2nd round CB to fill Lito's spot. And I agree that's probably wise (considering Lito's financial situation).

It's bizarre because we have, by far and away, the best pass defense in the NFL. Yet we are "thin" at cornerback. I think we'll be ok if we have Lowery and a 2nd round draft pick as our #2 and #3 corners, with a guy like Strickland also rotating in.

My question: Is Lito playing that bad? Won't whoever you stick there get picked on? Is Lito playing well enough that we should offer him a reduced salary for next season?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manning was lighting Lito up Sunday! It would be one thing if Manning was throwing at him into tight coverage, but Collie seemed to be wide open time and time again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think Lito is playing that poorly at all, and he's gotten better as the season went on.

Really don't see replacing him for next year as a big deal, and I still really like Lowery.

That said, if Rexenbaum make a move there I'm fine with it...as long as we're getting younger, more athletic, healthier, and cheaper.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-31-2009 at 10:42 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3427823]Manning was lighting Lito up Sunday! It would be one thing if Manning was throwing at him into tight coverage, but Collie seemed to be wide open time and time again.[/QUOTE]

Lito does not have the physical skills anymore play with the welkers of the league, and collie/manings of the league because he struggles with the quick underneath stuff. That being said he has played above avg and should very easily be able to handle andre caldwell and our old boy laverneus this week (and hopefully next week).

I would love to see more improvement from lowery so that he can step in as the starter next year, because there is no way we bring lito back with his $10 million roster bonus.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    agree....
    #2 pick for CB
    #1 pick for pass rush
    #3 pick for WR
    #4 pick for NT

(might consider drafting NT at #1 and pass rush at #4)....just not sure who the top college players are at these positions)

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    When healthy, Lito is a feast or famine type of player usually solid, it is time for him to feast.........

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3427820]Whenever you have a shutdown player like Revis on one side…the other side is going to get picked on. It's just the nature of the beast. Now Lito is a 2 time Pro-Bowler…he clearly has the skills to play the position. However, I couldn't help but notice that he was getting abused all game on Sunday. Of course, Manning abuses EVERY cornerback...hell I don't think Revis played a particularly great game. But for a 4th round rookie from BYU to burn a 2 time pro-bowler all game long...it's just disconcerting.

I think most would agree that using a first round pick next year would be excessive. We are going to have BIG money tied up with Revis--we can't afford another high-priced CB. The consensus seems to be: Let's grab a 2nd round CB to fill Lito's spot. And I agree that's probably wise (considering Lito's financial situation).

It's bizarre because we have, by far and away, the best pass defense in the NFL. Yet we are "thin" at cornerback. I think we'll be ok if we have Lowery and a 2nd round draft pick as our #2 and #3 corners, with a guy like Strickland also rotating in.

My question: Is Lito playing that bad? Won't whoever you stick there get picked on? Is Lito playing well enough that we should offer him a reduced salary for next season?[/QUOTE]

I honestly think Lito sucks. Philly fans I know were not sad to see him go, he gets beat a lot and misses too many plays. Especially like you said having such dominance on one side of the field, we need a guy half as good as he is, just to keep things managable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lito's play has been extremely frustrating this season. He can be lights out in one game and then completely suck in the next game. He has been extremely inconsistant but has definitely shown flashes that he has the potential to be a pro-bowler.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Richard Marshall in the off-season please.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    CB is not a high priority for the draft this year, i wont be suprised if we dont even draft a CB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3427853]CB is not a high priority for the draft this year, i wont be suprised if we dont even draft a CB[/QUOTE]

Pass rusher IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3427853]CB is not a high priority for the draft this year, i wont be suprised if we dont even draft a CB[/QUOTE]

You don't think it becomes somewhat of a priority if we don't re-sign Lito?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see us grab Devin McCourty from Rutgers in the draft, he would be a steal in the second round IMO.

Also, what would you guys think about us going after Osi, since he doesn't seem happy with the Midgets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=msujetfan 89;3427869]I would love to see us grab Devin McCourty from Rutgers in the draft, he would be a steal in the second round IMO.

Also, what would you guys think about us going after Osi, since he doesn't seem happy with the Midgets.[/QUOTE]

I would take Osi in a second... That dude is still a great player, and I guarantee Rex would have him playing decent against the run.

The Giants defensive coordinator is just lost and Osi clearly hates him.

As for Lito, he's done a decent job. And it's not that no longer has the physical skills, he's never really had the physical skills.

He's an excellent tackler and has pretty good instincts and awareness, but he simply doesn't have the explosion in his breaks or the great hips ala Revis to stay with guys. He usually doesn't get torched, but he's also not great.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3427848]Lito's play has been extremely frustrating this season. He can be lights out in one game and then completely suck in the next game. He has been extremely inconsistant but has definitely shown flashes that he has the potential to be a pro-bowler.[/QUOTE]

He was a Pro Bowler....and in his 8th, unhealthy year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3427873]I would take Osi in a second... That dude is still a great player, and I guarantee Rex would have him playing decent against the run.

The Giants defensive coordinator is just lost and Osi clearly hates him.

As for Lito, he's done a decent job. And it's not that no longer has the physical skills, he's never really had the physical skills.

He's an excellent tackler and has pretty good instincts and awareness, but he simply doesn't have the explosion in his breaks or the great hips ala Revis to stay with guys. He usually doesn't get torched, but he's also not great.[/QUOTE]

I would take a flyer too on Osi. He'd have to convert to OLB though and I don't know if a) he'd want to do that and b) whether he's even capable of it. He can't be worse than Gholston though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Osi was viewed as a 'tweener coming out of school 7 years ago...if that helps.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3427877]He was a Pro Bowler....and in his 8th, unhealthy year.[/QUOTE]

The popularity bowl means nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3427890]The popularity bowl means nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, it was a response to him saying he could be a Pro bowler. Lito was a 2x PB and at one point in his career just as good if not better than Revis, and playing in the NFC East too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lito Sheppard is one hell of a #2 CB, just about 30 teams around the league would love to have Lito Sheppard as their #2 CB.

Is he a shut down, lock down, type of #2 CB who's going to shut down #2 WR's all game? No. But he's been playing really solid Football for the Jets as of late.

How can any Jets fan complain about the play of Lito Sheppard? Do you all not remember the pass defense we had last season, with a 34 year old JAG in Ty Law as our #2 CB? Ty Law was a 34 year old CB who couldn't make a break on the ball, couldn't make a play on a WR, and couldn't help this Jets Pass Defense to save his NFL Career.

Believe it or not, Lito Sheppard and Dwight Lowery have been a huge reason why the Jets have the #1 ranked Pass Defense. Jim Leonard too. Leonard and Sheppard are the reasons we aren't a horrid pass Defense like last season, thanks to Law and Elam no longer playing with Revis, Rhodes and Lowery.

I could care less about the Jets front office putting up alot of money @ the CB position; if the Jets are in position to draft Joe Hadden of Florida, they must do it, no matter who is left on the draft board.

The year Revis came out, he was ranked top 3 with 2 other CB's in I believe Hall and Ross. It's now obvious by light years that Revis was the most talented and gifted CB of the draft. This year with Joe Hadden of FLorida? It's already obvious, this kid is the best shut down college CB of the draft. This kid is fast, he's quick, he's strong, he can cover with the best of them, and he's also really solid when it comes down to being able to tackle.

Just like I was a huge fan of Percy Harvin last year, I'm more of a fan of Joe Hadden this season; this is coming from an FSU fan. The SEC has always been known for it's great D's, well, Joe Hadden happens to be one of those amazing SEC Defensive players who can and has taken over games for FLorida. The SEC also has elite talent @ the RB/WR positions, Joe Hadden has held his own.

Just like Revis came in and became the Jets #1 starting CB from just about day one; Joe Hadden would be able to man the #2 CB position since day one, for many of years to come.

Revis and Hadden on the outside would be the most talented-exciting 1-2 punch @ the CB position for many of years to come. Joe Hadden could also be our player to man up on Wes Welker in the slot for 4 quarters strong from here on out.

All in all...Unless the Jets draft Hadden, I'm all for keeping Lito Sheppard but I won't lie...I have Jet dreams just thinking about Joe Hadden.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 12-31-2009 at 11:36 AM.