Thread: Uncapped Year - Effect on Draft

All League
    Charter JI Member

Uncapped Year - Effect on Draft

Assuming 2010 is an uncapped year - do you think more teams will be willing to trade up in the draft and pay a little more for higher picks?

If money is a concern to a team, then obviously no. But for teams where $$$ is not an issue, only salary cap ramifications, will they go balls out for a guy like Suh.

I can see a scenario where Jerry Jones falls in love with Suh, trades half his draft to move up and get him, then fronts loads a huge contract on him with all the money being paid out in the first year.

But that begs the question - if 2010 is an uncapped year - will teams be allowed to do this. i.e. sign a player (free agent or rookie) front load everything into the first year of the contract in 2010 which is uncapped, then have little to no cap ramifications in the remaining portion of the contract?

Even better question - can teams renogiate contracts so that more of cap hit takes place in 2010.

Can the Colts - re-negotiate Manning's contract, pay him a boat load in 2010 then pay him the league minimum for the rest of the contract?

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;3427899]Assuming 2010 is an uncapped year - do you think more teams will be willing to trade up in the draft and pay a little more for higher picks?

If money is a concern to a team, then obviously no. But for teams where $$$ is not an issue, only salary cap ramifications, will they go balls out for a guy like Suh.

I can see a scenario where Jerry Jones falls in love with Suh, trades half his draft to move up and get him, then fronts loads a huge contract on him with all the money being paid out in the first year.

But that begs the question - if 2010 is an uncapped year - will teams be allowed to do this. i.e. sign a player (free agent or rookie) front load everything into the first year of the contract in 2010 which is uncapped, then have little to no cap ramifications in the remaining portion of the contract?

Even better question - can teams renogiate contracts so that more of cap hit takes place in 2010.

Can the Colts - re-negotiate Manning's contract, pay him a boat load in 2010 then pay him the league minimum for the rest of the contract?[/QUOTE]

A great question I would like to know myself...

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;3427899]Assuming 2010 is an uncapped year - do you think more teams will be willing to trade up in the draft and pay a little more for higher picks?

Can the Colts - re-negotiate Manning's contract, pay him a boat load in 2010 then pay him the league minimum for the rest of the contract?[/QUOTE]

I think its definately possible, but I dont think a player would want that. As much as a players career could be over at any moment think aobut how much of a front loaded contract goes into taxes...players wont see half of it right off the bat which is why they would want it spread out at least a little bit more than one year.