Thread: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB, South Florida

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB, South Florida

[B]Height:[/B] 6'5
    [B]Weight:[/B] 265 lbs.
    [B]40 time:[/B] 4.6-4.7 seconds

Pros: Explosive athlete, productive pass rusher, long arms
    Cons: Raw football player with only one season of Division-I football (transfer from JUCO) under his belt, "workout warrior"

We got burned on the Gholston pick bad, and chances are he will be gone before the start of next season because of the uncapped year. But Bryan Thomas is going to be 31 in June, and while he is a solid veteran player and a decent starter for us he was never the pass rusher the Jets drafted him to be. Pace is a lock to start next year after the solid season he's had but this defense still needs two more additions to make it elite.

We either need to draft a reliable cover corner opposite Revis, a 34 DE to replace Douglass, or a pass rushing OLB to replace Thomas. Sheppard has been a nice addition but he's not starting material, and Lowery is probably best suited as a nickel back; imo we can afford to keep Sheppard as the starter another season but we absolutely need to draft a pass rushing OLB. We need a player athletic enough to beat his man 1 on 1 so Rex does not have to consistently bring extra defenders when we need to hurry the QB. Pierre-Paul seems like the ideal pick to me from what I've read, and since he's a high risk pick chances are he will be available in the late 1st or early 2nd round. The Packers took a chance on Clay Matthews and he's been a dominant pass rusher for them, the Skins took Orakpo even with all the Gholston comparisons and he's a Pro-Bowler, and even the Chargers have seen some solid production and major potential from Larry English. Gholston, on the other hand, has not improved in Rex's defense and is costing this franchise a ridiculous amount of money to keep.

But I was wondering what you guys thought about Pierre-Paul first, since you guys seem to know more about college football than I do?

I like JPP, but I think a lot of his success is due to the attention offenses give to George Selvie.

[QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3428014]I like JPP, but I think a lot of his success is due to the attention offenses give to George Selvie.[/QUOTE]

Where do you think Selvie will go in the draft?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3428014]I like JPP, but I think a lot of his success is due to the attention offenses give to George Selvie.[/QUOTE]Not so sure. Selvie did nothing vs Anthony Davis the times I watched him. I think Leavett should have flip-flopped his ends. Just watch who gets drafted earlier.

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;3428026]Where do you think Selvie will go in the draft?[/QUOTE]

Probably in the mid-late 2nd. I personally love Selvie and think he's really good value there.

He blew up 2 years ago and offenses started double teaming him all the time so his numbers really decreased. Selvie has a lot of pass rushing potential but needs to put on some weight.

Really raw player...I also think experience level is an underrated aspect in guys transitioning to OLB. I think we'd end up getting pissed at him for not coming along fast enough.

Really think Selvie has been really underrated by fans over the past couple of years.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3428491]Really raw player...I also think experience level is an underrated aspect in guys transitioning to OLB. I think we'd end up getting pissed at him for not coming along fast enough.

Really think Selvie has been really underrated by fans over the past couple of years.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but unlike Gholston I'd figure that JPP wouldn't command a big time contract, meaning that there would be more time given towards developing him as a starter properly as opposed to VG, who makes more money than Pace and has less tackles then most of our backups.

Gholston didn't really ask for the contract he got. JPP wouldn't command as large a contract, but that's because he won't be the 6th overall pick.