Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am not buying the logic that the Bengals have nothing to play for, and here's why.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not buying the logic that the Bengals have nothing to play for, and here's why.

The Bengals have lost 2 out of their last 3 games and just squeeked by the Chiefs last Sunday, if they pull their starters and get hammered by the Jets they will go into the playoffs having lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

The Playoffs is all about momentum. This is not a team that has won it's last 14 games straight, this is a team that has not been playing particularly well the last qtr of the season, [B]the Bengals need to try and go all out & beat the Jets to have momentum going into the playoffs.[/B]

In my opinion, that's alot that the Bengals have to play for despite the fact that the media clowns are trying to paint a picture to the contrary.

As I said, the Bengals are not a team that has cruised into the playoffs beating every team put in front of them and I think beating the Jets is critical for the Bengals to have momentum going into the playoffs, they lose against the Jets Sunday night and they limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games with no momentum and that is not a position that I would want my team to be in.

Doesn't make any sense for Marvin Lewis to put his team behind the 8 ball like that, you want to go into the playoffs with a convincing win and momentum.

That is plenty that the Bengals have to play for.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-31-2009 at 01:23 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm buying it. You are playing the next week in the wildcard no matter what, no reason to keep your starters in especially Palmer for the entire game against a team that will be playing for everything, trying to hit the QB as much as possible.

If they had a bye then I would say otherwise but I can't see the starters playing anything more then a couple of series, a quarter at most.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Palmer's gonna get a lot of snaps.

Jordan Palmer.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3428085]I'm buying it. You are playing the next week in the wildcard no matter what, no reason to keep your starters in especially Palmer for the entire game against a team that will be playing for everything, trying to hit the QB as much as possible.

If they had a bye then I would say otherwise but I can't see the starters playing anything more then a couple of series, a quarter at most.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but you absolutely do not want your team to limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games.

The Bengals would almost certainly be one and done regardless of who they were playing.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-31-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. And it would be beyond classic Jets to blow this game. Given the playoff dynamics involved this weekend, there is no excuse, and egg laying cannot be tolerated: they absolutely, positively, [B]have[/B] to win this game, or be branded the biggest losers in all of sport.

If a franchise ever faced a must-win game for the sake of its collective psyche, this is it. Not because winning will be some epic achievement, but because losing would be the mother of all epic fails.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3428093]If a franchise ever faced a must-win game for the sake of its collective psyche, this is it. Not because winning will be some epic achievement, but because losing would be the mother of all epic fails.[/QUOTE]

Perfectly stated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand your point, but keep two facts in mind --

A) The Bengals just lost Rey Maluaga (sp?) for the season last week. That is going to affect their thinking in an essentially meaningless game.

B) The Bengals had a legitimate shot in '05 and Carson Palmer went down for the season with a torn ACL. Granted, that was in the playoff game itself, but that's gotta be in the back of their minds as well.

C) There is a good possibility (at least, IMO) that even if the Bengals play to win, we'll beat them anyway. THIS, I think, is the worst thing they could do, because we will have seen their hand and will have a psychological advantage. If I'm the Bengals, I let us go balls to the wall to win a playoff spot in a game that is a tough spot for them, then do the same to us in their own house. It's going to be very tough for us to beat them in back to back weeks.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3428097]I understand your point, but keep two facts in mind --

A) The Bengals just lost Rey Maluaga (sp?) for the season last week. That is going to affect their thinking in an essentially meaningless game.

B) The Bengals had a legitimate shot in '05 and Carson Palmer went down for the season with a torn ACL. Granted, that was in the playoff game itself, but that's gotta be in the back of their minds as well.

C) There is a good possibility (at least, IMO) that even if the Bengals play to win, we'll beat them anyway. THIS, I think, is the worst thing they could do, because we will have seen their hand and will have a psychological advantage. If I'm the Bengals, I let us go balls to the wall to win a playoff spot in a game that is a tough spot for them, then do the same to us in their own house. [B]It's going to be very tough for us to beat them in [U]back to back weeks[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]
    That's fine but you are assuming that the Patriots will beat the Texans and thats no gimme.

The Texans are playing well and the Patriots have to go to Reliant Stadium in the Texans own back yard. The Patriots are 2-5 on the road this season.

In my opinion this game could go either way.

The Patriots lose and The Bengals have a different opponent the 1st round of the playoffs.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-31-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    The deal has been done

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]
    The Playoffs is all about momentum
    [/QUOTE]
    someone forgot to tell that to caldwell and the colts:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428078]The Bengals have lost 2 out of their last 3 games and just squeeked by the Chiefs last Sunday, if they pull their starters and get hammered by the Jets they will go into the playoffs having lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

The Playoffs is all about momentum. This is not a team that has won it's last 14 games straight, this is a team that has not been playing particularly well the last qtr of the season, [B]the Bengals need to try and go all out & beat the Jets to have momentum going into the playoffs.[/B]

In my opinion, that's alot that the Bengals have to play for despite the fact that the media clowns are trying to paint a picture to the contrary.

As I said, the Bengals are not a team that has cruised into the playoffs beating every team put in front of them and I think beating the Jets is critical for the Bengals to have momentum going into the playoffs, they lose against the Jets Sunday night and they limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games with no momentum and that is not a position that I would want my team to be in.

Doesn't make any sense for Marvin Lewis to put his team behind the 8 ball like that, you want to go into the playoffs with a convincing win and momentum.

That is plenty that the Bengals have to play for.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree with you bro, beacuse they havent played too well in the last few weeks Marvin cant risk going all out against a very dangerous Jets team and losing knowing he will likely see them again the following week. What momentum will his team have knowing their tried their best and got beat by the Jets and having to face them again in back to back games? The best strategy for a team that needs confidence is to play them for a quarter or a half hoping they keep it close and gain confidence from those isolated minutes against our starters. Its too risky a gamble to lose if we beat them cleanly with their starters especially since the team is fragile as you stated, that part i agree with

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428078]The Bengals have lost 2 out of their last 3 games and just squeeked by the Chiefs last Sunday, if they pull their starters and get hammered by the Jets they will go into the playoffs having lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

legitimate points, ARod. IMO, it's not an obvious or easy decision either way for Lewis. what is clear is, it's to his advantage to not tip his hand. if the Bengals are going to go all out to win, it could help them to have the Jets thinking they'll be facing 2nd stringers and waiting for Palmer to come out so they can really turn it on...then, if that never happens, it may be too late by the time the Jets realize. The Jets need to have the mindset that they'll be facing a hungry Bengals team playing hard...otherwise, it could be a very disappointing evening.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 I don't think Marvin is going to sit back and watch his team self-destruct. They have to pick it up if they have any hopes of going anywhere in the playoffs. It think it will be a battle of the D's all the way.

How's the weather in sunny Florida brother? Been doing any fishing?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;3428163]I completely disagree with you bro, beacuse they havent played too well in the last few weeks Marvin cant risk going all out against a very dangerous Jets team and losing knowing he will likely see them again the following week. What momentum will his team have knowing their tried their best and got beat by the Jets and having to face them again in back to back games? The best strategy for a team that needs confidence is to play them for a quarter or a half hoping they keep it close and gain confidence from those isolated minutes against our starters. Its too risky a gamble to lose if we beat them cleanly with their starters especially since the team is fragile as you stated, that part i agree with[/QUOTE]

Again, as I stated previously, everyone is assuming that the Pats will go on the road to Houston and beat the Texans and for a Patriots team that is 2-5 on the road this season and is going to play a Houston team that has been playing well, that's no gimme.

The Patriots lose and the Bengals wild card opponent would be someone other then the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is a guarantee why

Vegas has us as 10 point favorites, there is no way vegas does that unless they are sure of it. They get it right more times than not so if they say the bengals are 10 point dogs you better believe the starters wont see much if any time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428190]Again, as I stated previously, everyone is assuming that the Pats will go on the road to Houston and beat the Texans and for a Patriots team that is 2-5 on the road this season and is going to play a Houston team that has been playing well, that's no gimme.

The Patriots lose and the Bengals wild card opponent would be someone other then the Jets.[/QUOTE]

true, i am making that assumption but I dont think it matters. Although a big road win against the Jets would work wonders for the team morale a loss in any fashion regardless of who they play next week would be even worse

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-league/09000d5d81561aa7/Ocho-I-m-not-coming-out[/URL]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;3428206]here is a guarantee why

Vegas has us as 10 point favorites, there is no way vegas does that unless they are sure of it. They get it right more times than not so if they say the bengals are 10 point dogs you better believe the starters wont see much if any time.[/QUOTE]

i am thinking about throwing some money on the bengals here. if the jets lose at least i'll have some money in my pocket.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will find a way to beat themselves. ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this would be a steeler fans worse nightmare:

[I][B]My nightmare scenario is that we need a Cincy win and at a key point in the game Ochocinco catches the ball, runs towards the endzone then stops, places the ball on the 1 yard line, pulls a Terrible Towel out of his pants and twirls it overhead as he walks back to the sideline.[/B][/I]