Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am not buying the logic that the Bengals have nothing to play for, and here's why.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say I agree with this logic. It makes very little sense to throw your QB out there with sore knees as well as your hurt RB in a meaningless game. The fact that they just lost one of their best players to a season ending injury only strengthens the fact that their top guys should never see the field. :santa:
    Last edited by Greensleeves; 12-31-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the starters start. Let's say they play well and build a lead.

Can't he pull them at halftime, and then they've built confidence, without having to finish the game and win it?

IMO, no way anyone important plays the 2nd half. Probably not even the 2nd quarter...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3428251]So the starters start. Let's say they play well and build a lead.

Can't he pull them at halftime, and then they've built confidence, without having to finish the game and win it?

IMO, no way anyone important plays the 2nd half. Probably not even the 2nd quarter...[/QUOTE]

The Bengals have no bye week.

So they sit their starters and incur no further injuries and they limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games.

I don't see how anything good can possibly come from that.

It's all about momentum when you have to play every week in the playoffs.

See the 2007 Giants.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-31-2009 at 06:26 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428089]I am sorry but you absolutely do not want your team to limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games.

The Bengals would almost certainly be one and done regardless of who they were playing.[/QUOTE]

I guess they're going to lose either way, so they may as well just rest their starters.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3428463]I guess they're going to lose either way, so they may as well just rest their starters.[/QUOTE]

Well, if I am Marvin Lewis, I am playing everyone and trying to get a convincing win on the road against the best defense in the league to build momentum, regardless of who we play next week.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428078]The Bengals have lost 2 out of their last 3 games and just squeeked by the Chiefs last Sunday, if they pull their starters and get hammered by the Jets they will go into the playoffs having lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

The Playoffs is all about momentum. This is not a team that has won it's last 14 games straight, this is a team that has not been playing particularly well the last qtr of the season, [B]the Bengals need to try and go all out & beat the Jets to have momentum going into the playoffs.[/B]

In my opinion, that's alot that the Bengals have to play for despite the fact that the media clowns are trying to paint a picture to the contrary.

As I said, the Bengals are not a team that has cruised into the playoffs beating every team put in front of them and I think beating the Jets is critical for the Bengals to have momentum going into the playoffs, [B]they lose against the Jets Sunday night and they limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games with no momentum and that is not a position that I would want my team to be in.

Doesn't make any sense for Marvin Lewis to put his team behind the 8 ball like that, you want to go into the playoffs with a convincing win and momentum.[/B]

That is plenty that the Bengals have to play for.[/QUOTE]

The same stuff was said about the Cardinals last year, getting killed in NE, mailing in the last few games of the regular season, no way they would win a playoff game, etc. The whole momentum thing is garbage, it's about execution in the playoffs whether you go in on a long winning streak or not playing particularly well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428457]The Bengals have no bye week.

So they sit their starters and incur no further injuries and they limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games.

See the 2007 Giants.[/QUOTE]
    How about the 2008 Cardinals?

Or the 2008 Colts who came in winning 8 or 9 in a row losing to the Chargers?

I don't buy this momentum stuff. I really don't, every game is a seperate entity, sure it's better to be playing good football down the stretch but whether the Bengals go all out on Sunday shouldn't have an effect on their wild-card performance

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428104]That's fine but you are assuming that the Patriots will beat the Texans and thats no gimme.

The Texans are playing well and the Patriots have to go to Reliant Stadium in the Texans own back yard. The Patriots are 2-5 on the road this season.

In my opinion this game could go either way.

The Patriots lose and The Bengals have a different opponent the 1st round of the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Well that just feeds into...

D) We're a better first round opponent for the Bengals than the Steelers, Ravens, and Broncos. We have a rookie QB prone to mistakes, on the road, in the playoffs. They'd rather face us, even if it means Indy in the second round instead of SD.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM3;3428468]How about the 2008 Cardinals?

Or the 2008 Colts who came in winning 8 or 9 in a row losing to the Chargers?

I don't buy this momentum stuff. I really don't, every game is a seperate entity, sure it's better to be playing good football down the stretch but whether the Bengals go all out on Sunday shouldn't have an effect on their wild-card performance[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Either way it's a win for the Jets.
    If they go all out with their starters, which we can beat, Jets get a lot to study up on for the next week.
    And if it looks like somehow the Bungholes might win, Rex had better damn well make sure someone is hitting that QB. HARD.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428190]Again, as I stated previously, everyone is assuming that the Pats will go on the road to Houston and beat the Texans and for a Patriots team that is 2-5 on the road this season and is going to play a Houston team that has been playing well, that's no gimme.

[B]The Patriots lose and the Bengals wild card opponent would be someone other then the Jets.[/B] [/QUOTE]

Not if we beat them.

If we win, we're playing the Bengals. That's my point, it's all predicated on that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3428474]Not if we beat them.

If we win, we're playing the Bengals. That's my point, it's all predicated on that.[/QUOTE]

My understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is if we beat the Bengals and the Patriots beat Houston, we get the Bengals in the wild card round.

If we beat the Bengals and New England loses to Houston, I BELIEVE we would get New England in the wild card round.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. In any event, we have to win Sunday night otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting OP but I gotta disagree and we'll see on Sunday. My take is that if we were Tampa bay or Seattle, yeah--maybe you play your first team for the reasons stated.

But we are the #1 defense known for blitzing and its going to be a pumped up crazy atmosphere. Why risk your QB or your #1 RB?

I'm convinced that Larry Johnson will be the featured back (and that can be tough--I'm a little worried about him) and that Palmer is out at least in the 2nd half but I really think he sits most if not all the game.

If Lewis wants to play Palmer, lets make sure we level him once or twice in the 1Q and that will be that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Bengals also hate Pittsburgh and won't mind doing their part to ensure that the Steelers stay out. They get the added bonus of resting their starters, and despite what some other posts seem to have implied, they can't outright throw the game with their starters in there or there will be major suspensions and fines.

I don't really see the whole momentum thing. It doesn't hurt but it isn't "all about momentum." Even so, the Bengals might feel like they can let us in and then have the weakest possible opponent in the first round and build their momentum from there. I say fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428457]The Bengals have no bye week.

See the 2007 Giants.[/QUOTE]

The 2007 Giants lost 2 of their last 3 games before the postseason, and 4 of their last 8 games.

For the most part, having momentum going into the postseason really means very little. The Colts won their last 9 games last regular season, and then lost their Wild Card game to San Diego. What did that momentum get them?

The playoffs are their own season, it's own animal. Momentum from the regular season generally doesn't carry over.

More importantly, it's a poor idea to risk serious injury over something as overrated as momentum. The Bengals lost Maualuga last week, they lost Carson Palmer on the first snap of the postseason to a torn ACL a couple years ago. The potential for injury should be something fresh on all their minds.

I think they'll be resting starters regardless, but especially if New England wins and locks them into the 4 seed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428479]My understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is if we beat the Bengals and the Patriots beat Houston, we get the Bengals in the wild card round.

If we beat the Bengals and New England loses to Houston, I BELIEVE we would get New England in the wild card round.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. In any event, we have to win Sunday night otherwise, it doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

When we beat Cincy,that's it,we play @Cincy 1'st round no other scenario is possible. NE can win or lose, we don't get them in first round no matter what the other teams do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cardinals limped into the playoffs last year, didn't they? Same for the Giants in '07, though they were just happy to not be blown out in Week 17.

It's not as if you go into the playoffs and do whatever you were doing. If you get into the playoffs then you go from there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only obvious advantage we get by playing their backups is an easier path into the playoffs.

Having said that, I REALLY hope they do play their starters. If we win, it'll feel more "legitimate" and make me feel more confident about their chances the next week. If they lose, at least it was to a "playoff team" and not "a bunch of scrubs" (the SOJ talk will last until April:eek:)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8156574c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8156574c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/URL]

[QUOTE]Game: Cincinnati at N.Y. Jets (8:20 p.m. ET)

Venue: Giants Stadium

Last time at site: New York RB Thomas Jones accounted for three touchdowns as the Jets defeated the Bengals, 26-14, on Oct. 12, 2008.

Reason for road optimism: While there is the chance that Cincinnati could rest most of its starters, and play this game as more of a preseason outing, the Bengals' players seem to want to go all out. Chad Ochocinco says he pestered coach Marvin Lewis constantly in the hopes he could play, and the team may just approach this game with some intensity[B], given how it has struggled over the past month.[/B] Cincinnati has not been sharp in recent weeks, but by ending the season on a high note and eliminating the Jets from the playoffs, it will establish positive momentum heading into the playoffs. The desire to find that rhythm may just outweigh any concerns about resting up.

[B]The Jets have teased their fans many times over the past three decades, and this game could provide just the latest chapter to that novel of discontent[/B]. Everything fell into place for New York last week. The Colts removed their starters in the third quarter, allowing the Jets to rally for the win, and then the Dolphins, Jaguars and Broncos all lost, giving the Jets control of their own destiny. Unfortunately for New York, Cincinnati is not a good matchup. The Jets rely on their running game and defense. The Bengals, however, have the league's second-ranked rush defense and excel at winning close, low-scoring games. Additionally, Cincinnati has just the kind of playmaking cornerbacks that have befuddled Mark Sanchez all year.[B] Giants Stadium may just close out with another loss, and more fans storming to the exits in anger[/B].[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/funny-dog-pictures-three-dogs-bicycle-man.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by sdJETSetter; 01-01-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot is going to hinge on the Pats game. If the Pats win, then there is no reason for the Bengals to play their starters other than to go into the playoffs with some momentum. The problem is that the line in the Pats game is Pats plus 7.5 which means Vegas is thinking that the Pats are going to rest starters. I got a funny feeling that the Pats are not going to sit their starters for that game(could be a GREAT moneyline bet). I am glad they moved the Jets game to the night game because i think that really helps us with Cinn resting starters.

I do believe that we can beat Cinn straight up though. They are not the same team that started out so strong this year. Either way, sunday night should be a great game.