Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am not buying the logic that the Bengals have nothing to play for, and here's why.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3428093]I agree. And it would be beyond classic Jets to blow this game. Given the playoff dynamics involved this weekend, there is no excuse, and egg laying cannot be tolerated: they absolutely, positively, [B]have[/B] to win this game, or be branded the biggest losers in all of sport.

If a franchise ever faced a must-win game for the sake of its collective psyche, this is it. Not because winning will be some epic achievement, but because losing would be the mother of all epic fails.[/QUOTE]
    ..we really do need to win this game..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428479]My understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is if we beat the Bengals and the Patriots beat Houston, we get the Bengals in the wild card round.

If we beat the Bengals and New England loses to Houston, I BELIEVE we would get New England in the wild card round.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. In any event, we have to win Sunday night otherwise, it doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

You're incorrect. If we beat the Bengals and NE loses to Houston we still get the Bengals.

Since both of our opponents are conference opponents AND common opponents, we would stay tied, and the tiebreaker would be strength of victory, where the Pats beat the Bengals by a landslide.

There's no way we could be the 6 seed either, if we win we're the 5... Unless we tie or something.

But yeah, regardless, we need to win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428190]Again, as I stated previously, everyone is assuming that the Pats will go on the road to Houston and beat the Texans and for a Patriots team that is 2-5 on the road this season and is going to play a Houston team that has been playing well, that's no gimme.

The Patriots lose and the Bengals wild card opponent would be someone other then the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Correct, but if the Pats win and the Bengals beat the Jets, their oppenent will either be Baltimore, Pitt, or Denver. Would you rather play the Jets and their rookie QB one week after "scrimmaging" them, or one of the other teams? I say it is a no-brainer. The Jets are the best matchup for the Bengals, especially after getting ooodles of info from a srimmage that counts fo nothing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. If you're the Bengals, would you rather play Sanchez or Roethlisberger?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Peter King

[QUOTE] Cincinnati. No doubt in my mind we'll see a healthy dose of J.T. O'Sullivan in the last football game ever at the Meadowlands. Who's he? The backup quarterback to Carson Palmer. I can't see Palmer playing four quarters, or even four series, against a team with the kind of changeup blitzing the Jets practice. And with the Bengals likely to play Saturday afternoon of wild-card weekend, I look for Marvin Lewis to take every chance against the Jets [U](the luckiest team on the face of the earth), [/U]on the road entering what is likely to be a short practice week, to rest starters.[/QUOTE]

First time this phrase has been uttered in 41 years.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/01/gameplan/index.html?eref=sihp[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3429068]Correct, but if the Pats win and the Bengals beat the Jets, their oppenent will either be Baltimore, Pitt, or Denver. [B]Would you rather play the Jets and their rookie QB[/B] one week after "scrimmaging" them, or one of the other teams? I say it is a no-brainer. The Jets are the best matchup for the Bengals, especially after getting ooodles of info from a srimmage that counts fo nothing.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Austin;3429116]Exactly. [B]If you're the Bengals, would you rather play Sanchez or Roethlisberger[/B]?[/QUOTE]

I understand ur guys thinking, and I agree Sanchez is more of a liablility than a threat, but I cant think the Jets defense is on anybody's easy list.

Its not just Sanchez they are facing. Our running game is GREAT, especially with Shonn Greene's confidence on the rise, and TJ's workhorse ethic.

I agree that this team is going to win or lose with Sanchez. If he can keep the turnovers down, or better yet, nonexistent, I really think this team could shock 1 or 2 teams.

Green colored glasses? Yeah Im wearing them:yes:, but im also trying to be realistic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3429129]I understand ur guys thinking, and I agree Sanchez is more of a liablility than a threat, but I cant think the Jets defense is on anybody's easy list.

Its not just Sanchez they are facing. Our running game is GREAT, especially with Shonn Greene's confidence on the rise, and TJ's workhorse ethic.

I agree that this team is going to win or lose with Sanchez. If he can keep the turnovers down, or better yet, nonexistent, I really think this team could [B][SIZE="5"]shock[/SIZE][/B] 1 or 2 teams.

Green colored glasses? Yeah Im wearing them:yes:, but im also trying to be realistic.[/QUOTE]

key word. Ravens and Steelers would not "shock" anyone by beating them. I think the same can be said for Denver.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3429156]key word. Ravens and Steelers would not "shock" anyone by beating them. I think the same can be said for [B]Denver[/B].[/QUOTE]

Ravens and Steelers are both very dangerous, and playing well at the right time. Even with the Ravens taking some losses recently, they are still playing good football. Yeah, I could see either of those 2 teams sending the Bengals home, if they got in.

I really think the Jets are playing better football than the Broncos at this point in the season. I really do. I remember seeing the Broncos beat the Pats in that early season matchup, and I thought they would be one of the better teams in the AFC, right up there with the Colts.

But boy oh boy...what in the hell has happened.:huh:

That Broncos Defense looks like a completely different unit, and with Orton coming back down to earth, and now Marshall having "issues", I really doubt they will do anything in the playoffs, if they even make it. (Same argument can be made for our Jets) If this weekends game wasnt in Denver, I wouldnt even be shocked if they get beat by KC. They still very well may.

Gotta love this week of AFC football.:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3429127]From Peter King

First time this phrase has been uttered in 41 years.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/01/gameplan/index.html?eref=sihp[/url][/QUOTE]

how exactly could the rules/competition committee change the year end player resting?

i don't see anyway to do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=batman10023;3429252]how exactly could the rules/competition committee change the year end player resting?

i don't see anyway to do it.[/QUOTE]

They can't have it both ways...the storylines of undefeated teams which you know the NFL loves coupled with the same teams using meaningless games to rest injured starters to get ready for the playoff push and give back up players much needed game time experience.

I like the idea they came up with flexing games, but if they keep tweaking the "formula" they're gonna f*ck something up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vinluvr;3428093]I agree. And it would be beyond classic Jets to blow this game. Given the playoff dynamics involved this weekend, there is no excuse, and egg laying cannot be tolerated: they absolutely, positively, [B]have[/B] to win this game, or be branded the biggest losers in all of sport.

If a franchise ever faced a must-win game for the sake of its collective psyche, this is it. Not because winning will be some epic achievement, [B][I][U]but because losing would be the mother of all epic fails[/U][/I][/B].[/QUOTE]

There is no epic fail this year. We were only 'good' for 3 games. We were just average at best the rest of the way.

LAST YEAR was the epic fail.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;3429287]There is no epic fail this year. We were only 'good' for 3 games. We were just average at best the rest of the way.

LAST YEAR was the epic fail.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This fail would be relatively small on the fail scale.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If momentum really is an issue heading into this weekend - I think Cincy is in trouble.

Aside from the Atlanta game, we're on a roll, winning four out of five games to keep our hopes of playoff football alive.

Cincy have lost two out of their last three, squeaked by KC last week with the division there for the taking, and have lost to the only two decent teams they've played lately - Minny & SD. Their recent wins have been against Cleveland, Detroit & KC, while also losing to Oakland. You have to go back to Week 10 to see their last "big" win, against a slumping Steelers team.

Cincy better hope that momentum is not a big thing. Because right now, there's a hell of a lot of it coming their way, and it's GREEN.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428089]I am sorry but you absolutely do not want your team to limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games.

The Bengals would almost certainly be one and done regardless of who they were playing.[/QUOTE]

Like the 2008 Cardinals, who lost 4 of their last 6?

The Bengals have everything to lose and nothing to gain on Sunday by playing their starters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3429129]I understand ur guys thinking, and I agree Sanchez is more of a liablility than a threat, but I cant think the Jets defense is on anybody's easy list.

I agree that this team is going to win or lose with Sanchez. If he can keep the turnovers down, or better yet, nonexistent, I really think this team could shock 1 or 2 teams.

Green colored glasses? Yeah Im wearing them:yes:, but im also trying to be realistic.[/QUOTE]

All of the teams in the playoffs are going to be good teams, but if I'm the Bengals and had a choice on who I'd rather play, I'd pick the Jets before the Steelers 100/100 times.

Of course the Jets D is playing lights out and the running game is very tough, but this is a passing league now, and we have a rookie QB who leads the conference in turnovers. This is a very EASY choice for Cincy. I think you're having some trouble seeing reality through the green shades.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the No. 1 seed in the NFC all sewn up, the New Orleans Saints will rest Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees and will start Mark Brunell in Sunday's regular season finale against the Carolina Panthers, according to a report in the Times-Picayune on Friday.

The report states Brees will be the third-string emergency quarterback on Sunday behind Brunell and Chase Daniel.

so much for momentum

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I hope you're right ARod, but I don't think so. THIS year the best way for a wild card team to make the superbowl is from the 4th seed for a lot of reasons. First the 4th seed is most likely to play the offensively damaged Jets rather than the more offensively dangerous Ravens. Secondly you would MUCH rather play Indy in the second game, that travel 3000 miles to play SD. Also Indy's first playoff game is the game to play them, since in that game their sphincters will be so tight that an atom couldn't get through.

So as a Pats fan, my ideal scenario would be to play the Jets at home, travel to Indy to play the Colts...and THEN travel to SD to try and beat the Chargers. That would be much better than trying to beat the Ravens at home, travel all the way to SD to try and beat the team playing the best ball in the league, and THEN have to travel to INDY to beat the Colts.

All Cinci has to do to get that better road to the playoffs is to lose to the Jets...and they get to save personel at the same time. As to the momentum issue..... That can be resolved by playing a solid first half before pulling a Colts job in the 2nd half.

All that being said I'll add the disclaimer that NO playoff team is a gimme. Every playoff team has the capability of beating another. Even teams like Chargers, who ARE better, have a smaller margin of error in the playoffs, if they play less than their best, or don't get the bounces.

So it really doesn't matter who you play, but all things considered, if I were the Bengals, losing this game has much more of a reward than going for the win.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;3428097]I understand your point, but keep two facts in mind --

C) Th[B][I]ere is a good possibility (at least, IMO) that even if the Bengals play to win, we'll beat them anyway.[/I][/B] THIS, I think, is the worst thing they could do, because we will have seen their hand and will have a psychological advantage. If I'm the Bengals, I let us go balls to the wall to win a playoff spot in a game that is a tough spot for them, then do the same to us in their own house. It's going to be very tough for us to beat them in back to back weeks.[/QUOTE]

That is awfully bold and optimistic coming from a Jets fan, no? I like optimism, but if you have been watching the same season I have been, not a single win is guaranteed...no matter what...no matter where...no matter who.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3428078]The Bengals have lost 2 out of their last 3 games and just squeeked by the Chiefs last Sunday, if they pull their starters and get hammered by the Jets they will go into the playoffs having lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

The Playoffs is all about momentum. This is not a team that has won it's last 14 games straight, this is a team that has not been playing particularly well the last qtr of the season, [B]the Bengals need to try and go all out & beat the Jets to have momentum going into the playoffs.[/B]

In my opinion, that's alot that the Bengals have to play for despite the fact that the media clowns are trying to paint a picture to the contrary.

As I said, the Bengals are not a team that has cruised into the playoffs beating every team put in front of them and I think beating the Jets is critical for the Bengals to have momentum going into the playoffs, they lose against the Jets Sunday night and they limp into the playoffs having lost 3 of their last 4 games with no momentum and that is not a position that I would want my team to be in.

Doesn't make any sense for Marvin Lewis to put his team behind the 8 ball like that, you want to go into the playoffs with a convincing win and momentum.

That is plenty that the Bengals have to play for.[/QUOTE]

The oddsmakers disagree with you

we are 10.5 pt favorites!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3429744]Personally I hope you're right ARod, but I don't think so. THIS year the best way for a wild card team to make the superbowl is from the 4th seed for a lot of reasons. First the 4th seed is most likely to play the offensively damaged Jets rather than the more offensively dangerous Ravens. Secondly you would MUCH rather play Indy in the second game, that travel 3000 miles to play SD. Also Indy's first playoff game is the game to play them, since in that game their sphincters will be so tight that an atom couldn't get through.

So as a Pats fan, my ideal scenario would be to play the Jets at home, travel to Indy to play the Colts...and THEN travel to SD to try and beat the Chargers. That would be much better than trying to beat the Ravens at home, travel all the way to SD to try and beat the team playing the best ball in the league, and THEN have to travel to INDY to beat the Colts.

All Cinci has to do to get that better road to the playoffs is to lose to the Jets...and they get to save personel at the same time. As to the momentum issue..... That can be resolved by playing a solid first half before pulling a Colts job in the 2nd half.

All that being said I'll add the disclaimer that NO playoff team is a gimme. Every playoff team has the capability of beating another. Even teams like Chargers, who ARE better, have a smaller margin of error in the playoffs, if they play less than their best, or don't get the bounces.

So it really doesn't matter who you play, but all things considered, if I were the Bengals, losing this game has much more of a reward than going for the win.[/QUOTE]

Ken,

1) I think the Bengals come at us with everything, that's my gut feeling.

2) The Patriots are 2 -5 on the road this season, you will never come close to making it to San Diego.

3) The Jets are under the radar with no expectations on them from the media. That's the best place to be.