Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our run defense has improved without Kris Jenkins

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Our run defense has improved without Kris Jenkins

Everyone thought Jenkins getting injured would cripple our defense and we wouldn't be able to stop the run. Turns out before Jenkins got injured we were allowing 4.0 yds per run while after he got injured we only allow 3.5 yds per run.

first 6 games 173 attempts for 694 yds which is 4.0 yds per run
    last 9 games 229 attempts for 812 yds which is 3.5 yds per run

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're ranked 9th against the run, which is respectable.

Pouha (along with the entire defense) has stepped up big time. The guy has been clutch for us. We just have to learn to step up in big spots.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3428386]We're ranked 9th against the run, which is respectable.

Pouha (along with the entire defense) has stepped up big time. The guy has been clutch for us. We just have to learn to step up in big spots.[/QUOTE]

That ranking is based on yds per game. If you looked at avg yds per run we are tied for 3rd with 3.7 yds

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=avi31884;3428391]That ranking is based on yds per game. If you looked at avg yds per run we are tied for 3rd with 3.7 yds[/QUOTE]

Even better. Overall, we're number 1.

Too bad for Cincy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3428396]Why do so many people think Pouha has taken over as the starting NT in place of Kris Jenkins :hmm:

I noticed that in the "unsung hero" thread too, but he hasn't, John

Mike DeVito has .. DeVito is the starter and Pouha is his backup, not the other way around

So its DeVito who deserves the bulk of the credit here, not Pouha, though Pouha has done well as the backup[/QUOTE]

I've seen DeVito all over the defensive line, so I think of him as an every position lineman in the 3-4. DeVito is also an unsung hero, but Pouha only plays NT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to point out that perhaps it was that the D was still meshing with Rex's new system, learning each others playing style in real live games, etc

and now everyone is that much more comfortable with assignments, etc

just a thought

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    also like you all I've seen De Vito all over the line...

and FWIT the Jets "unofficial" depth chart has Pouha as starting NT and De Vito listed as a DE:

[url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth_charts[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=King Ryan;3428409]also like you all I've seen De Vito all over the line...

and FWIT the Jets "unofficial" depth chart has Pouha as starting NT and De Vito listed as a DE:

[url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth_charts[/url][/QUOTE]

DeVito has actually been as effective as Ellis, IMO. Probably more because he's a little more versatile than Ellis. When I think NT replacement for Jenkins, I think Pouha.

That's why I was worried about DeVito getting hurt last week. He's also money in this system.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of pure replacement, Pouha is definitely the replacement of Jenkins. He absolutely plays at the nose more than Devito.

That said, Devito plays a ton.

TYpical 4 linemen that come out for us are Devito and Pouha both in at DT and the DE's being Ellis and Douglas.

RIght now we are absolutely dealing with the loss of Jenkins by going with a pretty big DL in terms of stopping the run. That front 4 has good size for that.

And the only reason we've improved is because we have more games under the system. Run fits have been improved dramatically. Cincy will be our toughest test because of how HUGE their Oline is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing Rex said about his D was that he knows how to stop the run. As it turns out, he was absolutely correct.

DeVito is the sh*t.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere that Rex's rotation of Pouha, Green and DeVito was responsible for making up for Jenkins' absence.... seems to be working. :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devito was huge for us this year and I hope we can keep him next year. Anyone know who we're likely to lose from the D next year? Oh yeah - And a Happy New Year to my Jets family!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3428484]

DeVito is the sh*t.[/QUOTE]

Loved him in Taxi.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are playing a ton more 4 man line without Jenkins then when he was playing. As great as a lineman he is, a 4 man line is going to be better against the run even with Jenkins in the middle than a 3 man line. But..you lose some complexity with the types of blitzes you can call with 3 LBs vs 4. Thats why you haven't seen too many sacks etc..

Even with a healthy Jenkins next year I think/hope we rotate in alot more 4 man lines. How about one with Haynesworth and Jenkins as yor DTs? wow!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3428493]Devito was huge for us this year and I hope we can keep him next year. Anyone know who we're likely to lose from the D next year? Oh yeah - And a Happy New Year to my Jets family!!!!![/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure we locked in Devito in the offseason to a new 3 year contract.:)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RobR;3428507]I'm pretty sure we locked in Devito in the offseason to a new 3 year contract.:)[/QUOTE]

Yes, and Bo-ew-ha!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha and DeVito have been fantastic in stepping up to fill Jenkins role.

But sorry, Ham, you're incorrect in who is the starter. Pouha is the starting NT. DeVito is the 1st replacement for everyone (including Pouha), and then there's Green.

The way the rotation works, Pouha and DeVito could be on the field at the same time with DeVito spelling Ellis or Marques.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes stats lie. I am not saying I am unhappy with the performce of the replacements, far from it, but the defense with Jenkins in there would have been better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think those stats say much about Jenkins though....

I think it says

A) Pouha and Devito have done an excellent job against the run in Jenkins's place.....although I will point out that neither is the pass rusher that Jenkins was though.

B) More importantly, and sometimes lost in the shuffle, is that our linebackers are much more comfterable within the system now, and doing a much better job at gap-protection then they were months ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha and Devito have been awesome in Jenkins spot.

But with Jenkins in this lineup, he takes it to another, higher level. I never seen one guy draw in 3 blockers like he did in the Saints game.